• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making a transition

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've done a lot of thinking the last couple years and have wanted to transition from having a storefront to working from home and cutting way back on the products I offer. I'm 50, female and single and I own the building my shop is in. There is an attached 2 family home and storage shed which I rent out. Over the last couple years it's been getting difficult for me to work so many hours, maintain my home and maintain the rental/shop/shed. My knees now need cortisone shots so I can climb ladders and kneel down. I recently injured my leg and had to cancel a number of installations. Anyway - I have a private buyer for my shop and if that doesn't work out - which I think it will - then I will list the property. I will move my equipment to my 3 car garage - of course I'll need to make adjustments to my garage for heat/cooling/humidity etc. I've had the property 8 years and should get more than double what I paid for it, so not too bad. I didn't stick a terrible amount of money into it, mostly cosmetic. And of course the take breaks of having a rental property....I'll leave it at that LOL

I think one of the things that has become a huge point of frustration for me having a storefront is I'm in a heavy traffic area. I get many people per day stopping in looking for 1 sticker or 1 shirt and wasting a great deal of my time. Can I lock the door? Yes, and I do lock the door sometimes. With my recent injury, I've been doing everything from my couch and only going in for a couple hours a day to print, or do production work. It was a real wake up call as to how much time I have been wasting over the years having this storefront. I'm almost getting my job done in half the time. I understand there's downsides to not having a storefront but I do have a large enough client base where I'm not too worried. I also ended up by accident gaining a crap load of higher end race cars because my son started racing and the local car lettering guy is retiring this year. He was doing 100+ cars a year. I started 18 years ago lettering race cars so yes, I know how these people operate. And- I'm financially at a point where I don't need to work 80 hours a week anymore and I can turn down jobs I don't want to do and focus on the jobs that make money and the customers who are nice to work with.

So anyway - a combo of age, health and general frustration with walk ins have led me this decision and I'm excited about it! I guess it's called downsizing LOL

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We transitioned from a sign supply warehouse like Fellers/Grimco etc. to 99% online parts sales about 15 years ago. We still have a few walk-ins and it's by far the most inefficient and least profitable part of our business. Enjoy your new found freedom!

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Congrats Stacy. You can make a damn good living not having a storefront. I have way more business than I could handle. Do I occasionally get a call from someone that wants to stop by and sit down to draw something up, only to find out I don't have a store and they go somewhere else? Yes..... but never a real customer. Being a small shop from home is a millions times more efficient and cheaper. I have a three-car garage that is heated and a/c and it's plenty of space for a one man operation. I think you're going to like the transition. I hate hearing about people being so overworked... life's short and needs balance

gnubler

Stacey, that sounds like a great plan and you're lucky to have all those options to fall back on. I've just about hit my limit with people and have been contemplating some changes as well.

One of my competitors is a single female in her 60s and she's run the business out of her home for years. No pesky customers dropping in because she doesn't have a physical address listed, and she can be selective in who she wants to work with. That's the way to do it.

Signstein

Stinks that it sometimes takes an injury to find the silver lining, but congrats on the new transition plan. I've been working in internal shops the past decade so I can only imagine how bad walk in customers are these days. Will you start a thread whenever you start building out your garage shop and let us follow along? It's fun watching pros trick out their shops and workspaces.

Edit:
Don't you also have a garden? Geez, you definitely are due to scale back and focus on the work you want to do!

Goatshaver

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm 45 now and only have been in this for about 6 yrs now so I've got a looooong way to go before I can settle down, but I don't have a storefront. I'm in a basement with my two printers and two cutters and I love it. I think you'll be happier without the added distractions of foot traffic and being at your own home.

Johnny Best

Stacey, you are a smart girl and things will work out for you. I sold my warehouse and business 16 years ago and move back home to work. Slowly getting out of the business entirely. Still do some jobs for long time customers but I do not miss dealing with the every day stress of running a business.
Now you need to lose some weight off those knees and taking long walk. Swimming is the best exercise for them or walking on the beach. Stay away from knee replacements.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Stinks that it sometimes takes an injury to find the silver lining, but congrats on the new transition plan. I've been working in internal shops the past decade so I can only imagine how bad walk in customers are these days. Will you start a thread whenever you start building out your garage shop and let us follow along? It's fun watching pros trick out their shops and workspaces.

Edit:
Don't you also have a garden? Geez, you definitely are due to scale back and focus on the work you want to do!
Yes I do have a garden! I'm certainly excited to be able to take a break during the day and do some gardening! I just installed a patio door in my garage that walks out to the patio of which you can see the entire back yard and garden so plenty of natural light and great views LOL

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's what you want to do..... DO IT !!! You have first hand knowledge of all the specifics, so you should know best. Way to go.

