• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo design foir a model comany start up

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I have been working with a client in a logo design, He is starting a model company that will market flyng models of scale rockets and missiles. He wanted to empansize scale so we went with a micrometer. As the the font I gave twenty options and he picked one. The micrometer has only one issue as it is shorter than most micrometers. The Stem sticks way out the the right. I wonder if it would be okay to remove it.

Attachments

• InScale Logo.jpg
    InScale Logo.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 642

TimToad

Whether the client wants to emphasize something or not, if it doesn't relate to their product or service, using an irrelevant icon isn't going help sell more model rockets.

The micrometer you've chosen is too detailed and it overpowers the entire design. If you and he insist on a micrometer, I would turn it 90 degrees and have it measuring the caps on the name. The use of italicized fonts on such a tightly confined space between the calipers makes the font choices ill fitted and even more inappropriate.

When designing a logo, it's important to consider the demographics of the target audience. I'm predicting that the target audience is older teens to adults who are into science, engineering, space travel, science fiction, hands on hobbies, aeronautics, etc.

Try to design to those the client is hoping to sell to.

visual800

The micrometer, (even though I hate it) is too detailed, too complicated it separates itself from the name. Change the fonts, both of them suck. Lets start this over again, shall we? Make name more prominent, make micrometer secondary

Attachments

• inscale.jpg
    inscale.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 498

Johnny Best

I agree with Toad and Visual on the micrometer, hence the boy with the model showing the scale of the product. If you have to, show a scale of a more pleasing object, not a frigging micrometer!
If the customer wants a certain font or object, it is your job to make it look pleasing, not just paste some bad pic of a tool and keep the fonts just as they are. Anybody can do that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm not a fan of using the scale as a logo at all... I don't think most people (including myself) would recognize it and make the connection right away. Why not just use a silhouette of an airplane or something on a cleaner looking text... No more then two different colors.

TimToad

The micrometer, (even though I hate it) is too detailed, too complicated it separates itself from the name. Change the fonts, both of them suck. Lets start this over again, shall we? Make name more prominent, make micrometer secondary

I like the direction you've taken it, but why not flip the micrometer vertically in its current position, open the spacing between "In" and "Scale" and have the calipers measuring the word In?

Perhaps an italic and more open spacing for "model rockets" to suggest movement?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
The "micrometer" is not a micrometer, it's a vernier caliper. A real micrometer might be a better option.

JB

Big Rice Field

My error, yes they are calipers. I really appreicate the feedback. I will get back with the client and let him know that I got advice form sign professionals. This artwork will be going on product boxes. and not a commercial sign on a wall. But basic layout rules apply. I made the error of showing him 20 different font layouts and he picked one. I changed it to curves and skewed to to the right (Italicized) to idicate dymanic speed.

Gentlemen I really appreciate the feedback and will come up with some other designs based on the feedback. The customer is not always right.....

Big Rice Field

I got another idea. Dispense with the tools altogether and use some simple dimesnionson the letters. Oh,and instead of using a fictional sci-fil spacecraft I will use an iconic missile or rocket, like a Nike Hercules ABM or a Spartan or Sprint ABM. The Sprint was a simple cone shaped high speed last ditch intercept missile that was hypersonic. Its mold line would lend itself well to a simple logo graphic.

Attachments

• proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 525

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I miss the 70s...and my model rockets. They were a lot of fun, but they ended up being an expensive hobby for a paperboy's paltry income.

JB

TimToad

I miss the 70s...and my model rockets. They were a lot of fun, but they ended up being an expensive hobby for a paperboy's paltry income.

JB

Yeah, our route only enabled us to afford less intergalactic toys like those wonderful balsa wood plane models with a rubber band powered prop.

Marlene

Looking online at to scale model rocket kits, the packages all have graphics, photos and such. Did they provide you with mock ups of their package design? If so, I would look for a way to make the logo stand out, not blend into the package design. Some times simple, clean and strong works better than lots of graphics and way too many colors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I got another idea. Dispense with the tools altogether and use some simple dimesnionson the letters. Oh,and instead of using a fictional sci-fil spacecraft I will use an iconic missile or rocket, like a Nike Hercules ABM or a Spartan or Sprint ABM. The Sprint was a simple cone shaped high speed last ditch intercept missile that was hypersonic. Its mold line would lend itself well to a simple logo graphic.

Now, you're going to the opposite extreme. That'll come off as you're selling real rockets and guided missiles, rather than models. Ya need to find a happy piece of middle ground.