• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for an acrylic bending machine

Signscorp

wow that seems pretty out of line expensive to me. We used to have two around here and gave one away. It's basically just a rectangle with a heated element running through it.

I think you could get a brand name one for less.

bigben

wow that seems pretty out of line expensive to me. We used to have two around here and gave one away. It's basically just a rectangle with a heated element running through it.

I think you could get a brand name one for less.
I've tried to find something local or "brand name" and did not find anything. Do you have any suggestions or link? Maybe I don't use the right keywords?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
After reading this, I had this feeling that there's a thread about this. So searched our forum and found this: (not what I was looking for, but looks helpful)

Proudly manufactured in North America, Plexibend is top-rated Industrial Grade Plexiglas, Lexan, Acrylic, PVC, Cast Sheet, ABS softening and bending machine.

Industrial Grade Heavy Duty Strip Heater to heat and bend material (plastic... https://www.signs101.com/resources/acrylic-plexiglas-bending-machine.67/

bigben

After reading this, I had this feeling that there's a thread about this. So searched our forum and found this: (not what I was looking for, but looks helpful)

Proudly manufactured in North America, Plexibend is top-rated Industrial Grade Plexiglas, Lexan, Acrylic, PVC, Cast Sheet, ABS softening and bending machine.

Industrial Grade Heavy Duty Strip Heater to heat and bend material (plastic... https://www.signs101.com/resources/acrylic-plexiglas-bending-machine.67/
It's pretty basic machine. I'm almost sure it's China made. But at 650$, it's interesting. I've found a fully automatic machine made in Holland. I'm sure it's expensive, but if the jobs picks up, it will be very interesting to use.

solock

ebay has a few sellers of apparently the same machine, we have one of each of these and they do the job.
watercooled, and spare heaters are in the package.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, we have jigs set up for bending to our most common shapes.

plastic bender.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's only one workbench of many and they're all full of paint, glue and crap.

d fleming

Have a 4' one my brother purchased 20 some odd years ago from local plastics house when I sent him to pick up an order. Farco Plastics is who we got it from. Local vendor to us. Think I paid about 3-400 for it. I remember mumbling to myself when I saw it not to let him go to vendors locations any more, lol. Easy enough to build but the one I have works as good as the day we got it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just used it about a week ago. Had 18 signs for a grocery store that said..... Sorry, this lane closed and hadda stand up at the beginning of the conveyor belts.

sorry closed.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
3mil pvc flatbed printed, cut and then bent. Ya hafta be careful not to burn the ink around the edges while heating it up. There's no dial or monitor for this old stuff. Ya just need to now when it's cooked enough. Took about 15 minutes to bend 18 of them and another 20 minutes or 1/2 hour to stiffen up so they'll hold on their own. These little ones we stagger timewise and while one is being bent another one gets started. I used to use another jig to let them cool down, but we have the slanted desk so we just set them on precariously and they form up real well.

Signscorp

We have the exact model Boudica mentioned. It kind of looks like plexibend might be rebranding an even cheaper china product. But honestly these things are so simple they make sense to get from China.

I think your original model was so expensive because it also cuts acrylic. That's harder than bending it

White Haus

Not a Newbie
3mil pvc flatbed printed, cut and then bent. Ya hafta be careful not to burn the ink around the edges while heating it up. There's no dial or monitor for this old stuff. Ya just need to now when it's cooked enough. Took about 15 minutes to bend 18 of them and another 20 minutes or 1/2 hour to stiffen up so they'll hold on their own. These little ones we stagger timewise and while one is being bent another one gets started. I used to use another jig to let them cool down, but we have the slanted desk so we just set them on precariously and they form up real well.

We've had good success routing a groove in the back then giving it a shot of heat from torch or heat gun then bend over the edge of a bench in a pinch. (With 3mm pvc)