• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Looking for a........................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Self-healing mat.

I know there's different kinds out there and was never really interested in them, but I need to look into one or two presently. Are there various kinds, thicknesses, long vs. short term, sizes ?? Oh, and who's selling them ?? I asked two of my vendors and they don't handle them.

:thankyou: Gino

Last edited:

Snydo

Grimco sells them in various sizes and they are pretty decent quality and seem to hold up well. A 4' x 8' will run you a couple hundred bucks.

ikarasu

Check out yellow tools. They have a really thick clear one It's about twice the price, but worth it. If you have a rolls roller, it is like the healing mat on that. The Rhino brand that Grimco sells Isn't bad, but it is nowhere near as good.

Yellow tools is also by the Roll. So if you have a 20 foot table and you wanna cover at all with one mat, you could.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How about a self healing rug instead?

Masterclass-Self-Healing-Energy-Work.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa, he's so heavy, he's bending the walls, the floor and that gong is gonna roll away, soon. Also, thanks for all help, so far.

d fleming

Never really like them. My tables are covered in galvanized pans. 21 years old and still working like a champ. They have been painted on, cut on, hammered on, glued on, everything I can build indoors has been on these tables. Magnet sticks to it making holding things down or working on magnetic itself easy. Yes, it kills xacto blades but we buy them by the 100 pack for a reason right?

Andy D

Also, years ago, I looked into mixing & pouring my own mat & found the components ( I don't have the link, but it wasn't hard to find).
My thought was (and I'm not 100% sure this will work) once the mat got in bad shape, I wanted to "recoat".

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Andy, I'm guessing you haven't tried it yet? I'd be interested hearing about the process and the results - specifically the time with out being able to use it again - curing time etc

Andy D

Andy, I'm guessing you haven't tried it yet? I'd be interested hearing about the process and the results - specifically the time with out being able to use it again - curing time etc

No I didn't, I'm infamous for coming up with ideas, doing the research & then getting sidetracked.
Here is a link to a video:

Full disclosure: I have no idea if that mix makes a good cutting mat,

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
I can't help suggest a brand, but I can tell you I've ruined one by ironing on it! So be careful about heat, if that's helpful at all.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've been using Rhino for years and have been satisfied.
Been getting the Rhino mats; they are ok. We have to replace them every couple years, they don't seem to last that long. They just don't have the best 'healing' property, to me. After a while there's too many cuts in them.

2B

We gave up on "healing" mats.

we now use PVC board, 12mm or thicker.
we use a sander to smooth out the heavily scarred areas and when it gets too bad, flip it over and use side 2.
Toss when needed and buy another

Cheap and easy to replace and all vendors carry them

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what I've been using for years, but only a 3mm thickness. Works great, but lately, we've been running along and catching other grooves by mistake and it takes us off course. As small as it is, it's a pain, so I figured this self-healing stuff is better. Got a price just a few minutes ago for 2 pieces at $163. ea with free delivery Rhino 3/16" Seemed reasonable.

If I may, why did you give up on the mats ?? If I get 2 years out of the 3mm I feel lucky. Not the cost, just the pain changing things out all the time. How long did your mats last ??

2B

Healing mats have a life span and have the same issue of "grooves" changing the blade direction.
for the cost spent on mats, it is more effective to use PVC for us

we get a 60" x 120" 12mm delivered for $150.00.
$75.00 per side, typically get 1.5 + years per side