After doing this, professionally for 52 years, but at it for close to 60..... I'm thinking about slowing down.

Just hafta go out and dig a hole in the front lawn first to get things rolling.o_O

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep. It's an ancient secret someone told me about..... so I guess it wasn't a great big secret. But I just finished it. Looks nice after I filled it back in.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I'm pretty excited about this, it will be several weights lifted off my shoulders both mentally and physically. I've lost all my helpers! My oldest son has his own business and my youngest graduated and works full time and now races 2-3 nights per week.

We have made the racing a family event, both the boys go, my ex husband and his fiancee go also. I certainly feel lucky to be able to spend time with my adult kids and help them both out with life. I'd rather spend the time with them at the racetrack or fixing the car vs. putting new windows or carpet in my rental property on the weekends, cutting the shop grass, all that crap.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've done a lot of thinking the last couple years and have wanted to transition from having a storefront to working from home and cutting way back on the products I offer. I'm 50, female and single and I own the building my shop is in. There is an attached 2 family home and storage shed which I rent out. Over the last couple years it's been getting difficult for me to work so many hours, maintain my home and maintain the rental/shop/shed. My knees now need cortisone shots so I can climb ladders and kneel down. I recently injured my leg and had to cancel a number of installations. Anyway - I have a private buyer for my shop and if that doesn't work out - which I think it will - then I will list the property. I will move my equipment to my 3 car garage - of course I'll need to make adjustments to my garage for heat/cooling/humidity etc. I've had the property 8 years and should get more than double what I paid for it, so not too bad. I didn't stick a terrible amount of money into it, mostly cosmetic. And of course the take breaks of having a rental property....I'll leave it at that LOL

I think one of the things that has become a huge point of frustration for me having a storefront is I'm in a heavy traffic area. I get many people per day stopping in looking for 1 sticker or 1 shirt and wasting a great deal of my time. Can I lock the door? Yes, and I do lock the door sometimes. With my recent injury, I've been doing everything from my couch and only going in for a couple hours a day to print, or do production work. It was a real wake up call as to how much time I have been wasting over the years having this storefront. I'm almost getting my job done in half the time. I understand there's downsides to not having a storefront but I do have a large enough client base where I'm not too worried. I also ended up by accident gaining a crap load of higher end race cars because my son started racing and the local car lettering guy is retiring this year. He was doing 100+ cars a year. I started 18 years ago lettering race cars so yes, I know how these people operate. And- I'm financially at a point where I don't need to work 80 hours a week anymore and I can turn down jobs I don't want to do and focus on the jobs that make money and the customers who are nice to work with.

So anyway - a combo of age, health and general frustration with walk ins have led me this decision and I'm excited about it! I guess it's called downsizing LOL
I'm glad this wasn't a 'Bruce Jenner' kind of transition. Sounds like you have a good plan that is going to work well. Best of luck but you probably won't need it.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Best move ever.

Stacey,

I had a small shop in an Automotive complex that had a full service car wash with 3 bay wax/ detail garages, 6 bay auto repair center next door and a 6 bay Valvoline oil change facility, a custom automotive radio / speaker shop in the front along with a bunch of offices on the second floor. I was there for like 30 years until hurricane Sandy flooded me out.
3 feet of water came in and went out.

Long story but the landlord dragged his feet on cleanup and I had Black mold growing all over the walls so I pulled my equipment out and moved into my home basement which is a good size.

It was going to be a temporary move but have been here since and loving it.
I was nervous at first but it worked out well.

My work is almost all referrals so it worked out great. Do work here and on the road…

The overhead cut way down, write off percentages of home expenses for almost everything.

No 22 mile commute each way or need to be at a location for certain hours.

You won’t regret it

pro-up

Stacey, you are a smart girl and things will work out for you. I sold my warehouse and business 16 years ago and move back home to work. Slowly getting out of the business entirely. Still do some jobs for long time customers but I do not miss dealing with the every day stress of running a business.
Now you need to lose some weight off those knees and taking long walk. Swimming is the best exercise for them or walking on the beach. Stay away from knee replacements.
Watching my MIL wait too long to get her knees replaced and now is in too frail of health to do anything about it, has been difficult. She can barely walk. Her travels are limited to her recliner, room, and the kitchen (all with a walker and has to often pause even on these short trips). While my friend's mother had both of her knees done when she was 60 and is nearly pain free (about 10 years later). The difference is startling. Although her life is somewhat limited, no more strenuous hiking, she is able to get around easily. I would caution against avoidance. Working from home will be a relief for your knees and I wish you all the best Stacey!