• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for my first laser cutter/engraver

bigben

Hello folks,

I'm doing my homework about laser cutter/engraver. I'm looking for a 36x48 bed that would be able to cut acrylic up to 1/2in and maybe very occasionally 1in thick. Other than that, it will be mostly used to make sign with 2 ply material. I've looked at big brand like trotec but the price of Chinese machine is very attracting. I've asked questions around to learn more between big brand vs chinese and always got a vague answers. I understand that a Trotec will be better, but a chinese machine is around 1/10 of the price. So even if I need to change the chinese machine every year, it will still be cheaper in a decade. Also, a chinese machine could be a good start since it won't be used everyday.

So long story short, I'm looking for someone that would give assistance to learn more on the subject and help in the research process.

Thank you.

rjssigns

I also want to get a laser for the shop and the offshore units have an attractive price point. Here is all I know. Local tech college runs Epilog lasers. Two to three classes a day five days a week. If a rig can stand up in a school environment that's a pretty good endorsement.

bigben

I also want to get a laser for the shop and the offshore units have an attractive price point. Here is all I know. Local tech college runs Epilog lasers. Two to three classes a day five days a week. If a rig can stand up in a school environment that's a pretty good endorsement.
In my case, if I go with a big brand, I will go with trotec. They have an office near me and the feedbacks I've got around is awesome. Epilog have a great reputation too, but the service part is far away from me. I understand che offshore brand will probably have a questionable customer service. But again, at 1/10 of the price, I could deal with it.

rjssigns

In my case, if I go with a big brand, I will go with trotec. They have an office near me and the feedbacks I've got around is awesome. Epilog have a great reputation too, but the service part is far away from me. I understand che offshore brand will probably have a questionable customer service. But again, at 1/10 of the price, I could deal with it.
If Trotec was next door I'd run with them. Although at 1/10th the price you could buy two offshore lasers(keep one for parts) and still be money ahead.

bigben

If Trotec was next door I'd run with them. Although at 1/10th the price you could buy two offshore lasers(keep one for parts) and still be money ahead.
Exactly my point. Even if I calculate shipping and everyting, with an offshore machine, I could change it every year for 7 years and still save money vs a trotec. If it was only a 30% variance, I would definitely go with trotec.

Gene@mpls

There is a very smart, knowledgeable gent on Youtube [SarbarMultimedia] who has a couple hundred vids researching CO2 lasers [chicom] and one of his latest was on... So you want to buy a laser? He sez [and he is correct] that buying a laser from china, your mindset should be that it will be a 'Kit' machine assembled by bottom dollar workers who most likely have never used a laser, from the cheapest parts and materials available. If you want the best outcome I would buy from a US distrib who imports them and tests them and then ships it to you. I have 3-4 I can recommend, it is a bit more expensive but they buy better machines and specify which parts they want in them from experience. For instance most Ruida Controllers are top notch. Unfortunately the good part mfgrs are now selling their seconds and many machines use those- good brand names, lousy parts. I have two 130w Reci tubes that are crap [$1500 each]. There are some very good machines and some very, very bad ones. By the by- the big buck machines are better at engraving but no real improvement for cutting. Gene

CanuckSigns

Hi Ben:

We have had 7 or 8 Trotec machines over the past 15-20 years, they are absolute workhorses, however Trotec has saturated the market and are now trying to develop new income streams since pretty much every shop around here that wants a trotec machine has one. They have started really really pushing their subscription maintenance package, and they just developed a web browser based software that controls the laser that will eventually replace their standard control software, the software is currently free, but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a subscription as well. The idea of paying a monthly fee to run a machine I just dropped $70,000 on rubs be very much the wrong way.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
See novakon.net for a decent reseller and look at those machine's parts versus the sub 1000 machines on eBay.

You can buy yourself but the safer bet is the reseller route.

Chinese lasers are fine for cutting and OK, but not competitive, for engraving.

Check out laser resale too, might get a deal on a us made machine.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
There is a very smart, knowledgeable gent on Youtube [SarbarMultimedia] who has a couple hundred vids researching CO2 lasers [chicom] and one of his latest was on... So you want to buy a laser? He sez [and he is correct] that buying a laser from china, your mindset should be that it will be a 'Kit' machine assembled by bottom dollar workers who most likely have never used a laser, from the cheapest parts and materials available. If you want the best outcome I would buy from a US distrib who imports them and tests them and then ships it to you. I have 3-4 I can recommend, it is a bit more expensive but they buy better machines and specify which parts they want in them from experience. For instance most Ruida Controllers are top notch. Unfortunately the good part mfgrs are now selling their seconds and many machines use those- good brand names, lousy parts. I have two 130w Reci tubes that are crap [$1500 each]. There are some very good machines and some very, very bad ones. By the by- the big buck machines are better at engraving but no real improvement for cutting. Gene
He's also (thankfully) just starting a "summary" series as watching the other 100+hours of content is a little dry.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Look into ThunderLaser machines. We bought the Nova 51 (100w) which is pretty much the size you're asking about:
Ours rolled out of the crate calibrated and ready to use.

