• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

matching color from a photo

Jb1983

Have a photo of a boat and im trying to achieve that color from. Its just a color I really like and want to be able to print as closely too as I can.
So if I literally just print the photo that I got from the internet the color prints just like I want it, but when I use the color picker and create the cmyk the test print is way off. How do I create the matching color?
Designing in Illustrator, Rip thru Flexi

shoresigns

The colour is changing because the photo is most likely RGB and you said you're converting to CMYK when you use the eye dropper to grab the colour.

If you want the colour to match, you need to use the colour picker (eye dropper) in the same colour mode as the photo (RGB), and using the same ICC profile (probably sRGB, Adobe RGB, or uncalibrated). One easy way to start a document with the correct settings is to simply File > Open and select the photo. Illustrator will embed the photo in a new document with the correct colour mode and profile. Then you can use your colour picker to reliably get the same colour.

One additional step you may need to do is ensure that your RIP is applying the same render intents to vector and raster colours. I'm not sure where that would be in Flexi, but it's a question that comes up here all the time, so try searching for it.

unclebun

The other issue, once you start sampling the color in RGB, will be that the color in the photo is not one uniform color but a blend of lots of colors that are close. They'll vary because of lighting over the object's contours. So if you sample one pixel you'll get one color, while the neighboring pixel will be another.

bigben

if the printed color is ok for you, I would compared that printed image to a pantone chart and use that pms color.

gabagoo

I would say that the colour is actually made up of thousands of colours..grabbing one pixel won't work. I thought the same thing way back when my printer weas new and I never could get a bright rich red, and then I printed a photo and the colour was perfect...on closer examination you see that it is made up ofthousands of blending shades of red

Jb1983

I would say that the colour is actually made up of thousands of colours..grabbing one pixel won't work. I thought the same thing way back when my printer weas new and I never could get a bright rich red, and then I printed a photo and the colour was perfect...on closer examination you see that it is made up ofthousands of blending shades of red
Yes ive noticed this I actually printed 6 samples that were picked from different location on the photo and all gave different colors. I then found the closest match to what I was after. Still not really what I was hoping for. Its a pastel so hard to hit on my HP Latex.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

I wish there was a tool that took a sample of a an area of pixels instead of just one pixel for this reason. It still wouldn't be perfect but taking multiple samples and averaging them would seem to work better.

Edit: Looks like I missed vector doctor's comment. I learned something new today!

KarinM

It probably has more to do with the color management of your rip than the sampled values. I'm not familiar with Flexi, but I've run into this before. For example, I placed a photoshop image into illustrator, sampled it and created a spot color "xxBlue" using the same exact values. My rip didn't recognize the color name so it allowed me to enter the values manually. The two items printed very different. GMG explained that the manual values aren't color managed, that you're bypassing color management handling it this way. So in order to get them to match you could either add the spot color to your color library, set your spot color to process in the illustrator swatch, or just make sure that both printed items are sent through on the same print queue.