• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic vehicle sign stuck permanently

Craig Keller

Has anyone had to remove magnetic signs that's been on for years? It's like they were glued on now. Any suggestions?

Scotchbrite

No comment
Careful removal with heat like you would vinyl. We had it happen to a customer after just 6 months. They managed to mess up the clear coat finish on their car removing it themselves. It's not an uncommon thing. We try to warn people about it. Encourage them to wax the backs of their mag signs to hopefully help.

garyroy

Magnets are supposed to be removed once a month, then wiped down on the back, then reapplied either a little over from where they we or preferably
in another spot but definitely wiped down on the back.
I've seen magnets get completely stuck to the metal of the car, rust it out, and then peel a layer of rusted metal off the car when trying to remove.
Not pretty.

unmateria

Na, dont worry. Little Heat, plastic spatule, isopropyl alcohol (if u have time and u want it perfect, and dont know how the car is painted). If its a modern car, you can use solvent at the end (for going faster) if final coat is ceramic (try to scratch it with the nails). Anyway isoprphyl works always and cleaner (altought slower)

... Little heat... Dont go fast (much heat) or paint we will delaminate.

And yes, always say your customers to remove the magnets from month to month

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Years ago, we were told once a week to remove, wiped down the mag and the vehicles and make sure all debris was gone and when dry, put the mags back on.