• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for tips to help in the short term.

theprintlabtx

I am printing a job for a customer and am really worried about how it's printing and I am not comfortable giving this to the customer at it's current quality. We have a second hand Roland XC-540 that wasn't properly maintained. And so we are trying to make due until we can replace the heads or the machine altogether. I was going to toss this out to you guys and see if anyone has suggestions on what I can do until we can afford to do what is needed.

Issues: Blue haze around edges of lettering, the "pink" parts art supposed to be a slightly darker blue (the greys also come out pink).

I have tried: Bi-directional alignment, head cleanings, adjusting color profiles in versaworks. various head speeds and profiles.

Also, if anyone can tell me why Lt. Cyan is printing the nozzle check like that I would appreciate it.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 72

rjssigns

Start by cleaning the encoder strip. That will help clean up the over spray. Someone just posted about their rig printing curvy. Said they thoroughly cleaned the carriage rail and lubed it. Said that cured the curve in the test.

Looking at the test print you have deflection from head strikes. Nothing can be done about that.

The dropped nozzles are another thing altogether. Are you using OEM or third party inks? I've had third party ink clog nozzles. Fortunately I stopped running the ink right away and my tech was able to recover the heads.

That should keep you busy.:cool:

theprintlabtx

We are using 3rd party inks, but the person I got the printer from has been using 3rd party inks for a couple of years in it. So I would assume it's too late to do anything about it. I will try cleaning the encoder strip. Any thoughts on the pink greys and light blues?

rjssigns

You may need new cap tops. Not real familiar with the head set up on your rig. Does it have 2, 3 6 heads?

3rd party inks tend to eat up cap tops and dampers faster.

Techman

On clogged heads using third party inks.
This is what I gather from studying the composition of ink a little.
Pigment ink is made using ground up particles. Good ink has a specific electrical charge on each particle that causes them to repel each other while in solution. That is why you do not see the ink settle out while sitting on a shelf. That charge makes those particles stick better on the substrate as well.

Lesser quality ink has a no or a very weak electrical charge that allows the ink particles to settle and gather around each other. This causes clogs.