• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Metal Business Cards

CES020

http://www.epiloglaser.com/in/lasers.htm

Read down some to this line......

Can you cut through metal? No, the frequency of the CO2 laser requires very high wattages of lasers to penetrate through metals. Epilog's CO2 laser systems are best suited to cutting wood, acrylic, plastic, and fabric.

I guess they don't know what they are talking about either, since they make engraving lasers and such.

And from Universals web site :

Laser Cutting Machines

Our precision manufactured lasers and laser systems deliver the highest possible laser cutting performance on a wide variety of materials, including acrylic, wood, cardstock and textiles.

I guess they left off metal. It's probably an oversight from their marketing department. Another bunch of stupid people that build lasers that don't know that they can cut metal.

And from Trotec's web site :

Whether you are die-cutting or laser cutting acrylic…whether you are in the field of architecture or woodworking…whether you are working with ceramics or cardboard…laser cutting has never been so simple, accurate, and fast!

They left metal off too. Gosh, these people don't have a clue about engraving lasers.

3 Laser Manufacturers, all manufacturers of engraving systems and all 3 say you can't cut metal with their systems. Where have I heard that from before......oh.....right, from me. Kern hardly fits into the same category as those 3, which, again, is what I said, if you go to the industrial type machines....

Esmae

There's no need for sarcasm, I'm just trying to help. I know a bit on the subject (not everything) so am offering my knowledge to you. I don't have to be a laser salesman to know lasers. Is it really that hard for you to admit you have absolutely NO idea

What brand and wattage are you using? If you don't have at least 100 watts you will definitely struggle to cut through metal. It all comes down to power output (watts)

I currently have a 30 watt (not enough power to cut through metal). but i would like to have a 100-150 watt sitting here for the purpose of cutting metals. At my former place of employment they had a 100 watt (CO2) strippit fixed head laser sitting in the corner. It was one of the first lasers in Australia, they used to use it for profile cutting .8mm metal.

But of course, what would i know.

Esmae

http://www.epiloglaser.com/in/lasers.htm

Read down some to this line......

Can you cut through metal? No, the frequency of the CO2 laser requires very high wattages of lasers to penetrate through metals. Epilog's CO2 laser systems are best suited to cutting wood, acrylic, plastic, and fabric.

I guess they don't know what they are talking about either, since they make engraving lasers and such.

And from Universals web site :

Laser Cutting Machines

Our precision manufactured lasers and laser systems deliver the highest possible laser cutting performance on a wide variety of materials, including acrylic, wood, cardstock and textiles.

I guess they left off metal. It's probably an oversight from their marketing department. Another bunch of stupid people that build lasers that don't know that they can cut metal.

And from Trotec's web site :

Whether you are die-cutting or laser cutting acrylic…whether you are in the field of architecture or woodworking…whether you are working with ceramics or cardboard…laser cutting has never been so simple, accurate, and fast!

They left metal off too. Gosh, these people don't have a clue about engraving lasers.

3 Laser Manufacturers, all manufacturers of engraving systems and all 3 say you can't cut metal with their systems. Where have I heard that from before......oh.....right, from me. Kern hardly fits into the same category as those 3, which, again, is what I said, if you go to the industrial type machines....

You know why???

Not because they cant, it's because they don't want you to damage the bed,. you would void your warranty running a 100 watt laser at say 500mm a minute. There's absolutely nothing different about the kern only that they dont have a cumbersome cabinet surrounding the working area and that they have a slat bed instead of a flat bed.

Why don't you give them a call and ask them. You are making a fool out of yourself here.

Last edited:

Baz

I would like to hear this conversation while sitting and drinking together at a bar :toasting: It would be much cooler and louder! :ROFLMAO:

iSign

Although your condescending attitude is expected..... its not appreciated.

with your feisty defensiveness about all your riches & your VIP friends, it certainly was expected...

but if you are considering a merchant membership account here, you might want to tone down the superiority complex a tad...

and if not... we'll we'll let others clean that up....

Thanks... as for my superiority complex... I will not tone it down... car wrapping, and tinting is a hobby for me. Not a business. I understand that this is your livelihood, understand that it is not mine. I am interested in learning this trade. Mostly for my own benefit, and for that of my friends, nothing funner for me then changing the color of my car every month. I am in the process of wrapping my Gallardo, Ill be posting a thread about it in a few weeks when I am done, provided it doesn't turn out that bad.

