• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Looking for some advice on a laser cutter mainly only cutting thin plastics

Chosen23

One man shop
Hi, I am looking to purchase a laser cutter and need some direction and advise in what would be suitable for my needs. I usually need to cut the following types of plastic and generally everything is under 48" long.
Thanks In advance.
PETG .060
Acyrlic .093
Acyrlic .125

DerbyCitySignGuy

Hi, I am looking to purchase a laser cutter and need some direction and advise in what would be suitable for my needs. I usually need to cut the following types of plastic and generally everything is under 48" long.
Thanks In advance.
PETG .060
Acyrlic .093
Acyrlic .125

We have a 48" x 24" 150W laser, but we're also cutting thicker plastics. Depending on your budget, it might be worth getting a higher wattage just for those times when you DO need to cut thicker plastics (it'll also make quicker work of thinner materials).

Universal makes a very good product, but it's a little more expensive. Haven't used one in a while, but they have great support and a large catalog of accessories. We're currently using a Gravograph, which I have a few complaints about, but nothing that would stop me from buying another one. We were looking at BOSS Lasers as well, but never got around to seeing a working model since they were closed down for a hurricane when we were shopping.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks DerbyCitySignGuy, for the info and feedback. Have any knowledge on this unit seems very reasonable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/130W-CO2-L...R-1400X900MM-DSP-METAL-EQUIPMENT/182794163402

also this is the chiller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Vevor-...Water-Chiller-for-CO2-Laser-Tube/263666797804

Definitely a very reasonable price, BUT these are (most likely) Chinese manufacturers and you DO get what you pay for. There will be virtually no support, no replacing parts, and so on. So, if something goes wrong and your equipment stops working, there's a very good chance the company has already closed their doors and you potentially just ate $5k+.

That being said, if you're not going to be running it 24/7 and just using it here and there, you might be just fine. I know there's a steep price jump, but there's something to be said for buying a product from an established manufacturer that's likely to be around for a while (we had a Universal that lasted for over 15 years).

Sindex Printing

I currently have a Trotec Speedy 400 80w. As of right now I would not buy another Trotec. I have had 3 different techs (4th one is scheduled tomorrow) on site in within the first year of ownership dealing with power issues. Epilog makes a quality product.
I would really look in to the boss lasers the price point was really good.

rossmosh

Without getting into too much detail, you want a Chinese machine. It's going to give you the best bang for the buck considering you're cutting and not concerned about engraving.

DO NOT buy from Ebay. Those guys are just selling stuff. The same guy selling a laser is selling a can opener. You either want to buy directly from the factory in China (you will have to deal with customs, importing fees, and the new tariff) but typically it's the most cost effective option. Otherwise there are a bunch of companies that sell Chinese machines in the US. You pay more but theoretically your risk level drops considerably. Also they typically can deliver in a week or two vs going directly to China takes no less than 1 month.

Superior_Adam

I currently have a Trotec Speedy 400 80w. As of right now I would not buy another Trotec. I have had 3 different techs (4th one is scheduled tomorrow) on site in within the first year of ownership dealing with power issues. Epilog makes a quality product.
I would really look in to the boss lasers the price point was really good.

Well I would have to say the exact opposite of Trotec. We have 3 Trotec lasers. We have been using Trotec for 10 plus years and only had a tech out once. We do our standard maintenance ourselves. We have had to send the arms back in to have new bearings installed a few times but that is expected over time.

Sindex Printing

Well I would have to say the exact opposite of Trotec. We have 3 Trotec lasers. We have been using Trotec for 10 plus years and only had a tech out once. We do our standard maintenance ourselves. We have had to send the arms back in to have new bearings installed a few times but that is expected over time.

That is what we expected when we made the decision to go with Trotec. Im sure they will figure it out until then I couldn't reccomend it until it is fixed. Every manufacturer has one machine that just has some strange issue. I will say when the machine works it is very impressive the quality and detail it will produce.

Gene@mpls

If you go with a Chicom laser [some are very good, along with the crappy ones- mostly on ebay] and for what you mention I would, sign up for rdworkslab.com - we know Chinese lasers and their issues.

ChicagoGraphics

I saw that laser machine at one of the trade fairs in Hong Kong not long ago, it did a decent job from what I saw. Not everything from China is junk these days, in a few years they will be right up there with Japan's products.

ChicagoGraphics

I saw that laser machine at one of the trade fairs in Hong Kong not long ago, it did a decent job from what I saw. Not everything from China is junk these days, in a few years they will be right up there with Japan's products.

fixtureman

I bought this laser from this seller and I am very happy with it. My contact was Monica from Goldraydigital and she was fantastic to work with. I ordered it on a Friday and received it the next Wednesday. I did have one small problem the fan in the chiller wasn't working and I emailed them a video of the steps that they wanted done and they shipped out a new fan the next day

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130W-CO2-L...h=item33fc688ff9:g:DXoAAOSw-pNb6NtB:rk:8:pf:0

Gene@mpls

Fixtureman- that has a quality look- the Reci tube and 5200 chiller are excellent and Ruida controller is the best IMHO. I would not use the outlets on the back before a close electrical inspection- those are commonly not well done. Gene

fixtureman

I am not using the back outlets this is my second laser. My first one had to small a bed for some of the jobs I do. This one is so much faster cutting Acrylic also.

Sindex Printing

That is what we expected when we made the decision to go with Trotec. Im sure they will figure it out until then I couldn't reccomend it until it is fixed. Every manufacturer has one machine that just has some strange issue. I will say when the machine works it is very impressive the quality and detail it will produce.

Trotec got the problem fixed. They basically put in almost everything that could have an issue. They replace the boards, laser tube and power supply and it seems that the issue has been fixed. It is now working better that we expected when we purchased it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

This is true. Even now most stuff out of China is only 50% junk (versus a decade or so ago where it was like 95% junk).