• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Plans for work tables

Johnny Best

gnubler paying off handyman and next step to test height of table with him. Those rollers adding some fun.

Attachments

• payoff.jpg
    payoff.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 145

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just recovered 2 of our large tables a few weeks ago with some leftover poly signs we replaced. One is 28' long and the other is about 22' long. Both about 44" deep. These used to be hand lettering tables. They have a slight pitch to them. About 38" in the front and 42" at the back. The old tops were on for lotsa years. They were duron with about 5 or 6 coats of oil clear coat. Sanded them down about 15 years ago and recoated them. This time, we had extra faces, so we just put them on, trimmed them, screwed them (counter-sunk) right into the old ones and put the trim back on. Have 2 tables in the one garage bay with 30" x 144" poly tops on each side, too. They'll outlast me, that's for sure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not these tables. Other than vinyl fluids, not even a soda can or water jug for drinking is allowed on those tables. There are plenty of other tables or stations to put big messy things. When things are unloaded here, I have a 4' x 10' rolling table or a 42" x 10' table. Both on wheels and the sh!t things go on them and we have scrap Cor-X on them to prevent any real messes on the actual table itself. I put a nice burn mark on the one, when my heat gun fell over and scorched it a little, but to me, it adds character. To anyone else, they just know, I pay for this sh!t, so I can f*ck it up, if I want...... keep your face shut.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Formica is hard, not great for sliding something around that you don't want scratched, and it holds a cut line forever, making any new straight cuts a real pita as the blade hits and drops into the premade cut. I'd go on and pick up some poly or hdpe for a bit more and be done with it. Don't forget to countersink the screwheads.
All of ours have formica, it's nice can you can get it in a single piece 5 x 12, it's pretty durable stuff. When it gets real tore up, scuff it and go back over the top with a new sheet. We have a cutting mat on one for the reason that you said.

gnubler

Any construction plans for this table?
We really need to build one. This looks like exactly what we need!
No plans, I hired a woodworker and he did a great job.

I was inspired by coming across this example for a 4x8 table, which goes into detail with a material list and instructions.

Update on my table: the little ledge on the side of my table to hold my saw tracks wasn't the best idea. I keep bumping the corners of the track and once knocked it to the ground. No bueno. I'm going to amend it somehow, or maybe cut my 108" track down a bit.

lonesomeagle

No plans, I hired a woodworker and he did a great job.

I was inspired by coming across this example for a 4x8 table, which goes into detail with a material list and instructions.

Update on my table: the little ledge on the side of my table to hold my saw tracks wasn't the best idea. I keep bumping the corners of the track and once knocked it to the ground. No bueno. I'm going to amend it somehow, or maybe cut my 108" track down a bit.
Much Thanks for the tip

We're pretty handy here, going to use those as a starting point

Pete

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good point and I don't know why ya'd need 6 wheels, so only make 2 swivel out of 4. That'll be like those clumsy carts at home depot. Hate those things. If ya build it right with the wood running the right direction fr strength, 4 will be more than enough. Get good casters, too. Don't skimp on them.

GB2

Old Member
If you don't want to build them I would suggest Steel Sentry. I bought a few tables and a corner desk a few years ago. I think these will last forever. They are fully customizable too. https://steelsentry.com/workbench-furniture/sign-making-table/
Those look like a nice option. The Rhino tables seem like a pretty good choice too:

gnubler

Finally got my 5x10 table painted and topped with a sheet of red Formica. I dismantled the saw track holder along one side and will figure out a better solution. Gino mentioned not needing six casters, but the person I hired to build the table recommended six and there's also six in the build plans posted above. My 4x8 table only has four casters.

20230312_142723.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Finally got my 5x10 table painted and topped with a sheet of red Formica. I dismantled the saw track holder along one side and will figure out a better solution. Gino mentioned not needing six casters, but the person I hired to build the table recommended six and there's also six in the build plans posted above. My 4x8 table only has four casters.

Nice, is that Ferrari red? I have that same shopping basket in black - got 2 of them dumpster diving.

Cheezer

I built this table several years ago. All welded steel with locking scaffold wheels. The main rails are 5" channels which keep it perfectly flat. It's 5' X 12' and has been fitted with a 1" MDF top and Rhino self-healing mat. We then mounted a 12' Keen Cut Evolution benchtop trimmer to one side. It rolls extremely smoothly and the wheels lock down with zero movement. Thinking about adding gutters to the sides to hold long rolls when cutting. Used some old sign panels underneath for a ton of storage. Happy to post a photo of the finished table with the cutter attached if anyone is interested.

Work Table.JPG

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I built this table several years ago. All welded steel with locking scaffold wheels. The main rails are 5" channels which keep it perfectly flat. It's 5' X 12' and has been fitted with a 1" MDF top and Rhino self-healing mat. We then mounted a 12' Keen Cut Evolution benchtop trimmer to one side. It rolls extremely smoothly and the wheels lock down with zero movement. Thinking about adding gutters to the sides to hold long rolls when cutting. Used some old sign panels underneath for a ton of storage. Happy to post a photo of the finished table with the cutter attached if anyone is interested.

View attachment 164489
Looks sturdy enough that it could also be used as a frame rack for collision repair.