I am interested in making metal business cards for a few of the friends who are interested in them, but mostly because Id like to create a cool metal card for anything that might pop into my head for whatever reason.

Your comment "and if not... we'll we'll let others clean that up...." I assume you mean my attitude.

That's not really warranted. Mostly because I doubt there is a person on this board who would be able to humble me. Because the truth is, I get paid in interest, what you and 90% of this board makes in a year.
That being said, I am not here to make enemies... but I am also not here to make friends, if I make a few of either or along the way, great, if not, nothing is lost. I am looking for advice for things I am asking, if you dont like my attitude, or if you think I am "Cocky" then please, move on to another post.

Yours truly.

Joseph Taggart
Taggert Construction

wow, I knew you were cocky.. but never guessed at the full level of your delusions about the importance of your wallet around here...

...this is a free community, for freely sharing information... your daddy's wealth in Taggert construction means nothing here... if you are just another cheapa$$ trust funder, who's used to momma's silver spoon in your mouth... you still can't buy a clue around here... nobody here wants to help your kind...

...but as for my comment being about your attitude... we got plenty bad attitudes around here that your's pales in comparison to, but we all get along regardless because we are like family... you ain't yet! (and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict you never will be)

by the way, since you asked... "let others clean it up" meant those 2 illegal self promotional web addy's you were trolling with earlier... get it? "if you are considering a merchant membership account here... blah blah blah... if not, we'll let others clean it up" ...meaning clean up your illegitimate links... (which was done I see)

...by the way, speaking of illegitimate... nah, not going there... keep the inheritance... I was going to say your membership here might be illegitimate too, given that this is just a hobby for you... but who knows... that ain't my call.. however not too many folks here will help someone exhibiting as much condescension to those they wish assistance from...

..so tone it up buddy... burn, bridges.. burn :rock-n-roll:

I doubt there is a person on this board who would be able to humble me.
I will give you credit however.. seems like you are not a complete imbecile... I do believe you will not be easily humbled!

CES020

Why don't you give them a call and ask them. You are making a fool out of yourself here.

I don't need to call them, I own their machines. They WON'T cut metal. Not sure how many times I have to repeat that, but I'll try it again. They WON'T cut metal. You seem to be confusing the issues here. You're talking theory and I'm answering the post. Will a CO2 laser cut metal with the right wattage? Yes, it will. Will the machines sold as laser engraving machines (i.e. Epilog, Univeral, Trotec) cut metal? No. That was the question. The question wasn't "Is is possible to cut metal with a CO2 laser". My response was to the post that said "Get a laser engraver and you can cut them", to which my response was "No it won't".

Geez, don't let the actual context of the conversation interfere with your posts. There's about a dozen people on here that I know of that have laser engravers. Post a new thread and ask how many of them can cut metal with their laser engravers. I'll start the count off with my vote "Not me".

iSign

would you two quit arguing... I'm trying to have an argument here!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
just kidding... carry on :)

Esmae

I don't need to call them, I own their machines. They WON'T cut metal. Not sure how many times I have to repeat that, but I'll try it again. They WON'T cut metal. You seem to be confusing the issues here. You're talking theory and I'm answering the post. Will a CO2 laser cut metal with the right wattage? Yes, it will. Will the machines sold as laser engraving machines (i.e. Epilog, Univeral, Trotec) cut metal? No. That was the question. The question wasn't "Is is possible to cut metal with a CO2 laser". My response was to the post that said "Get a laser engraver and you can cut them", to which my response was "No it won't".

Geez, don't let the actual context of the conversation interfere with your posts. There's about a dozen people on here that I know of that have laser engravers. Post a new thread and ask how many of them can cut metal with their laser engravers. I'll start the count off with my vote "Not me".

Listen, a 100 watt epilog, trotec, universal, kern, farmer bob's homemade piece of crap. Will all cut metal. Get your brain around that

CES020

OH, you said cut metal. I misunderstood. I feel so stupid now. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I feel smarter already.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Panerai I am confused...

are you a construction guy with a plotter who wants to do his own stuff or a sign guy that does construction? Your name (or any associated accolades you may expect for having it) are totally lost on me, so I am asking the question looking for an honest answer... because you appear to be a guy looking to do his own stuff.

