• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for opinions

Z SIGNS

Got a job designed by an architect.
The specs are halo lit channel letters.Black face and returns installed to a white eifs background.
My concern is that it will be hard to read,black letters that make a black shadow, especially at a slight angle.
Also concerned that the eifs will absorb the light and not make decent halo.
I'm thinking of proposing white or brushed letters mounted to a dark colored panel.
What do you think?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
hmm,
i've never met an architect who could wrap his head around the fact that he could be wrong, and anyone else could be correct. good luck with that

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If they want visibility along with a halo, use face-lit channel letters with a contrasting cloud and halo behind the cloud. No matter which way you slice it, just doing a halo it makes it hard to read at night.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
The specs are halo lit channel letters.Black face and returns installed to a white eifs background.
My concern is that it will be hard to read,black letters that make a black shadow, especially at a slight angle.
I'm thinking of proposing white or brushed letters mounted to a dark colored panel.
What do you think?
The halo lighting should show up fine. Lighter surfaces actually reflect the halo lighting better. As for the shadowing, you could make the depth less. Depends on height of the letters. Gemini goes down to 1in deep. You still get shadowing due to the standoffs. What you suggested isn't a bad idea. Another option is a different color return , like silver or gray. It will help lighten the shadowing, giving some contrast.

Mr. Signboy

What do you think?

I think you’re going to be just fine with black letters on white background. I have a customer that uses this exact spec on all their locations and they look really nice. I typically do 3”returns with 1.5” spacers.

Z SIGNS

The halo lighting should show up fine. Lighter surfaces actually reflect the halo lighting better. As for the shadowing, you could make the depth less. Depends on height of the letters. Gemini goes down to 1in deep. You still get shadowing due to the standoffs. What you suggested isn't a bad idea. Another option is a different color return , like silver or gray. It will help lighten the shadowing, giving some contrast.
Thanks I agree. Wall signs are always seen from an angle.Small chunky letters all the same color look like streaks of whatever color they are.I drew this up for the architect to show them what to expect
. Eyecare grey returns.jpg Eyecare blk.jpg

Last edited:

Z SIGNS

If they want visibility along with a halo, use face-lit channel letters with a contrasting cloud and halo behind the cloud. No matter which way you slice it, just doing a halo it makes it hard to read at night.
I agree. That's a nice way to make a sign nowadays.Easier to fab and install and looks good.

visual800

When I deal with them I do as they ask AND I do a side by side of MY suggestion. Some have been cool but most will not belittle themselves to my lower form of street education. In that case the job will be done, the job will be messed up and if the client has an issue go tell the architect, its not my problem.

The year was 2011 or 2012. I got some architect renderings for some window decals. these decals were printed on 3M Clearview 8150. The area that this was located in was the pool. As a matter of fact someone on here printed them for me. I told the architects and the clients I suggest not to go this route because the windows were already a faint tint of green on the building they would do better to use translucent vinyl. NOPE..... 3M had convinced them this was the route to go. They were printed and we installed lets just say when the local university powers to be were all standing there looking at finished product they were less than impressed. I was questioned about color and why is it not showing up.

I firmly reminded them the colors that were used were from the architects. I also reminded them I suggested not to do this project as it would not have the results they were thinking it would. I took pics of this project when done but the art didnt show at all in the pics, you couldnt even tell what the design was.. More state education money down the drain. If you wanna get a better idea of how large this project was check out the little dude left corner

Attachments

• AUM WELLNESS BID.jpg
    AUM WELLNESS BID.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 283