• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy printer, 54”

Ltstickers

What’s the current top manufacturer.. Roland?

mom looking at a Roland truvis vg2 or equivalent or is there another brand that is recommended. Also curious about the maintenance and upkeep for them anybody got any tips or complete me in a direction to read up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking to buy new, used or whatever ??

This is like asking if there's a good car manufacturer to buy. It's mostly gonna be personal preference, budget and tech support.

Are you capable of maintaining it yourself ??

Do you know what you want to print..... what's your niche ?? Or, what's your target audience ??

Do you have a place to buy your supplies after you get a printer ??

You're most likely gonna need a laminator, do you have any of those in mind ??

Do you have the space for vinyl storage, and the two machines and then a working area ??

Ltstickers

Are you looking to buy new, used or whatever ??

This is like asking if there's a good car manufacturer to buy. It's mostly gonna be personal preference, budget and tech support.

Are you capable of maintaining it yourself ??

Do you know what you want to print..... what's your niche ?? Or, what's your target audience ??

Do you have a place to buy your supplies after you get a printer ??

You're most likely gonna need a laminator, do you have any of those in mind ??

Do you have the space for vinyl storage, and the two machines and then a working area ??
New

It cost what it cost, looking for something that is more reliable then full of Bella and whistles, I’m not doing ultra high quality 4K displays, mainly simple solid colors, letters and lights graphics.

so low down time, good tech support and I am capable of the maintenance

so far, I’m registered on the website grimco

I’m looking at a cwt table for laminating

I have a 2 car garage. And plenty of space

MikePro

no personal experience with the brand, but I see a lot more "help me" threads related to rolands than any other brands.
...could also just be due to their popularity, so I'm not gonna knock the brand based on randomly poor reviews, but I've always been a fan of mimaki in whatever realm that Roland exists.

if its your first printer, however, I would recommend an HP latex due to simplicity. literally like operating a desktop printer.
but, ultimately, if you have the ability to wait a month before taking the plunge....there's a Graphics Pro Expo in Long Beach, CA on Aug.12-14 that you can see all the latest and greatest in-person. Else, Grimco would make efforts for you to visit some of their demo units.

Last edited:

Ltstickers

That CWT table is not going to be good for traditional laminating, mostly smaller runs. Its really built to mount vinyl to large panels with just 1 guy, very very quickly. It will also take up more room that 1 car. Look at a traditional roll to roll laminator to start with, I have a GFP 563TH, it works well.
For a printer, especially a first printer, it's hard to beat a latex for simplicity. Most issues are fixed pretty quickly by throwing parts at it, same day lamination capability, no worries about clogged heads with even a week's worth of no prints. Just make certain if you're getting a 54" printer, get a 54" cutter. Our first printer was 60", but the plotter was only 54", leading to at least one wasted print that I can recall...
Hey thanks for that valued input. I also want that table(be it a smaller one) because I have used it previously and even just for applying transfer tape 24” and upwards it’s just makes it Soo easy

Unless I can find a rolling system to attach to an existing table. Im looking at a 5x6 table at minimum .

I actually have a 54” cutter now. Im starting to lean towards latex, even looking at getting a 24” HP for starters priced at 899$ not to shabby, unless I should just buy the big one up front, but I figure the little guy can be used for quick jobs.

StarSign

If you go latex make sure you understand the power needs. It's been a few years since we have had a latex but I know we couldn't just plug it in to the wall.

Pski89

If you go latex make sure you understand the power needs. It's been a few years since we have had a latex but I know we couldn't just plug it in to the wall.
Right, I already read 220v somewhere, I have a few diff outlets in my garage when I was doing wood working... before I discovered I'm allergic to trees... go figure!! well.. I'm safe with latex so Thumbs up! lol

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Take a look at the StratoJet USA 64” Hawk CleanPrint. We’ll have it at the Graphics Pro Expo in Long Beach, CA on Aug.12-14 or come by our showroom in Pico Rivera, CA.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the StratoJet USA 64” Hawk CleanPrint. We’ll have it at the Graphics Pro Expo in Long Beach, CA on Aug.12-14 or come by our showroom in Pico Rivera, CA.

That looks nice. Is it available in larger models ?? Also, do you need to use coated material/media ??

StratoJet

Merchant Member
That looks nice. Is it available in larger models ?? Also, do you need to use coated material/media ??
At this time, this is the widest (we do have a 10’ UV and Dye Sub).
No Specilized coated media needed, you can run any rolls that can run in a Solvent, EcoSol, Latex, ink jet and others. Also, the Synthetic Water Based inks have 0% VOCs and you can cut, laminate or vehicle wrap as soon as the print comes out. It’s an evaporation process for curing and not a slow degassing of solvents.
The Synthetic inks work like a ceramic coating on a car, creating a layer of coating and is very durable (we say 2 years + outdoors un-laminated). There are no Ink Cartridges (we use a bulk ink supply), ink chips or purging. Ink cost is at ~$0.10 a square foot at 100% coverage.

Last edited:

MHester

I have an HP latex and love it. I have to be able to print and go direct to lamination and cutting, and the latex doesn't require any outgassing (time waiting). The maintainance is easy and the ink replacement is super simple. I've had the 315 for 5 years with minimal problems. Like it so much I bought a 335 as well. Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Is there any realistic noticeable difference in the color / quality .. I mean to a standard end user?
Not sure who this question was directed to…

The StratoJet Hawk CleanInks (synthetic inks) uses a water catalyst to bring the pigments to the media (not solvents or other chemicals), so the inks are sitting in hydrating water and not aggressive chemicals that can actually brake down pigments. This will give you brighter colors and 15-20% more color gamut with only using CMYK (there are more reasons for the increased color gamut on all our printer).
All major printers work well, they can print and are in most cases are quite reliable. It’s more about the actual speed, simplicity of operation and cost of operation/inks.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Ok, Well I’m kinda referring to latex vs eco-solvent
I would say for standard end user only noticeable difference is a little more grainy print from latex on small stickers and such. Eco-solvent just tends to have more ink coverage over the surface.

The StratoJet Hawk CleanInks (synthetic inks) uses a water catalyst to bring the pigments to the media (not solvents or other chemicals), so the inks are sitting in hydrating water and not aggressive chemicals that can actually brake down pigments. This will give you brighter colors and 15-20% more color gamut with only using CMYK (there are more reasons for the increased color gamut on all our printer).
All major printers work well, they can print and are in most cases are quite reliable. It’s more about the actual speed, simplicity of operation and cost of operation/inks.

Is there an SDS document for Hawk Cleanink?