• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maine in the fall

Enola

I see we have a forum for general chit-chat (topics non-sign related), so I will take advantage of that.
I've always had a desire to travel to Maine, and thought the fall foliage would be a perfect time to make that trip.

From the little I have researched, I've come up with a preliminary schedule to fly into Portland and rent a car. From there I would slowly make my way (stopping at every little thing I found interesting) up to Bar Harbor, where the plan is to stay a few days. While at Bar Harbor, I would like to take a few short trips further north for more foliage relaxation. (Thinking Nova Scotia)

The idea of the trip is to soak up the scenery by car, eat lobster and crab for every mean (except a few breakfast pancakes and sausage), and possibly a couple whale watching boat tours.
AND MOST OF ALL, forget about work!!!!!!

I really haven't done much research on this adventure. Can anyone please offer any advice on this mission to find peace, relaxation and sanity??? Please please help me : )

****Any suggestions of places to stop and see while I'm in the great state of Maine?
****Any special time I would want to make the journey? Sept, Oct ???

I don't mind putting some miles on the rental car, within reason. (yes I know the International Balloon Festival in Albuquerque is in October. Maybe next year) *wink*

Thanks Signs101

Billct2

Nova Scotia may be a bit of a haul unless you are there for a long time. You plan to wing it is great, just tooling along the coast from Portland to Bar Harbor and back could easily fill a vacation. And whale watching or a sailboat cruise around the islands is a great time. If you like hiking be sure to do Acadia Park and Cadillac Mtn.

Enola

Nova Scotia may be a bit of a haul unless you are there for a long time. You plan to wing it is great, just tooling along the coast from Portland to Bar Harbor and back could easily fill a vacation. And whale watching or a sailboat cruise around the islands is a great time. If you like hiking be sure to do Acadia Park and Cadillac Mtn.

Thanks Bill.
While "tooling" around is always my favorite way to go, I do like to have a few "aces" in my back pocket, just in case.

Appreciate the Acadia Park suggestion.
Any other specific place or activity that would be fun?

ps. Is this your backyard Bill?

Enola

Color me jealous! Acadia is a dream trip of mine.

Sounds like we will need a van for this trip. Me, you & JR's (who liked your comment) so far. Then we will be picking up Billct2 as our tour guide!!!

Anyone else want to go?

Marlene

if you have the time go to Cape Breton in NS as is it worth the trip. take the cabot trail that goes around the island and enjoy the beauty of it all. better yet, head east and see Vermont as that is where the real fall leaves are the best. Maine is full of pine trees, we've got maples and they are the show stoppers in the fall

Billct2

Not exactly my backyard, but I've been in the area a bit. One other suggestion, if you can tear yourself away from the coast, is to check out one of the lakes or Baxter State Park, home of Mt Katahdin, highest in Maine and the end (or the beginning) of the Appalachian Trail. The thing about Maine, compared to the rest of New England, it's big, so getting around can eat up a lot of time.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I grew up in New Hampshire which might as well be Maine. You will see signs for lobster rolls everywhere and they will be cheap and you will get sick of them. Make sure to try other local foods as well so you don't get burnt out on lobsta. There are a lot of homesteaders out there so you will find lots of farm fresh foods to try.

Be aware of other people on the road. There aren't a lot of places to pass out there so while you are taking in the scenery you can get a large line of cars behind you. We call you guys leaf peepers and it's more of an insult to be called that not a nice nickname. Just pull over and let people pass and you will be a good tourist. You are a large chunk of their economy out there but it's always good to be respectful to the locals. Enjoy!

Enola

if you have the time go to Cape Breton in NS as is it worth the trip. take the cabot trail that goes around the island and enjoy the beauty of it all. better yet, head east and see Vermont as that is where the real fall leaves are the best. Maine is full of pine trees, we've got maples and they are the show stoppers in the fall

Hi Marlene )
So tell me..
If I were to visit Vermont, where is the #1 place that I surely wouldn't want to miss? What is the shining jewel of Vermont?

ps. I will check out Cape Breton on the computer.

Enola

I grew up in New Hampshire which might as well be Maine. You will see signs for lobster rolls everywhere and they will be cheap and you will get sick of them. Make sure to try other local foods as well so you don't get burnt out on lobsta. There are a lot of homesteaders out there so you will find lots of farm fresh foods to try.

Be aware of other people on the road. There aren't a lot of places to pass out there so while you are taking in the scenery you can get a large line of cars behind you. We call you guys leaf peepers and it's more of an insult to be called that not a nice nickname. Just pull over and let people pass and you will be a good tourist. You are a large chunk of their economy out there but it's always good to be respectful to the locals. Enjoy!

Leaf Peepers huh? That don't sound too bad. : ) Where I'm from road rage is pretty common. Getting "the finger" is a nice day. haha

Secondly, can one actually get burnt out on lobsta?? That can't be true??!!

Third thing) Same question as I asked Marlene. If I were to visit New Hampshire, what is the #1 person, place, thing, or food I wouldn't want to miss?

Billct2

New Hampshire has been my second home most of my life, if I were to suggest what to see there it would be to head up to Sebago Lake from Portland and then east across the Kancamagus Highway into the heart of the White Mountains. From there head due east into VT. Man I wish I had time for drives like that....

Last edited:

Enola

Man I wish I had time for drives like that....

Bill you need to take a vacation buddy. This is only a 9 hour trip. Take a 4 day vacation and hit the road.

Marlene I looked up pictures of Cape Breton, NS. That is the most wonderful place I've ever seen. THANK YOU!!!!!!
When I add Cape Breton to my itinerary, it only add another 10 hours drive, for a total of 19 hours.

Shall we pick you up Bill?

Attachments

• finger lakes.PNG
    finger lakes.PNG
    179.2 KB · Views: 102

Billct2

You got that right.....and actually Cape Breton has been a dream and last summer we were supposed to go, 2 day drive up, week there in a cottage on the coast, 2 day drive back...had to cancel due to work. With 2 kids going into college next year and another following right behind vacations are on hold for a while...at least those kind of vacations. Post pics!

MikesSigns

You can't go wrong. Start at Hampton beach in NH, Follow the coast, Portland Old Port, Bath Brunswick area, Boothbay Harbor, Camden Rockport, Acadia National Park. Plenty to do. if your brave head west to the White Mounts in NH. Mt Washington area breathtaking during the foliage season. The coast will be busy but nothing like it is during the summer. Enjoy and keep us posted

Marlene

Hi Marlene )
So tell me..
If I were to visit Vermont, where is the #1 place that I surely wouldn't want to miss? What is the shining jewel of Vermont?

ps. I will check out Cape Breton on the computer.

Vermont is loaded with cool stuff from the mountains to lake Champlain. everyone does Ben & Jerry's and Stowe which is a nice trip and sure would be pretty in the fall. if you did that run you could also do the Von Trapp lodge which has some awesome views and Smuggler's notch with its trails. if your are into it, I would say hike up Camel's Hump as it is worth it. I dragged my cousin up there during the fall and she hated every step we took until we hit the top. the view with the trees is unreal and you can see nothing but color for miles.