• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lost left side Magenta

Out There

After all this talk of how good my Mimaki is :covereyes: I've been delt a blow.

My entire left side magenta just disappeared. Machine is still under warranty and Grimco sent me a new cap head assy. After waiting three days it arrived and with the new one in, no change.

I've done two 99 min head soaks before changing out the cap. No left side magenta. Luckily it still prints good with no color shifts. I won't be able to get tech support now until the 5th.

Anyone have any trouble shooting ideas?

Freese

Cap is where I would of guessed too, right after a nozzle wash...

Can you take a pic of the nozzle test draw?

if it looks uniform, could be electrical...if it's kind of random, its an ink train issue

Out There

Sorry forgot that pertinent info..CVJ30

Here's a test print.

Attachments

• 2012-07-03_21-20-21_644.jpg
    2012-07-03_21-20-21_644.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 101

Out There

Cap is where I would of guessed too, right after a nozzle wash...

Can you take a pic of the nozzle test draw?

if it looks uniform, could be electrical...if it's kind of random, its an ink train issue

That's what's strange I didn't even get a hint it was going out. No dirty or clogged nozzles, just gone.

Freese

Usually full outages and uniform losses is more indicative of a ribbon cable or electrical issue.

Before the outage, did you do any sort of change with the head cover off? Unfortunately, the ribbon cables from slider > printhead seem to be fragile as all hell

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
How much ink is in the damper?
Are you running a bulk ink system?
You can try syringing through the cap. You have two lines coming from the cap going to the waste bottle. I would block off the right side line on the cap, and put a syringe on the left line and pull through it. Run a cleaning and then a test draw.

Let us know if the magenta returns

Out There

All the dampers are about a 1/4 full or less.

no bulk

Pulled through syringe, had a good suction to it. Ran test draw and nothing changed.

No magenta..hmm

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I know some poeple have them running with half filled dampers but as far as I know the dampers on DX5 heads should be completely full. They are very different than the old DX4 head dampers.

Regardless, try swapping dampers between the 2 magenta channels checking that the brass fittings are snug as you do so. I do not think you will be able to swap the ink lines since the 2 magenta channels are on opposite ends of the head. This would at least give you a clue if there was a possible air leak at the damper connection or the damper itself. The ink lines also have a set of H unions right behing the cartridge bay, removing the rear cover off of that you can also inspect those joints to see if maybe one of them is getting a bit loose.

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
Slightline

You are correct, thats why I was asking.
Those are called "S" dampers, and they will squirt ink all over you if you squeeze the spring So beware. I wanted him to look, obviously if they were less than full that could be pointing to a flow problem, (ie air being induced)

Good suggestion to swap the dampers, might be easier to just change it and see if it returns.

I really dont understand the H design and then it "Y's"off at the head again. I just cant get my head around that design. Seems to me that design is to balance out the ink lines. I have removed those Crossbars (thats what I call it) cap the line and have resolved many ink flow issues

OutThere- Let us know what you find

artbot

just put the yellow damper next to it on the manifold. that will at least tell you if that channel is firing or if you have some odd supply issue. i'm guessing it's a head/data issue. an entire channel doesn't just go blank. it would fall out then disappear. and shame on grimco for such a horrible suggestion for a diagnosis.

Out There

Thanks for the responses guys.

Question, never messed with dampers before.

Do they just pop straight up out of the head manifold? and should I be ready for ink spillage or does the damper retain the ink already in it when removed from the manifold?

Freese

How much ink is in the damper?
Are you running a bulk ink system?
You can try syringing through the cap. You have two lines coming from the cap going to the waste bottle. I would block off the right side line on the cap, and put a syringe on the left line and pull through it. Run a cleaning and then a test draw.

Let us know if the magenta returns

Just curious if this is something you have tried, OutThere?

I would try this and let us know. If not it COULD be the head or a ribbon cable

Out There

Swapped out dampers and still have the same missing channel.

Next try will be ribbon cables when they get here.

Freese

just put the yellow damper next to it on the manifold. that will at least tell you if that channel is firing or if you have some odd supply issue. i'm guessing it's a head/data issue. an entire channel doesn't just go blank. it would fall out then disappear. and shame on grimco for such a horrible suggestion for a diagnosis.
So if it follows the damper, ink train issue?

If the problem stays in the same position; head issue or cable issue? How would one determine this?

I have had this issue with a JV33 and luckily it was a data issue