• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic glass dry erase panel

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I have a customer that wants a glass dry erase panel, that is magnetic, with an image printed 2nd surface with a white background.
What is the best way to go about making this? I have a flatbed UV that can print the image on the glass, then I floodcoat the glass with white paint? Would 1-shot white work for this?
Then I am thinking I can apply magnetic paint on the back of the white paint. I haven't worked with glass much, I'm just not sure what all this paint on it will do and if it will stick well.
Normally we spray Matthews, but I think that will mess up the UV printed graphic.

Attachments

• 695259.jpg
    695259.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 116

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is a new one for me. Why or what's the advantage of a glass magnetic panel ?? I would imagine the uses are limited, due to the high breakage points of glass under certain conditions. Other than aesthetics as mentioned, why ??

rjssigns

This is a new one for me. Why or what's the advantage of a glass magnetic panel ?? I would imagine the uses are limited, due to the high breakage points of glass under certain conditions. Other than aesthetics as mentioned, why ??

Ever see a new dry erase board after heavy usage?(like a classroom) They start to stain/ghost, and glass is impervious to this. More expense up front, but you'll never replace them.

Smart Boards are better yet, although without the magnetic capability.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I tried a piece of 26ga steel behind 1/2" thick glass. There is some magnetic pull, but not a lot. I'm guessing that is why the ones you find online are so thin (the only one spec'd I could find was 3/16" glass). My glass guy recommended no thinner than 3/8" for as large as my customer wants to do (48"x72") so it doesn't flex when writing. I think I am going to tell my customer these are the options:
- Glass, no magnetic
- Typical dry erase board, with magnetic

bigben

I tried a piece of 26ga steel behind 1/2" thick glass. There is some magnetic pull, but not a lot. I'm guessing that is why the ones you find online are so thin (the only one spec'd I could find was 3/16" glass). My glass guy recommended no thinner than 3/8" for as large as my customer wants to do (48"x72") so it doesn't flex when writing. I think I am going to tell my customer these are the options:
- Glass, no magnetic
- Typical dry erase board, with magnetic

But if you combine your steel sheet with your glass so that the total of the thickness is not bendable. Would it work?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
But if you combine your steel sheet with your glass so that the total of the thickness is not bendable. Would it work?

The steel sheet would give a little bit of strength, but not a lot. I'm not fond of thinning the glass. It would defeat the purpose of this - to look high-end and be very durable long-term. I think I'll try a little thicker gauge of steel and see if that helps.