• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Merry Christmas! I finally bought a printer

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm excited to share I finally bought a printer - after 2 years of Notarealsignguy telling me I won't regret it! LOL It's been delivered and is sitting here waiting for the electrician to install some 220's for me, and I had a water pipe issue that required the floor to be jackhammered up so a little delay in set-up. HP Latex...I would have preferred to spend $25,000 but I don't have that laying around.

I have lots of projects in my head and can barely contain my excitement to get started!

I need to order some material now. I've been using Signs365 and been happy with both the 3M and the General Formulations. I'm unsure what laminate to match up with materials. I have some posts saved, and some of you have sent me information and it's a bit overwhelming. I would like to start with some basic calendared, 13 oz banner and some cast/wrap material - can you suggest to me your favorites to get started? I'm a little concerned about color matching as I've read this seems to be an issue with HP. I'm going to spend some of this week trying to learn more and there's a "class" from HP to take. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Stacey K

I like making signs
you've been outsourcing everything all this time?
congratulations.
Thank you! Yes, I have been. The biggest fear was if I can figure this all out and maintain it being just one person. Also it will be more labor but in the long run, it's become much more obvious that I can expand my business having printing on-site.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Substance Inc will send you samples
These are my go tos:
Calendared for regular basic use:
Substance PM-3755 vinyl
Substance PL-3150 laminate
Intermediate
3M IJ-40C and 3M 8518 laminate
We use this on trucks and equipment
Cast:
Arlon SLX+
Avery 1105
Either with 8518 laminate

I also keep a roll of substance 444 high tack and their textured 6mil laminate
Reflective we switched to nikkalite who will also send you samples

gnubler

Thank you! Yes, I have been. The biggest fear was if I can figure this all out and maintain it being just one person. Also it will be more labor but in the long run, it's become much more obvious that I can expand my business having printing on-site.
I outsource all printing as well, no interest in dealing with the headaches of having my own printer. I'm also a one person shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If maintenance is your biggest fear, just remember the people who sold it to you, should be local and able to help you in a few minutes to a few hours or be there in person by the next day. Please tell me, you made these provisions when buying it. Maintaining most machines is not too terribly hard, but can be tricky, so always make sure your distributor will service you. That's one of the main components of buying a machine.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was looking at 115 too.. What laminator did you get

If maintenance is your biggest fear, just remember the people who sold it to you, should be local and able to help you in a few minutes to a few hours or be there in person by the next day. Please tell me, you made these provisions when buying it. Maintaining most machines is not too terribly hard, but can be tricky, so always make sure your distributor will service you. That's one of the main components of buying a machine.
Yes, I bought local!

netsol

do you have any sort of bulk ink arrangement for the latex printers?
i would assume no, since we have expiration dates on the heads and all

balstestrat

Problem Solver
do you have any sort of bulk ink arrangement for the latex printers?
i would assume no, since we have expiration dates on the heads and all
Well HP has their own bulk ink system but a custom one, no. There was this one guy here who made his own modification.

I have a pretty good idea how I would do it in theory but in reality it hardly makes any sense because then you should use the massive ass 10L ink packs (that has cheaper ink) and print 24/7 to use all that ink.