• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Merry Christmas! I finally bought a printer

Stacey K

I like making signs
I printed out the CMYK chart from the printer. My assumption is that if I can enter these values into Flexi as I'm designing and selecting colors for projects, they should print pretty close, right? I haven't had a lot of time to do training or play around much. I just want to make sure I'm thinking on the right track...? This part scares me the most considering my latest gradient blunder that I needed saving from.

rjssigns

I printed out the CMYK chart from the printer. My assumption is that if I can enter these values into Flexi as I'm designing and selecting colors for projects, they should print pretty close, right? I haven't had a lot of time to do training or play around much. I just want to make sure I'm thinking on the right track...? This part scares me the most considering my latest gradient blunder that I needed saving from.
You can print PMS or other color charts from Flexi. You might find them handy when trying to "hit" color. Of course the printed PMS charts work better if you have a Pantone swatchbook for reference.
Comparing the printed color to the Pantone swatch can be a big help in a non-profiled environment. Gives you a solid idea of the printers character.

Characterization is one of the Three C's of color management.

Last edited:

Scotchbrite

No comment
We use a printed pantone chart and it comes in handy. In addition to checking color match, if a customer is here we can have them pick a color they like.

Sometimes I get files from customers and there will be a color that comes out really nice. I'll color pick the file and and save that swatch so I can use it in the future. Over time you'll develop a custom palette. At least until you buy another machine or change your RIP software.

Stacey K

I like making signs
We use a printed pantone chart and it comes in handy. In addition to checking color match, if a customer is here we can have them pick a color they like.

Sometimes I get files from customers and there will be a color that comes out really nice. I'll color pick the file and and save that swatch so I can use it in the future. Over time you'll develop a custom palette. At least until you buy another machine or change your RIP software.
In addition to what rjsigns and you said about printing the charts out - which I will do - I like the idea of creating my own palette and printing it. Most of my customers are small businesses and not picky...they say "light blue" or "bright green" and I've found myself using the same vinyl colors or converting some customers over 1 shade to cut down on inventory. No sense in stocking 5 medium blues, I try to use 1-2 instead. Sounds like a good path to go down with printing also!

Scotchbrite

No comment
In addition to what rjsigns and you said about printing the charts out - which I will do - I like the idea of creating my own palette and printing it. Most of my customers are small businesses and not picky...they say "light blue" or "bright green" and I've found myself using the same vinyl colors or converting some customers over 1 shade to cut down on inventory. No sense in stocking 5 medium blues, I try to use 1-2 instead. Sounds like a good path to go down with printing also!
That's true. In our shop if someone says they want "red" they're going to get 220-53 Cardinal Red. :)

Every time we get a new printer it seems like a bit of process to find good solid colors. Seems like each machine will struggle with a particular color and you have to find just the right formula.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Here's a grey chart generated in corel with greyscale for one column and K levels for the other. If nothing else it's good to see when your black is going to start looking more like bronze, or if a 20% K replacement for a green looking grey will suffice.
Did you get the flexi rip for the machine?
Thank you! Yes, I have the Flexi Rip, much nicer than my old version lol

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Take a look at this video on Flexi's color mapping tool:

I'm surprised more people don't use it to be honest. It takes a Pantone color and prints a chart automatically adjusting the color slightly for each square. Then you just pick the square that looks the closest and every time you send that Pantone to the RIP it will automatically pick the right one.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Take a look at this video on Flexi's color mapping tool:

I'm surprised more people don't use it to be honest. It takes a Pantone color and prints a chart automatically adjusting the color slightly for each square. Then you just pick the square that looks the closest and every time you send that Pantone to the RIP it will automatically pick the right one.
That is very cool!