It's been flawless for nearly 2 years now. Cut quality is fantastic. Engraving speed is good, but nowhere near what a Trotec/Epilog will get you (for 10x the price).
We cut 10mm acrylic @ 4mm/sec on our 100w and the edges look like polished glass requiring zero finishing before use. You may want to opt for the 130w model to do 1/2" acrylic to speed things up a little.

dudeinthemoon

There is no huge difference in the parts used, operating methods or even working speed between famous manufacturers and random Chinese brands in my experience. All of them using the same CO2 bulbs which wattage depends of your needs, mirrors, lenses, engines etc. The main difference as far as I know in the software used to control it and maybe the lifetime which may vary but only the bulb installed (its power and durability) might affect the main requirements. And you able to buy and install any bulb will fit inside and any of them that the installed power supply will handle. For all high power CO2 lamps 100+Watts you have to use the chiller which increase the bulbs lifetime.

rossmosh

You need to decide what is going to be your primary revenue stream. People have been importing Chinese lasers for nearly 10 years now. It's pretty much known the good and the bad. Now it just boils down to what's right for you.

If you're going to focus on cutting. Get the Chinese laser. It's pretty much a no brainer. You'll be able to do some engraving, but don't expect it to do super detailed work. Especially with a 150W tube.

If you're going to focus on engraving, get a smaller, lower powered, Western laser that's more affordable. A 80W Trotec will cut 1/2" acrylic. On 1" stuff, you'll just have to outsource to someone with a 400W laser, like Gemini.

Lasermike

Look at Boss Laser. They import from China but have a very good reputation for backing the equipment that they sell.

We have purchased a G Weike laser, from a local US dealer for much less than Laguna that sells the same exact machine for 2-3X as much.
We cut 1/2" acrylic all the time. I think it's a 150w 36x48, we cut acrylic to 32"x48" to get 3 sheets per parent sheet of material and do our pieces from there.

These are the local dealers:

Robin Yuan

Castaly Machine

Office; 1-626-9686330

Cell; 1-562-889-1168

image001.png

Gene@mpls

I can also recommend Rabbit laser, Light Object in Calif, Automation Tech in Chicago- I have either bought from them or visited them and they are legit.
Dude- There is a huge difference in some parts- as I mentioned the big names in parts are now selling their reject parts out the back door and they are finding their way into even good quality machines- as I said I bought one 1800x1300 machine with two Reci tubes that the beam pattern is so screwed up that they cannot be aligned. I also bought a 130w Reci from china with the same beam pattern problem. If you buy from a reseller, their vendors know that they will get the bad parts back [they screen the machines and make sure they will align] so they do not try to pass off second quality parts. I have been buying, fixing and living CO2 lasers for 6 years and am a monitor on a Ruida forum for almost that long and talk to hundreds of people with problems- most bought on Ebay or Amazon. It is [even more lately] a crapshoot- you may get a good one or....
As for 100+watt tubes not doing fine engraving- that is a wives tale- my last two machines were 130w [one 1300x900 and one 1800x1300] and I do a lot of fine engraving and cutting.

Attachments

• AccTEk AJK1318-2 engrave.jpg
    AccTEk AJK1318-2 engrave.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Adirondack chair.jpg
    Adirondack chair.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Bodor tests - nozzle alignment-10.15.16.jpg
    Bodor tests - nozzle alignment-10.15.16.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Chair lumbar.jpg
    Chair lumbar.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 1300x900-130w engraving.jpg
    1300x900-130w engraving.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144

Milo

Trotec. I had the option of low cost vs the top of the line, and Trotec was my choice. Their tech support is very good, and will help you with any questions or issues. $3,000 machine, or $26,000 machine with the same size cutting table? There has to be a reason for the higher price, and it is quality.

fixtureman

A Trotec at 10 times the price should get you a lot of support. Yes they are better built but to recoup that you would need to do a lot of work. I have 2 of the Chinese lasers and can say that I have had good luck with both.

jgarcia_

Hello folks,

I'm doing my homework about laser cutter/engraver. I'm looking for a 36x48 bed that would be able to cut acrylic up to 1/2in and maybe very occasionally 1in thick. Other than that, it will be mostly used to make sign with 2 ply material. I've looked at big brand like trotec but the price of Chinese machine is very attracting. I've asked questions around to learn more between big brand vs chinese and always got a vague answers. I understand that a Trotec will be better, but a chinese machine is around 1/10 of the price. So even if I need to change the chinese machine every year, it will still be cheaper in a decade. Also, a chinese machine could be a good start since it won't be used everyday.

So long story short, I'm looking for someone that would give assistance to learn more on the subject and help in the research process.

Thank you.
I understand your dilemma, and considering your requirements and budget concerns, I highly recommend looking into Monport lasers. They offer cost-effective solutions, capable of cutting acrylic up to 1/2in thick. Monport lasers are known for their reliability, and while the initial investment may be lower than big brands like Trotec, they provide efficient performance for your needs.

mikeefly

We have an AP Lazer 4836 and it works great. We regularly cut/engrave material up to 1/2" thick. Our leftover acrylic has become usable again for trophies and custom smaller signs. It has really expanded our options and offerings.

Attachments

• 20230903_204651.jpg
    20230903_204651.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 20231013_141540.jpg
    20231013_141540.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 20231012_133027.jpg
    20231012_133027.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 57