• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo for Me. Let the abuse begin.

rossmosh

Logo for me. B&W on the top obviously. Bottom two are two different color combinations. Colors still need tweaking. I'm going to try to work up another version over the weekend.

My #1 priority was making a logo that would look good when made into a dimensional sign, could be used in print, web, and promo type items. When making it a sign, I wanted it to be very strong but also didn't require a ton of time/technique to produce. There are a lot of really talented people out there doing really awesome truly 3d stuff. That's not for me. I like either the "New England" style v-carve or essentially stacking material at different thicknesses to create dimension.

Attachments

• RM-Signs-V100.jpg
    RM-Signs-V100.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 182

reQ

I like the bottom version. Colors look good. For some reason don't like B&W version... dunno why

WildWestDesigns

My #1 priority was making a logo that would look good when made into a dimensional sign, could be used in print, web, and promo type items.

Normally, I don't post on these types of threads, because I also look at it from an embroidery perspective and that's usually what makes my designs limited (at least initially), because I can't get away from that. But since you mentioned what is in bold, I think I would mention this.

Overall, I do like the design, but if you do plan to use this as an LC embroidery on shirts etc, that bottom text will be problematic from a size concern (even though the text itself is simple text, too much in a small area).

Just something to keep in mind and might want to have another design with embroidery in mind, if you chose to go that route. If not, disregard the post.

rossmosh

I like the bottom version. Colors look good. For some reason don't like B&W version... dunno why

I'm not thrilled with the B&W version to be honest. My background and main business is in engraving so I spend a fair amount of time converting logos to B&W. This is the only rendition that I found looked pretty good. There's no doubt the logo is primarily designed for color but I felt it was important to have a B&W version that works and I think that this does.

Normally, I don't post on these types of threads, because I also look at it from an embroidery perspective and that's usually what makes my designs limited (at least initially), because I can't get away from that. But since you mentioned what is in bold, I think I would mention this.

Overall, I do like the design, but if you do plan to use this as an LC embroidery on shirts etc, that bottom text will be problematic from a size concern (even though the text itself is simple text, too much in a small area).

Just something to keep in mind and might want to have another design with embroidery in mind, if you chose to go that route. If not, disregard the post.

Honestly, when I uploaded this image, I noticed the exact same thing. I'm not a logo designer, so it's tricky for me to catch some of the more obvious issues. I know if I wanted to put it on a pen, for example, the logo's bottom line is problematic. For embroidery, I think it might be okay. I really don't have an intention to embroider it, but what size would you typically make a logo for an embroidered polo/collard shirt? What's the minimum character size for something like that?

I think I'd break a few rules and make the logo something like this if I wanted to throw it on a pen or a shirt. One of the benefits of being a small business, is brand flexibility.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RM-Signs-V101.jpg
    RM-Signs-V101.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 207

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I like it, but I'd play around with the fonts a little more...Myriad is a nice font, but a bit boring for a logo.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like this last version much better. Too many things were visually dividing everything up, before. A good designer does that with fonts, colors, balance and weight, along with size and elements and/or flow.
I'm not too keen on the heaviness of that arch. I'd lessen it somewhat. Also, try tucking 'dimensional' up in there and put 'signs and letters' on the bottom line. Try spelling 'and' out. Last, lose that gradient or whatever it is.

WildWestDesigns

I really don't have an intention to embroider it, but what size would you typically make a logo for an embroidered polo/collard shirt? What's the minimum character size for something like that?

3.5" wide is what I would like to ideall have for an LC design as that fits a broader range of shirt sizes.

Character height, I don't like to have below .2", I know some that won't do less then .25". Stitch width I don't like less then .04". Each machine is a little different with what needs they have with min. sizing etc.

You would be amazed about what you get get away with if you know what to bend, what to break and when not to. That's why it's not always just easy to think simple is better.

Attachments

• Embroidery.jpg
    Embroidery.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 147

Billct2

Must be something wrong with me. I find it boring, nothing about gets across the "Dimensional" aspect.
I'd look at some simple prismatic fonts that look good on a logo and "customize" the name. Maybe some LHF fonts.

TimToad

I think its a good layout as a starting point. It feels a bit stiff for my liking and the tagline text seems to be crowding that enormous divider strip and border you've incorporated, but it is bold and with a little refinement could make a nice 3d sign.

I typically try to keep any borders or divider strips narrower than the stroke thickness of my biggest text to keep the eye from zeroing in on the shape instead of what I want the viewer to read first.

You have a lot of arching going on, but I don't feel like any of it except your name corresponds or accentuates any other element to any real benefit. The scallopped corners in the bottom are totally out of place in this theme and crowd your secondary text too much.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think its a good layout as a starting point. It feels a bit stiff for my liking and the tagline text seems to be crowding that enormous divider strip and border you've incorporated, but it is bold and with a little refinement could make a nice 3d sign.

I typically try to keep any borders or divider strips narrower than the stroke thickness of my biggest text to keep the eye from zeroing in on the shape instead of what I want the viewer to read first.

You have a lot of arching going on, but I don't feel like any of it except your name corresponds or accentuates any other element to any real benefit. The scallopped corners in the bottom are totally out of place in this theme and crowd your secondary text too much.

He's already discarded the original ideas and is now looking into his latest version on post #5.

rossmosh

I think there is a lot of valid advice here so I'm going to tweak this design keeping a lot of the ideas in mind and then try one other completely different design.

Below is the "original" design rendered in 3D. Likely I'll give the "RM SIGNS" a bit more of an effect by rounding over the corners rather than having the hard edge. I just got lazy and didn't feel like rendering that in.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• RM Signs View 1.jpg
    RM Signs View 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 185
  • RM Signs View 3.jpg
    RM Signs View 3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 193