• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Math problem....

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
The problem I see is you don't need the area of the object, you would need a straight line between the bottom two points as I interpreted. My local city allows you to draw up to 8 straight lines when figuring the square footage of a shape.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, I spoke to the inspector. He said the 1" square blocks might be enough, and if someone wants to count them to verify than so be it. He would also accept engineered drawings but said he'll look at my square block idea first.

I appreciate the help here... I like the new script in Illustrator.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like all the answers are already here.
But I did find a unit of measurement you can use to prove your Burton Brute Force numbers to the building permit inspector, Texas style, using Flexi and the Glen Campbell option.
2,479 1-inch rhinestones works out to 17.2 sqft.

Attachments

• rinestonefill.jpg
    rinestonefill.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 101

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Texas counties were measured in Texas fashion. They couldn't be any larger than a days ride on horseback to the county courthouse.

Ronny Axelsson

FWIW, I tried the 'grid of 1" squares' method JBurton suggested and got 2,209 full squares inside the swoosh.
I also got 709 squares that were along the border of the swoosh, and if we assume that these are around 50% of a full square on average, then we have to add 354.5 square inches to 2,209.
This equals 17.80 square feet.

To double check I repeated but nudged the swoosh a little on the grid.
Then I got 2,219 + 710 squares, which resulted in 17.875 square feet.

So I estimate it to be between 17.8 and 17.9 square feet.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Well Tex, we've we have approached this from several angles, and we're all getting approximately the same results. If they don't believe you're numbers, show them this thread!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You show them this thread and you'll prove to them how stupid you are.... along with the rest of us, for not having a sure industry way of doing this. Just give them the grid method..... which is what I used, and make them all accurately spaced squares and explain to them how it's done. YOU tell them, not them tell you.

citysignshop

I have a logo in the shape of a swoosh that I'm trying to permit. The city says I don't have to use the over all dims and can use only the actual square footage of material occupied in the swoosh. How to I figure out how much square footage area is occupied by this swoosh? I'm using Flexi. If you drew a rectangle at 233x70.75, obviously the swoosh is not using 100% of that space. I need to figure out how much percentage of that space it's using and that should give me the square footage.

View attachment 160885
Flexi has that. go to the Edit menu, Job statistics, brings up a 'Details' matrix of everything you'd want to know. 2560.8 sq. inches
1660317301995.png

I had to trace your bitmap and scale it to come up with these numbers.... you can export the info as a text file, perhaps that would look fancy enough for your permit?

Path 295 (38 Points) Path -147.99 33.26 233.00 70.81 2560.80 615.87 / RGB/RGB

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Flexi has that. go to the Edit menu, Job statistics, brings up a 'Details' matrix of everything you'd want to know. 2560.8 sq. inches
View attachment 160905
I had to trace your bitmap and scale it to come up with these numbers.... you can export the info as a text file, perhaps that would look fancy enough for your permit?

Path 295 (38 Points) Path -147.99 33.26 233.00 70.81 2560.80 615.87 / RGB/RGB
That is very interesting! Thank you!

truckgraphics

This is easy. In Flexi, click Edit, the Job Statistics. It will show you the square footage of the design.

Edit: Doh - I see that I've been beaten to the punch by a few minutes.

Evan Gillette

I used to do this all the time, almost every cad package has that functionality built in. Nanocad is a good free option similar to old school autocad, fusion360 would get you there but be harder to get a "drafty" looking print out of. I want to say that flexi has this ability as well but it is kindof hidden. Might be in with the meta data type stuff.

Evan Gillette

Yep, confirmed.

1. In Flexi put the shape into a new file (or if there isn't a zillion paths you can just select in and look at the DesignEditor to see what its called, for example "Path 5308".
2. Go to Edit>Job Statistics and find the path name with details.
3. Snip it and go shake it in the inspectors face...at your own risk.

Cheers, have a good weekend!