• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Longest print, lam, cut file you do or have done?

Shadowglen

We run a Roland SP-540I and a VS-640 We have usually try to keep our print/cut length to 40" or less so we don't have vinyl banging on the floor. has anyone built a catch basket system or any other way to cut longer runs? Again this is print laminate and cutting with crop marks.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I don't know how else you'd do anything longer than that without having to physically move the material so it didn't stick together as it comes off the machine. Doing that is time-consuming and counter-productive. I'd say spring for the take-up reel or only do smaller pieces.

equippaint

We've done around 12' long print/lam/cut quite a few times. 5-6' is more usual for us. Ill use the take-up sometimes for printing stuff over 8' but once we laminate it I just stuff it back into the machine as a sheet and not on the roll. Our old roland needs to be babysat more when it cuts long runs so it doesn't buckle when it hits the ground, our Mimaki we just hit cut and let it go. I think a catch basket would cause a bunch of waves in the material when it was finished and make it harder to tape. Its easier if it stays flat. Maybe try a little deflector at the bottom to push the material outwards rather than straight down where it likes to wrinkle up.

Mysticalvibes

We've done 4m for the side of a van. As mentioned above though it does no harm to Keep a eye on it. I'd it one large sticker or multiple smaller one your doing?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

rjssigns

Longest on our Roland was 13 feet. Wife made sure the vinyl would keep the natural curve as it touched the floor.
Could try setting up some coro sheets. One in front, one in back to give the vinyl stability.

So far on our new Summa we've done 8 feet. I just make sure it's loaded correctly then walk away.

Baz

I keep all the backing paper left from my laminator. That means i have allot of rolls of the stuff. I use it to cover my work tables as need be and also use it on the floor when i know i will be cutting long runs of vinyl. Normally 8 foot lengths work. 4 feet behind the cutter and 4 feet in front. Keeps the floor dirt to a minimum going into the machine.

It is normal for us to chop up 12 - 16 foot lengths of vinyl at a time. Of course this is big graphics. Small stickers i keep under 3 foot lengths.

bannertime

200in was the longest I contour cut. It worked ok, but I really wouldn't want to do it again. I try to stay under 6 feet.

MikePro

same here, i try to keep under 8ft. whenever possible but feel more comfortable under 6ft. Have done a runs close to 20ft, but huge risk of expensive failure.

friction/tension is your enemy: overlaminate hanging off the edge that would drag/stick to machine as it cuts, material that is not squarely loaded, or front/back material coiled on itself adding tension to the feed of the machine ....will gradually tug your media off-track as it feeds forward/backward repeatedly.

Shadowglen

I don't know how else you'd do anything longer than that without having to physically move the material so it didn't stick together as it comes off the machine. Doing that is time-consuming and counter-productive. I'd say spring for the take-up reel or only do smaller pieces.
We have take-up systems on both Rolands, but they are of no use when you print, Lam, and cut using crop marks.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
We have take-up systems on both Rolands, but they are of no use when you print, Lam, and cut using crop marks.
So I'm guessing you're talking about when you get to the cutting part? Having run a Mimaki without a catch basket, I would- in that case- suggest a piece of cardboard under the machine while doing the job- that should keep the dust/dirt/debris off the floor from contaminating it.
That's one of the things I've always wondered about with all in ones like the Rolands, though- no catch basket? What it all you're doing is cut vinyl? Does Roland suggest something like having enough leader at the front and back to attach the job to the take up reel, or something equally ridiculous/wasteful?

burgmurk

I've run 3-4m prints through mimakis and summas with great results, but am currently running a Roland Camm-1 and I don't trust it at all. definitely would not even attempt anything half as long as that.

clarizeyale

same here, i try to keep under 8ft. whenever possible but feel more comfortable under 6ft. Have done a runs close to 20ft, but huge risk of expensive failure.

friction/tension is your enemy: overlaminate hanging off the edge that would drag/stick to machine as it cuts, material that is not squarely loaded, or front/back material coiled on itself adding tension to the feed of the machine ....will gradually tug your media off-track as it feeds forward/backward repeatedly.

I think the longest run for me has been about 15ft, more or less. these aren't my favorite as they took some time getting used to.

What I've gotten our team to do is to make sure they trim off the excess lam hanging off the edge as I've had jobs not even wanting to run because of these (almost gave up, noticed lam, trimmed it off, cut perfectly, now is a norm for us)

I don't use a take up or put anything on a roll as I've noticed I'll get more errors this way so I just let it all hang. Don't think I've had any issues with this.

As for loading it squarely, I've noticed with longer print and cut jobs, even if I try to get it on the printers take up reel all nice, it takes up all crooked... so when I put it on the cutter, the material isn't square and the plotter can't read the reg marks. Sooo.. other norm is to draw little tick marks at the edge of the material that lines up with the horizontal line of the crop mark. I use this to load the material square (we used to use a ruler or estimate that it's straight... not anymore!). If it still doesn't read, I watch how the material runs through and if it swings left or right a certain amount, I load the material, swinging it clockwise or counter-clockwise that difference. Run it again and the material is now "square" :)

If it's print and cut lettering, I make sure to go in Flexi and change the cut order so it starts at the "bottom" of the print and makes its way up without jumping from a random letter or shape in the middle of the print and going back down. Takes time but is definitely worth it to make sure it's not going to jump around and feed all crazy and then your letters get all wonky.

papabud

Lone Wolf
our average print lam cut job is 8 to 10 feet.
i have printed an entire roll before.
longest i have cut is 20 something feet.
i am lucky and almost never have to fight my equipment. they all run mostly straight and true.

Webcc

i have make one continues print with my sp300 on a lightweight banner 32 meters

photo.php

Last edited:

ams

I recently did a 4' X 30' banner. Had it across the room wall to wall on the floor. If it's a print/lam like a 15' piece, I lay it on the floor, because when I go to laminate, I use a lint cloth and wipe it down as it goes through. If it's a small piece or a double sided banner, thumb tack it to the wall.