• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mathews paint reacting with uv ink

cwb143

I have an unkown brand of UV ink printed on acrylic.
We painted a mathews silver metalic on top of it and its reacting to the ink. The ink seems to pop up or pinch up.
Does any one know what causes this and what I can do to fix it?

artbot

the mathews is too "hot" for it. your best bet is to clear the uv ink with a coating that is solvent resistant but also does not have the "hot" issue. such as you could spray it with polycrylic (water based floor finish). water based clears are more solvent resistant then ketone based clears. also they will not burn your ink. after that, go with a few light coats of the mathews to prep and not shock the waterbased clear. after that blast away.

of course do some adhesion tests with the tape razor routine.

artbot

still concerned if you have everything you'll need. such as do you have any kind of adhesion promoter? some inks have built in silicone to aid in scratch resistance. if you are in a pinch you can get a spray bulldog promoter auto parts supply stores in the pait section. but if you need to do a lot of this Lord makes some of the best promoters i've come across.