• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for a stand alone humidifier

bigben

I'm looking for a stand alone humidifier for our production/office area. It's an open floor around 850 sqft with 8 ft ceiling. Right now, with our -30 celcius outdoor, our humidity is always around 25% (30% on a good day). I've contacted my local HVAC guy and he quoted me 3800$ including the installation of a Carel compactSteam ( https://www.carel.com/immersed-elec..._content/56_INSTANCE_i4q5KIMLInKK/10191/14030 ). I've googled humidifiers for large house up to 3000sqft and I could get away with a machine for less than 700$. I don't mind to refill the water every day or so. I just want to make sure I could get my humidity between 40%-50%. Thank you for your inputs.

Ben

weyandsign

I have a small vornado evaporative humidifier for a 650 sq. ft. room and it works really well. Except that the fan started making an annoying humming sound after a while.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gonna sound dumb, but can't you just place a few bowls of water in strategic locations ?? Unless this room is divided up with walls, curtains and all kindsa doo-dads, this time of year, it always gets dry. We have forced steam/w huge fans and the pipes and condensation returns are always giving off moisture..... and lots of it. We have abut 15' ceilings and about 8,800 sq ft. except in our 1,400 sq ft space for office and roll to roll printers.

bigben

Gonna sound dumb, but can't you just place a few bowls of water in strategic locations ?? Unless this room is divided up with walls, curtains and all kindsa doo-dads, this time of year, it always gets dry. We have forced steam/w huge fans and the pipes and condensation returns are always giving off moisture..... and lots of it. We have abut 15' ceilings and about 8,800 sq ft. except in our 1,400 sq ft space for office and roll to roll printers.
It's all open floor. I've tried the bowls idea and it work just a little and it's not constant. I've borrow a small humidifier that is rated for room around 500sqft (1 gallon I think) and after 24 hours, the humidity went up just 3-4%. I need something alot more powerful than that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I said, it's gonna sound dumb.

Ya ever see how in a restaurant, flower shop or someplace with plants, they have special watering systems in place to give all the plants water. I thought, if you could place 2 or 3 dozen big bowls out and have someone every morning fill 'em up with a bucket, it would save ya a lotta money. Take what, maybe 10 minutes in a rather small area like 850 sq ft.

weyandsign

Yes very low humidity in the winter here. If I run the humidifier for a week straight I can get humidity to over 55%. I don't run it everyday because it gets too humid.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I've been to large/industrial productions and they have these water misters pretty much directly connected to the water line in the roof.
It's not for you it seems like but I chimed in anyway.

equipment_257307_4488a391663cf0c5d23e052b3e257885a5bf77cc.jpg

spray_humidifier.jpg

bigben

I've been to large/industrial productions and they have these water misters pretty much directly connected to the water line in the roof.
It's not for you it seems like but I chimed in anyway.

equipment_257307_4488a391663cf0c5d23e052b3e257885a5bf77cc.jpg

spray_humidifier.jpg
I saw this before in a industrial environnement. In my case, the ceiling is not high enough for this. I would cause water droplet on everything.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Visit Homedepot or lowes and get a small humidifier- 850 sq ft doesn’t require much. We had a humidifier for the winter and dehumidifier for the summer, we stay right around 50% for our uv printers - Spent $300 on each unit roughly - each unit is rated for up to 3500 sq ft - my shop is 2600 sq ft - nothing industrial is needed for these small areas.

BKBRO

I'm looking for a stand alone humidifier for our production/office area. It's an open floor around 850 sqft with 8 ft ceiling. Right now, with our -30 celcius outdoor, our humidity is always around 25% (30% on a good day). I've contacted my local HVAC guy and he quoted me 3800$ including the installation of a Carel compactSteam ( https://www.carel.com/immersed-elec..._content/56_INSTANCE_i4q5KIMLInKK/10191/14030 ). I've googled humidifiers for large house up to 3000sqft and I could get away with a machine for less than 700$. I don't mind to refill the water every day or so. I just want to make sure I could get my humidity between 40%-50%. Thank you for your inputs.

Ben
We've been really happy with this unit:

We bought it to keep the humidity up for our UV and aqueous printers. It's quiet and cranks out the humidity. Ours is fed by a continuous R.O. filtered water line. It is connected to a humidistat so it turns itself on as needed. We haven't even had to change the filter yet (thanks to the R.O. water).

netsol

Gino,
Ever though the room is relatively small, they need to add about 2.5 gal. A day.
My wife does what you said. It would take 2 months for evaportion to empty the bowl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's not a matter of emptying a bowel. You'd put fresh water in them everyday. As I said, you'd put a series of them around. It's all about air movement. Sure, it will be more efficient with an expensive machine, sucking up electric and whatnot, but in a pinch, 8 or 10 shallow bowls with a ceiling fan aimed downward will most likely do the trick in that size room. Take a day or two til it's running effeciently, but it will work.

ProColorGraphics

I don't have easy access to a water line by the furnace at my shop to do a large humidifier, so I have 3 smaller ones placed around the area. They use about 15 gallons a day, running non-stop. Even then, the humidity might only get to the upper 30's.

The last one I got was a large ultrasonic type from amazon. I get sick of changing filters that crust over and become useless.

Ready

Ready To Go

Ben
You may want to take a look at this one on Amazon.

LEVOIT Humidifiers for Bedroom Large Room 6L Warm and Cool Mist for Families Plants with Built-in Humidity Sensor, Essential Oil, Air Vaporizer with Remote Control, Timer Setting, White​

Visit the LEVOIT Store

4.5 out of 5 stars 18,000 Reviews

Price:
$89.99 & FREE Returns