• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Master XY-300P - not cutting?

Random

I have a Master XY-300P that I just got. I installed Flexi and hooked up the cutter to my LPT1 port. (laptop, no serial drive. USB to serial adapter didn't work.) I've tested the cutter with the on-board "Test" function, and that works great.

When I send a job to the cutter, it goes through Flexi just fine and shows "Receiving data" on the cutter. However, after all the data is received, it shows "Now is cutting / Local? (ENTER)". But it's not cutting at all. Not even moving. If I push Enter and choose Original, it goes back to the main menu and acts like nothing happened. Same thing happens if I choose Current.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out what's wrong with this damn thing - has anyone else had this problem?

Derf

My Graphtec did the same thing... Kind of....

I found out there is an on board setting you have to change depending on if you are using USB or LPT see if your cutter has the same settings.

Or you could read the manual or call tech sport?

Random

I read the manual, front-to-back. They only cover troubleshooting of the serial port. I'll poke around to see if there's a setting for LPT.

Random

No, I can't. The only two connections on the cutter are serial and parallel, and the USB-to-serial adapter I have doesn't work for one reason or another. I'm just angry that the LPT port doesn't work like it's supposed to, and that there's no resources online or otherwise for people in my situation to troubleshoot it.

iSign

is your USB-to-seriel a Belkin?
Is it advertized to run a PDA?

I've heard other folks have had PDA adapters that failed to work, but when trying a different manufacturers adapter, that worked.

Random

I don't even remember what it is - I got it off eBay a long time ago. Shouldn't a serial adapter be the same in any case?

iSign

Not all USB-to-Serial converters are created equal. You need an adapter with full support of control lines. Most of USB-Serial converters labeled as "PDA" do not support all of control lines. You have to look at ones labeled as "high-speed"

Bigdawg

Just Me
Hey Random - if you got it less than a year ago from DeSay - tech support by phone is still available. We've had to use them a couple of times... hard accent to understand but they did email pictures almost immediately (We had a wire fro the display come lose from the board) and we were able to fix.
We're hooked up parallel with no problems. What operating system are you running?

Random

Windows XP. The thing that irks me is that the test cut comes out perfectly, and the display says it's received the data and is cutting - but it is doing nothing. Nothing. Today I'm going to take it to the other computer upstairs, the one with a serial port, and try it there.

Random

Thanks for the advice, Doug! I bit the bullet and bought a high-speed serial converter, and it works nicely now. Spot-on suggestion. ^_^

As far as the cutter goes, has anyone else had a problem with long unintended slices across the vinyl? Mine does that now and then when there's a lot on the sheet, and it's ruined a few good decals. >_<

Bradster941

Random, I assume you got the Flexi Starter software with that?
If so, have you been able to import a EPS file, or just an AI file?

I can get the AI file in, but when I try to import a EPS, it says File type not supported.

iSign

you're most :Welcome: Random
I'm glad to hear that worked out.

On the slice issue... it reminds me of some strange behavior of an old Roland I used in my first few years. I don't remember many details, but I think I suffered with it for a while. It seems like I was more vulnerable on the more complex files, so maybe sending smaller groups more often would be the only suggestion. I also suspected it was a communication issue that could point to a less then ideal cable/port arrangement.

Did you ever "take it to the other computer upstairs, the one with a serial port"? I wondered if that would work better, at least for troubleshooting purposes?

Random

Negative, for anti-headache purposes. I'll live with it for now, as I haven't seen any information on the net as to how to fix it. Lots of hits for people asking how to, though. :p

cutkiller

Hi there.. I may have a solution for ya. My english is really bad, but ill try to explain.

I had the same problem with my xy-300p. It was going crazy and cutting everywhere in the middle of a job... i found that if you follow these step, it resolves most problem. Ok first, if figure that before sending a job to your plotter, you select a origin, or current point (always using current), where your job will begin, right? Ok, so locate your starting point, BUT DO NOT CONFIRM BY PRESSING ENTER. Just move the blade holder in place... then, send your job from your soft to your plotter. When the job is 100% sent, press ENTER to confirm your current location. The job will start, and everything should be ok. Also, make sure your offset value is set to 0.015. Try other value between 0.010 and 0.035 if 0.015 doesnt works for you..

I have to say that i am on OSX 10.3 and i run Flexi 7.6.

I hope this may help for some issues.. cheers.

Last edited: