• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for larger sheets for pole sign

SignGuy45212

Printing, Engraving, CNC Routing
I have a pole sign that holds a sheet size of about 7x8' - I wanted to use an ACM, but it's not an option to buy at that size. What sheets can I look to as an option?

I'll be laying a digital print on the surface.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It comes on a roll, not a sheet. It would hafta be cut and then you custom cut it to size, unless your vendor will do that for you. Your dealer should've told you all this.

SignGuy45212

It comes on a roll, not a sheet. It would hafta be cut and then you custom cut it to size, unless your vendor will do that for you. Your dealer should've told you all this.

A roll? ...This is an outdoor pedestal sign. That would be way too thin to support such a large span of 8x7.

SignGuy45212

Is this a backlit...... or was it originally made to fit backlit ??

The original was made for backlit, but later changed.
It looks like they added wood inside the framing, and now have screwed plywood as their sign.
The plywood looks to be hand painted and it's a mess from the weather.

I would like to know of any substrate that is 8x7 or more that I can use.
My only thought was to take 2 sheets of ACM, vertical and 2 sheets acm horizontal, bond them together so I can cut to size.
I really do not want to do this, but It's my only thought to achieve this size.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
I have a pole sign that holds a sheet size of about 7x8' - I wanted to use an ACM, but it's not an option to buy at that size. What sheets can I look to as an option?

Panaflex face with tension system or polycarbonate. Don't do panels. That will look janky. If they are super cheap 18 oz blockout banner with tension system.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Without seeing a picture of this structure, you should NOT do what you are planning. First, it sounds illegal. If that sign was originally made to specs for plastic sign faces, then you should stay with that. Once you alter the thing by adding framework, metal panels and whatnot, you are changing all the statistics. Therefore, no municipality will give you a permit without engineer stamped drawings and if anything would ever go wrong, it will be on you and if you did what you say you are planning to do, your insurance company would drop you in a New York Minute. Once you go outside the box, nothing legal will ever be on your side, especially in court.

MikePro

3/16" white polycarbonate.
as stated above, its stocked on a roll.... we have an 88" coil here at the shop, about 400ft, and i'm pretty sure it goes bigger than that.

any noteable plastic supplier should be able to cut it for you to size, roll&band it, and ship it to you.

Joe House

as stated above, its stocked on a roll.... we have an 88" coil here at the shop, about 400ft, and i'm pretty sure it goes bigger than that.

any noteable plastic supplier should be able to cut it for you to size, roll&band it, and ship it to you.

That is if they have it in stock. With almost all production going towards clear plastics lately, it is difficult to find.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Folks.... y'all are getting ahead of yourselves. All these do's & don't's..... it doesn't sound as if this OP is qualified to do this job, let alone tackle what is needed to be done. Let's wait til we see a photo of the existing job and go from there. Otherwise, this is all for naught.

SignGuy45212

Without seeing a picture of this structure, you should NOT do what you are planning. First, it sounds illegal. If that sign was originally made to specs for plastic sign faces, then you should stay with that. Once you alter the thing by adding framework, metal panels and whatnot, you are changing all the statistics. Therefore, no municipality will give you a permit without engineer stamped drawings and if anything would ever go wrong, it will be on you and if you did what you say you are planning to do, your insurance company would drop you in a New York Minute. Once you go outside the box, nothing legal will ever be on your side, especially in court.

Thanks for the kind words of assurance. I really appreciate this.

SignGuy45212

3/16" seems too thin to span 8 feet. I'm not comfortable with that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the kind words of assurance. I really appreciate this.

The real question is not how you feel, but are you qualified ?? For once, be serious about what you might be creating and what you might cause with your lack of knowledge of signs, physics and the law/codes. By the likes of your questions and silly accusations, you're are not whatsoever. What you wanna do, can it be done ?? Sure, of course. Safely ?? Not a chance. You have no clue as to the integrity of the pole or pad holding it up, yet you wanna add lotsa weight, that you don't even know if it can hold, let alone take the wind sheer. 8' x 7'...... that's one big frickin' sail you're putting up and won't have an ounce of give, let alone pull outta the ground with a good wind.

SignGuy45212

The real question is not how you feel, but are you qualified ?? For once, be serious about what you might be creating and what you might cause with your lack of knowledge of signs, physics and the law/codes. By the likes of your questions and silly accusations, you're are not whatsoever. What you wanna do, can it be done ?? Sure, of course. Safely ?? Not a chance. You have no clue as to the integrity of the pole or pad holding it up, yet you wanna add lotsa weight, that you don't even know if it can hold, let alone take the wind sheer. 8' x 7'...... that's one big frickin' sail you're putting up and won't have an ounce of give, let alone pull outta the ground with a good wind.

The pole and box is rock solid steel. It's not going anywhere. The L-bracket slides are also welded on and are very thick gauge.
I don't mind sliding in a material, it just needs to be the right material. This is all ideas being tossed around right now. I'm just not sure how to execute it yet.
--
Don't be offended by my comment. I really do appreciate your input.

Joe House

I think what Gino is trying to say is you're probably not the best one to judge if you're qualified for this job. The fact that you aren't familiar with Polycarbonate off of a roll, shows your lack of experience. It is a standard sign material for this type of sign cabinet. If it were just a matter of you getting sued when things go wrong, most people here would advise you not to go the route you're proposing and let you learn the hard way. But what you're proposing is likely illegal at best and more likely dangerous to you, the customer and anyone walking in the vicinity. You also risk giving the sign industry a bad name and possible tighter restrictions if things go very bad.
Most sign guys learn the how-to's of cabinet signs working along side a journeyman for years. I'm glad you realize that you're not sure how to execute this job yet. It's not a you tube education kind of thing. And it's not a "post a question on Signs101" education that you need for this. It's proper training that you need to do this.
I don't mean to discourage you from expanding your business. You would be better off hiring this done by a journeyman. Around here there are guys that do nothing but installs. Check with your sign supplier. They probably know one. You could ask him if you could assist, which would give you some exposure to this end of the business. Ask the journeyman what he recommends for a sign face. Let him look at the cabinet and get his opinion. Anything you get off of this website is just conjecture.

Good Luck.

pyramid signs

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED A RETRO FLEX FACE FRAME. THIS WOULD MOUNT TO YOUR EXISTING SIGN FRAME

Todd Jelle

I stumbled accross this thread looking for peoples thoughts on the new 3M envision & Panagraphics 3, vs the Arlon Flex & the old Cooley , It amazes me how some people think they are qualified. As I approach 60 year of age I've been at this trade for 30 years & I'm still learning everyday. I started with paints & quills in the late 80's. The sign business is challenging, yet rewarding as you never stop learning.
My newbie of 3 year hangs around mostly because he enjoys the wealth of info he learns on the many aspects of sign construction. He has found the sign industry crosses many skills & trades of other jobs, Hes learning everything from paints to vinyls, metal fab to engineering, Gold leaf gilding to Hand carving, Hand patterns to computer, LEDs to Neon, Electrical troubleshooting to Installs, Standard practices to tricks & innovations, The list goes on & on. One things for sure if you dive in the deep end & can't swim, I hope you survive. Its better to wade where your feet can touch until you learn to swim. Just the simple advice of an Old Sign Guy

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wonder whatever happened to this job ?? These are the kind that really interest me.