• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Longer cabinet face joining

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi all,
Im quoting a job for a restaurant with some cabinet signs with extra long (to me anyways) polycarb. One is 25" x 18', 4' x 24', and 25" x 29'. I think its pretty silly to use sheets in that length, and was going to use sheets in more manageable lengths, 8' mostly. My questions is how do you all do jobs like this. Do you use smaller sheets. If so, how do you attach them to each other or do you just slide them in and not attach them. I would think you would get light leaks. The poly will be white, with color lettering. So maybe light leaks will not be an issue with white sheets anyway. Feed back would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Doing a little searching on the internet, found that there are little connectors, kind of like h channels that slide on the side of the sheets and then you slide the other sheet into the other half? Anyone use these, impressions, distributors? Thx

Stormyj

Just another guy
Cut to size from roll stock, and just coil it up during transport.

ahh. I was wondering that. The plastic distributor I go through says it comes coiled and they roll it out and cut to length. Ive never tried to coil it back up. Didnt really think you could.

mbarden

"Joining Faces"

Hey there,
Please dont take this the wrong way but it sounds like you are in over your head. The only time you would ever use multiple smaller faces to make a "Single" sign face is when using pan formed faces, as they are structurally sound them selves and generally suppor their own weight. the reason you are not seeing managable 8' sections in the signs right now is because that does NOT work. Wind forces generated on sign faces can be quite severe even in moderate winds. If you were to try and piece these together you will be looking at failure.
Sorry, but I would not recommend it at all.
I would pass on this one or sub it out to an experienced electrical sign co.
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Thanks for the input. I do agree that this is a big job, however, after doing some more research and the suggestions here, all with talking to my plastic distributor, I think the rolls are the right way to go. I just have never used poly in rolls before so I didnt know what was to be expected. The signs are only about 12 feet off ground so that shouldnt be a problem. I was thinking you had to transport 24' lengths. But with being able to roll it up, it sounds like an easier job. Thanks all.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Keep in mind too, the bigger face is going to be in the 70-100 pound range depending on the thickness of the material.

Z SIGNS

Hi all,
Im quoting a job for a restaurant with some cabinet signs with extra long (to me anyways) polycarb. One is 25" x 18', 4' x 24', and 25" x 29'. I think its pretty silly to use sheets in that length, and was going to use sheets in more manageable lengths, 8' mostly. My questions is how do you all do jobs like this. Do you use smaller sheets. If so, how do you attach them to each other or do you just slide them in and not attach them. I would think you would get light leaks. The poly will be white, with color lettering. So maybe light leaks will not be an issue with white sheets anyway. Feed back would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

You can get your Lexan in one piece delivered to you rolled up and you can decorate the face but that is only a very small part of doing a 4x24 sign face.
Even with 2 boom trucks and a crane these kind of jobs are are difficult installs.

Close your eyes a imagine handling a 75 lb 4x24 sheet of plastic 20 feet in the air and trying to drop it into a cabinet or worse trying to slide it into a retainer that has who knows how many obstacles

If you do manage to slide or drop in a face in that big what will you do when they call you to service this beast ?

Don't despair though you can get through this by doing it in sections using techniques others have mentioned.

If you look around town at signs that are this big they are normally flex faces that are installed onto cabinets with hinged faces and or manholes for service.

decalit

I have done a 4' x 48' sign face in sections in the past. Over years with no problem. It even went through hurricane IKE. I used what "H" channel dividers between the pcs. But I used alum H channel for extra strength and used 1/4 lexan. You have to remember that the light is not going to show through the alum but it is hardly noticeable on a 48' sign. You just need to get with the client and see how they would like it done. My client wanted it in small pcs so they could slide one sheet out the end to replace bulbs when needed. Some People might not want those post showing at night. And remember... Im an rookie in this business... u might want t listen to the veterns with more experience.