• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Merry Christmas! I finally bought a printer

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yes, using a loud voice on the printer comes with experience. The other day I did not calculate the end of the roll near enough and it was one with the material welded to all 54 inches of the core. The end of material never had a chance. When it jerked to a hard, loud stop I called an audible that could have been heard in the locker room at the Super Bowl.
But were you yelling at the printer, or the guy who miscalculated how much media there was?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes, using a loud voice on the printer comes with experience. The other day I did not calculate the end of the roll near enough and it was one with the material welded to all 54 inches of the core. The end-of-material sensor never had a chance. When it jerked to a hard, loud stop I called an audible that could have been heard in the locker room at the Super Bowl.
mine just keeps printing in the same spot, ink running down the front and the pinch rollers dig a nice hole in the material that has to be cleaned up. It's not just the employees that need babysitting

Boudica

I actually had that problem this afternoon... But I knew it was a gamble. I was watching it. Paused when I needed to cut the end of the media off the core so the printer (Epson) wouldn't know. I lost the gamble, ran short about 6-7 in. I said "oh barnicals".
My saving grace is that this one panel, out of 36 was the last one... And it happened to not have any artwork in it. So, I will just laminate about 12 feet, measure and cut it down.

Edit to say, if it actually was a print and I was caught off gaurd... I would have forgon the SpongeBob explicitive and let the real ones fly.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I'm excited to share I finally bought a printer - after 2 years of Notarealsignguy telling me I won't regret it! LOL It's been delivered and is sitting here waiting for the electrician to install some 220's for me, and I had a water pipe issue that required the floor to be jackhammered up so a little delay in set-up. HP Latex...I would have preferred to spend $25,000 but I don't have that laying around.

I have lots of projects in my head and can barely contain my excitement to get started!

I need to order some material now. I've been using Signs365 and been happy with both the 3M and the General Formulations. I'm unsure what laminate to match up with materials. I have some posts saved, and some of you have sent me information and it's a bit overwhelming. I would like to start with some basic calendared, 13 oz banner and some cast/wrap material - can you suggest to me your favorites to get started? I'm a little concerned about color matching as I've read this seems to be an issue with HP. I'm going to spend some of this week trying to learn more and there's a "class" from HP to take. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Congratulations on your purchase!
Regardless how much you've spent on it, it's always exciting!!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I haven't gotten to the end of a roll yet but sounds like I should revisit this post when I do! LOL

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Best to start using the built in roll meter in the printer. Input full roll length and it will then tell you how much is left. Write that on the corner and input next time.
Much better than guessing and calculating how much is left.

Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I was saying it for Stacey.
I was pretty sure that it will account even the leading edge if you unload it. At least it will account the fact that you move it forward. You can see it on the screen after moving that the length has changed.
But that's easy to test. I'll test it some day if I remember.

Boudica

I always put the length in when I load the media. Then when I read the length left, I subtract a foot and write it in the corner as balstestrat said. When the roll gets close to the end there is generally a few more feet than what it says. If the roll gets taken in and out a lot - then more so. I have a great way to measure what's actually on there, I've mentioned my nifty system on here before.

Boudica

Yeah, but how do you know if that 10' dimension you've niftily calculated is including a full wrap around the core that's welded vs the last 1" that's taped?
I round off in ft. What ever calculation I get, I also subtract 3 ft for cushion to be absolutely safe, and accommodate lead and trail. It's a beautiful system, I'm telling ya.

Notarealsignguy

I round off in ft. What ever calculation I get, I also subtract 3 ft for cushion to be absolutely safe, and accommodate lead and trail. It's a beautiful system, I'm telling ya.
If you were a pro like me, you could eyeball it and be right everytime.

Boudica

I'm always a pro and never divulge my mistakes. Winky emoji here, I guess they don't work on here or I'm dumb
So, what your telling us is, you screw up on a daily basis, but you don't admit it?
PS, only the supplied emoji's work here - not the ones from your phone.

Notarealsignguy

So, what your telling us is, you screw up on a daily basis, but you don't admit it?
PS, only the supplied emoji's work here - not the ones from your phone.
No boudica, are your pants too tight? I said I don't make mistakes BUT if I did, I would blame someone else. My supervisor has it under control.
PXL_20210519_181117358.jpg