• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo help, please!

Marlene

It looks like Tiki did what you wanted and you loved it. But, you are not taking the customer's ideas and working with them so their idea will be quashed by you and their response to your logo will not be as yours was to Tiki. And do not get me wrong, Tiki is a wonderful designer, he just listened to you and came up with all your needs, that is what is so appealing, he listens to his customer.

good points for sure. the thing is a customer wants all kinds of crap thrown into a design because the think they have to have it. they think if there isn't a sofa, no one will get that they sell furniture. do you do what they want and then show them what works? I think so and am wondering how many other do too. I would do one with her stupid ideas and then one like Tiki's so they can decide.

GoodPeopleFlags

I'm slightly offended by that, if what you are saying is that I don't listen to my customers because I do. In this case, no I did not put the birds on a couch holding a 2 because as a designer, I know that there are too many elements going on in that to make a good logo. You sketch was a good sketch - really! - but not a good logo. It is *exactly* what they asked for, but I want to give them something better than their ideas. That's why they're not designers. I want to be more than a software puppet. When I get my car worked on, I want them to fix the problem, not just do exactly what I tell them to do because I may not know what the real problem is. I trust them to be the professional and fix what needs to be fixed.

Kinda went off on a rant there. Sorry. That was mostly built up frustration about designing in general and not directed totally at you, John. I really appreciate you feedback.

Marlene

I don't think he was insulting you, at least I hope so. it just all goes back to customer input and just how much of it we should or shouldn't do. what they wanted was what they think they need which isn't always the best thing to do. I liked what Tiki did as it doesn't need to have a sofa to tell people what they do. it is simple, it is fun and it would make a nice sign, website and printed ad. what I liked was he took the cool birds that you did and then used a simple sans serif font in a really cool way. when I think funky lettering with some real style, I normally wouldn't think sans serif but will forever see it differently now.

John Butto

No insults intended towards you, what I am saying is when I want my car painted cherry red, I am not a car painter, do not give me your take on a color just because you can paint cars and have more talent in that field and you feel you are doing what you feel is best for me. I want cherry red, right or wrong I feel that is the color for me and I will be the one who is driving it around not you.

ucmj22

No insults intended towards you, what I am saying is when I want my car painted cherry red, I am not a car painter, do not give me your take on a color just because you can paint cars and have more talent in that field and you feel you are doing what you feel is best for me. I want cherry red, right or wrong I feel that is the color for me and I will be the one who is driving it around not you.

I totally get what youre saying, I just hate it when someone comes in asking for Cherry red, and showing me a swatch that looks more like cotton candy, then when their friends make fun of them for driving a pink car, they tell their friends that they asked for cherry red, and this is what the idiots at XYZ sign shop gave them.

Marlene

I get what you are saying but if that car painter knew that cherry red was a color used to express that I was a dimwit and I had no idea, I sure would appreciate his experience and his sharing that info with me.

when I go get my hair cut, I have a good idea of what I want it to look like. I have had my stylist tell me I should rethink an idea because of the type of hair I have or the shape of my face. I am glad that she doesn't just cut it to please me and shares her knowledge with me or I'd look like some women do who have a really bad hair cut. maybe this guy could use some input from the pros as this is what you get when you tell people what you want no matter what.

Attachments

• trump.jpg
    trump.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 101

John Butto

If Trump ask for a bird on a couch and a bird holding a 2 and he did not get it, you had better have something over the top, well you know what the reply would be.

Marlene

If Trump ask for a bird on a couch and a bird holding a 2 and he did not get it, you had better have something over the top, well you know what the reply would be.

it all comes down to giving the person what they want no matter what or giving them the benefit of a professional opinion. they go to a pro so you would think that they would want to get what they are paying for. Trump must be asking for that hair do but the whole world laughs at him for it, how fair is that really when he has paid a professional? of course, you will get people like him that want what they want so give it to them but most want what they want because they think they need it or have to have it. to just do it and say nothing just doesn't seem fair.

They wanted birds "kinda like partridge family birds" and retro colors.
in the first post, Blue Fish posted this request from them and it is clear that all the versions of this logo, from Blue Fish and others have given the customer the image that they they were looking for. the rest is add on ideas from them that just don't work as well as not having them. it isn't like they asked for retro colors and Partridge Family type birds and got cows instead.

GoodPeopleFlags

Here's the final version. Thanks, Tiki, for the great direction. I owe you a dinner! :notworthy:

Attachments

• 2UniqueBirds_Logo.jpg
    2UniqueBirds_Logo.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 102

signswi

Looks great but is are those birds stock art or did you draw them? If the later, really nice.

Stock art in logos is a no-no as if the client ever tries to trademark the logo they won't be able to, and most stock art licensing precludes use in logos.

GoodPeopleFlags

I drew them. I did find inspiration from 4 - 5 birds I found on Dreamstime and if you hold these up to those, you will see similarities but they're not the same as any of them and definitely not a copyright issue; the ones I took inspiration from also have similarities between each other but all are different. I drew some thumbnails on paper and scanned the one I liked best. Then redrew it in Illy, which actually turned out a little different from the pencil drawing. Then she wanted them fatter, so I changed it more. I'm not worried about any copyright issues. I'm flattered that you thought they could be stock art!

boxerbay

but want maybe brighter classy colors. Maybe fatter birds and have maybe one perched on a couch and the other holding up/carrying the 2?"

I hope you are charging hourly rates cuz this looks like a long one.

classy colors? what is that? Is she saying black is not classy? :)

one perched on a couch and the other holding a 2 - omg.

It's a logo not an illustration out of MAD magazine.

Good luck.