CES020

Again, in context, we were talking about common laser engraving machines. You can take anything out of context, which you have proven.

Glad you had fun. My engraving laser still won't cut. It's on pass #842 on this stainless and it hasn't even left a mark yet.

Esmae

Again, in context, we were talking about common laser engraving machines. You can take anything out of context, which you have proven.

Glad you had fun. My engraving laser still won't cut. It's on pass #842 on this stainless and it hasn't even left a mark yet.

What is so out of context?

100 watt CO2 laser will cut metal. Epilog, universal, trotec all sell 100 watt lasers.

So what is out of context, you said a CO2 laser won't cut metal because of (wait for it) the wavelength :ROFLMAO:, stop talking to salesmen and start talking to techs, that way you can wade through the crap to the truth. Then you might know what you are dribbling about.

Sorry for my rudeness but you seriously are an ignoramus, soak up a little knowledge instead of arguing

CES020

Ahhh, you got to love this place.

I said in CONTEXT to someone telling the person to get a laser engraver to cut metal business cards, that a "laser engraver" won't cut it. In the CONTEXT (maybe they don't use that word down there) of the conversation, we're talking about low power laser engravers. That's about the 5th time I've said that. Yet you keep citing that it's possible with higher wattage, a claim I even supported.

Of 3 laser manufacturers, they have supported exactly what I said. If they cut metal so great, they'd be on the front page of the 3 laser companies websites, showing off their ability.

I'm not talking to salesmen or techs, I'm looking over my shoulder at a laser that won't cut metal. It won't cut aluminum foil, stainless steel, carbon steel. And it's exactly the type of laser I was talking about (hint hint hint- in context) to this conversation.

No sense in arguing with you any more, you don't listen to what I said and you keep repeating things out of context.

Show me on Epilog, Universal, or Trotecs site where they say their 100 watt will cut metal. Oh wait, they don't. And because you said it's something they don't want you to do. So do I believe you, or the people that make them. Hummm.....okay, I'll go with you.

Have a good evening. I'm done.

Happy Valentines day to you :loveya:

mikey-Oh

I have a 100w epilog and have only ever been able to etch the right kind of aluminum. Don't give two ch!ts about sales reps and am very curious how I could cut steel. Care to enlighten our dumba$$'?

Esmae

I have a 100w epilog and have only ever been able to etch the right kind of aluminum. Don't give two ch!ts about sales reps and am very curious how I could cut steel. Care to enlighten our dumba$$'?

You'll really struggle with aluminium but you will cut mild steel. You need to make it pierce the metal before you can proceed with cutting. this will be a few seconds in one spot with the laser at full power, then you may proceed to vaporise the molten metal at a steady rate (100watt very steady) you will need air assist (or cutting gas). try it with .8mm mild

Esmae

Ahhh, you got to love this place.

I said in CONTEXT to someone telling the person to get a laser engraver to cut metal business cards, that a "laser engraver" won't cut it. In the CONTEXT (maybe they don't use that word down there) of the conversation, we're talking about low power laser engravers. That's about the 5th time I've said that. Yet you keep citing that it's possible with higher wattage, a claim I even supported.

Of 3 laser manufacturers, they have supported exactly what I said. If they cut metal so great, they'd be on the front page of the 3 laser companies websites, showing off their ability.

I'm not talking to salesmen or techs, I'm looking over my shoulder at a laser that won't cut metal. It won't cut aluminum foil, stainless steel, carbon steel. And it's exactly the type of laser I was talking about (hint hint hint- in context) to this conversation.

No sense in arguing with you any more, you don't listen to what I said and you keep repeating things out of context.

Show me on Epilog, Universal, or Trotecs site where they say their 100 watt will cut metal. Oh wait, they don't. And because you said it's something they don't want you to do. So do I believe you, or the people that make them. Hummm.....okay, I'll go with you.

Have a good evening. I'm done.

Happy Valentines day to you :loveya:

Kern is no different to epilog trotec etc. in that it is still a laser engraving machine, have a look at their materials list. http://www.kernlasers.com/materials.htm