• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for help on Printers and getting into the wrap business

bugsysgraphics

I'm looking for some help and ideas for the equipment that I should buy for doing raps and prints. I have been doing cut vinyl for 10 years and im ready to make the big step. I see sign warehouse has these deals on the mutoh printers are they good for raps? Or is there better out there?Does anyone els have packages like sign warehouse? What should I be looking for and were can I find it? Who is using what machines? sizes,modles,software,ink or ribbon?

Mosh

I'm looking for some help and ideas for the equipment that I should buy for doing raps

Well to do "raps" check out the old Run/DMC stuff. If you are looking into doing vehicle WRAPS you are looking to spend $25K on the low side. IMO the package deals are too much. If I were you I would first order a print from someone and wrap your own vehicle and see how much work it is. It is WAY more than just slapping some lettering on the side of a truck. What we have are Roland 540's and seal lamiantors, and use Corel for most design work and versa for the RIP. Also you are going to need a dust free and heated/cooled a shop to do it in. Have you much experience in removing door handles, mirrors and emblems off vehicles without messing things up? That is a big part of the WRAP biz, removing stuff like that and getting it back on right.

The big thing they alway DO NOT mention is the LAMINATOR!!!!!!! Just my 3 cents.

fmg

You've come to the right place cos everyone and their uncle here seem to be doing them!

heyskull

Hell I've been in this business 27 years and I have all the equipment, training and space to do Wraps but have a huge problem....
No one round here is either willing or able financially to pay for a wrap.
Many customers want a full or partial wrap but when they find out the costs they shy away.

So i'll have to stick to making Signs....LOL

I certainly wouldn't like to just decide I'm gonna do wraps and hope it works.
Their is a lot more to it than just sticking the stuff on!

The laminator has to be included in the deal as you can't do wraps without one.

Good Luck

SC

painterjrm

Look for a used printer. I made the jump a year ago, and bought a used 54" Mimaki JV3. GOOD printer. The trick is to keep it running. If your market is good for digital print work (ie. signs, wraps, etc.), go for it. Great for banners, too.

I still don't have a laminator. I have a couple sources close by that will laminate for me at a nominal fee. Do that.

DON'T spend $25K if you don't think you can keep the machine running.

Good luck.

dwt

Out source to a Merchant Member here at S101, and let them make the payments and maintain the equipment.

300mphGraphics

I'd suggest taking a wrap class. See what they're using equipment wise, as well as everything else that is involved before looking at equipment packages.

fmg

Question is what's everyone gonna be doing when the wrap market dries up? ITS A FAD GET OVER IT PEOPLE!

andy

Hell I've been in this business 27 years and I have all the equipment, training and space to do Wraps but have a huge problem....
No one round here is either willing or able financially to pay for a wrap.
Many customers want a full or partial wrap but when they find out the costs they shy away.

So i'll have to stick to making Signs....LOL

I certainly wouldn't like to just decide I'm gonna do wraps and hope it works.
Their is a lot more to it than just sticking the stuff on!

The laminator has to be included in the deal as you can't do wraps without one.

Good Luck

SC

That must be why I hardly EVER see a wrapped vehicle when I'm tootling around the UK.... I know LOTS of sign companies have spent a fortune equipping themselves for wrap work.... I just wondered where all the wrapping work was?!

Personally I wouldn't DREAM of spending a penny on wrapping equipment unless or until I'd had a go at installing a wrap..... personally I HATED every minute of vehicle wrapping... stupid vinyl which wouldn't go where it was supposed to.. stupid customers who wanted to pay 3 bob for a whole wrap.... stupid long hours crawling over the bodywork of some stinking transit van, stupid teeny weeny profit margin, stupid waste of time.

Other people love wrapping so it's a case of different strokes for different folks... don't spend a small fortune on fancy toys just to discover you loath wrapping or are just pants at wrap installation.

bugsysgraphics

Thanks to everyones opinion. This is what im lookong for. My backround has been the auto body and repair business so taking the cars apart is no problem and we have plenty of space to even work on tractor trailers. The main target business I want to do is printing banners and signs but I also want to do wraps if needed. And know that I will need a laminator for any of the outside stuff that will need to last for more than a few years. I just want to spend my money wisely.We have been operating with flrxi 8 for the cut vinyl and corel draw,photoshop for some other design work so im not worried about that stuff. We just want to get good equipment and something I dont have to work on everyday.

bugsysgraphics

This is one of are current works

I just wanted to put up a picture of a bus company we do alot of work for. So you all can see we are not a fly by night company.

Attachments

• fred bus.jpg
    fred bus.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 200
W

wetgravy

Personally I wouldn't DREAM of spending a penny on wrapping equipment unless or until I'd had a go at installing a wrap..... personally I HATED every minute of vehicle wrapping... stupid vinyl which wouldn't go where it was supposed to.. stupid customers who wanted to pay 3 bob for a whole wrap.... stupid long hours crawling over the bodywork of some stinking transit van, stupid teeny weeny profit margin, stupid waste of time.

I don't know about the UK, but every wrap I have ever done has had a decent profit margin (sometimes borderline huge in some cases) and the 2 days of work to wrap a panel van by myself is some of the most lethargic and easiest work I've done at times. Even wrapping a VW bug from the 70's (not running mind you ... just a corner sign for a repair shop basically) was awesome even though it was a lot like wrapping an egg.

heyskull

I will tell you what is wrong with wrapping vehicles, etc. in the UK.
No one here realises the potential and are happy to waste huge amount of advertising capital on newspaper adverts and radio/TV that are either in the bin or forgotten tomorrow.
Mind you I have seen some bad wraps that were so busy you couldn't see what was being advertised.
The equipment we own is used for other signmaking projects but sometimes I wish I could do more.

We had some bubble free wrap material from APA which we used to wrap our van and to be quiet honest a monkey could fit it, it's that easy. I have never been blown away by a vinyl material as much as with that.

SC