• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Military Discount?

Idea Design

I can't believe I've never been approached about this in all my time of running my business, but finally today we got asked about offering a military discount.

Do any of you offer any standardized military discount? My father-in-law served in the marines and also the army, so I really hate to just flat out say no to this kind of thing. I'm just wondering if there was a standard rate or percent or anything that I could use as a guide.

Thanks for all your advice.

Cody

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We always give them a discount.... and a mighty hefty one. Without most of them... we wouldn't be here. :unclesam:

Stealth Ryder

Yes, always give Active Duty Military a discount... The amount should reflect how much you appreciate what they do for you (within reason of course)...

heyskull

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am starting to wonder if anyone would like to pay full price. You may find the answer is NO.
I have never had anyone in the forces ever ask for discount, if they did it would make me wonder if they really were!
We get a lot of people come in and act as if they are a charity and in reality just want a cheaper price!
We donate to a number of charities and good causes in either money or goods over the year using a set amount which is adjusted each year.
We give a good price to all who walk through the door but their are now no exceptions to this. I know this sounds stern but we are in a business to make a living and it is hard work making ends meet these days.

SC

scuba_steve2699

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am starting to wonder if anyone would like to pay full price. You may find the answer is NO.
I have never had anyone in the forces ever ask for discount, if they did it would make me wonder if they really were!
We get a lot of people come in and act as if they are a charity and in reality just want a cheaper price!
We donate to a number of charities and good causes in either money or goods over the year using a set amount which is adjusted each year.
We give a good price to all who walk through the door but their are now no exceptions to this. I know this sounds stern but we are in a business to make a living and it is hard work making ends meet these days.

SC

I am about to retire from the US Navy and do often ask if there is a military discount. We do not get paid all that well and like you, I find it hard to make ends meet these days. I also have a shop with my wife where we offer discounts to several groups in appreciation for what they do. I am guessing that you appreciate the armed forces that serve our country and all of the freedoms that they ensure you have. I feel sad that you would think that just because I ask for a military discount that you would doubt that I really serve our country.

Just my 2 cents

Machinist Mate Chief Steven Jackson US Navy (almost retired - 63 days to go!)

scuba_steve2699

BTW - we give 10% off to anyone that serves their country in our shop. I also try like hell to make sure that we show appreciation for what they do!

Pat Whatley

Why should I give a discount to military? Did somebody force them into indentured servitude and they need to be pitied? Did I miss the draft? They chose to do a job, just like I chose to do mine. Same thing goes for policemen, firemen, churches and charities.

TheSnowman

I haven't ever had one asked for. Not sure what I would do...it would probably depend on how they treated me from when they walked in the door. If someone is swearing up a storm thinking they are really funny while insulting me at the same time, no way. If they were kind, and thankful for what we can do for them instead of thinking "you just push a button" I would probably consider it more.

If many more come in wanting a lower price, I'm not going to be around to give them one.

scuba_steve2699

Why should I give a discount to military? Did somebody force them into indentured servitude and they need to be pitied? Did I miss the draft? They chose to do a job, just like I chose to do mine. Same thing goes for policemen, firemen, churches and charities.

No one forced me, I voluntered. I ask for no pity or special considerations, but greatly appreciate them when they are availible. It is my honor to serve and my privelage to acknowledge those who serve our country and put their life, families and freedom on the line every day in order to ensure that our country remains free. If you choose to not offer a discount, you are using your freedoms provided by the sacrifice of those men and women who serve. I choose to show my appreciation to them. If I cannot afford 10% off to those individuals, I guess I should re think my pricing and how I run my business.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Stealth Ryder

Well Pat, if that is how you truly then by all means do not offer a discount to military folks, I am quite sure they will not hold it against you and politely take their business elswhere... Win Win for everyone involved... God Bless our Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines who have served and who currently serve...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow Pat........

That's the very same felling I have towards baseball and football players and other sports related figures. It's also how I feel towards politicians and local government. All these people who feel they are important and other asswipes walking freely around our streets.... thanks to these brave military, police and fire forces. Nope, I really differ from your feelings on that one. I salute them one and all, past, present and future.

Now, if you're talking about some other half-witted country's army or air force.... charge them out the wazoo of you want.

Churches, well only my own church gets a discount [free], but no others. Not anymore.

David Wright

No one forced me, I voluntered. I ask for no pity or special considerations, but greatly appreciate them when they are availible. It is my honor to serve and my privelage to acknowledge those who serve our country and put their life, families and freedom on the line every day in order to ensure that our country remains free. If you choose to not offer a discount, you are using your freedoms provided by the sacrifice of those men and women who serve. I choose to show my appreciation to them. If I cannot afford 10% off to those individuals, I guess I should re think my pricing and how I run my business.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Everyone has to have some myth to believe in I guess.

32bantum

WOw! I like most have never given a discount other than for the church or mission trips. If asked, I would most likey knock off 10%. simply because I have been there and know the sacrafices that are made. Your shop ...your decision.

MMCS(SW) Retired

Pat Whatley

If you choose to not offer a discount, you are using your freedoms provided by the sacrifice of those men and women who serve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely thankful for the people who fought, and died, for our freedoms. I'm thankful for the policemen who have been hurt or died trying to help someone else, or put themselves between danger and other people. Firemen who just burned searching through a burning building for a child are right up there next to angels in my mind. The Marine who gets a rifle shoved in his hand and gets shipped to the desert to defend people he's never met....who shoot at him for his efforts....is someone I'll support completely.

Those people have earned the right to be called heroes. Those people deserve to be put on a pedestal above the rest.

But just being part of "the club" does not make you a hero, and does not make you anything more than an employee. Sorry, the motorcycle cop who spends a career writing tickets is not a hero. The fireman who drives the truck and nothing else is not a hero. The guy running the warehouse on a military base is not a hero. They're just people doing a job, just like me and you. It's no more "service" or "sacrifice" than what Bob the mechanic across the street does. My grandfather spend five years in Australia and the Phillipines in World War 2. He never saw real combat, he pitched for the Army baseball team He's told me several times he wasn't a hero, the guys who were out there getting shot at were the heroes and that's always made sense to me.

Do you offer discounts to everyone who does good? Do you have a foster parent discount? A blood donor discount? I helped a lady change a tire a couple of months ago do I get a discount? My point is (and I know most people have already jumped into "Oh my God...Pat's the anti-Christ" mode and will miss it) is that we toss the terms service, sacrifice, and hero out there way too much because the PR campaigns have convinced us that's what we're supposed to do.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Last edited:

Fatboy

Good point Pat.! I just think from a marketing point one can get some milage by stating you offer these people a discount.
How is the reverends:ROFLMAO: of Africa treating you?

scuba_steve2699

Pat - well said but I will disagree with you. Even the guy working in the warehouse goes has the potential to go into a combat zone. Most service mebbers like myself also volunteer in those other organizations that you singeled out ( firefightres etc.). I doubt that you have served or you would understand the sacrifices made every day by those individuals. Enjoy your freedom to say what you want, not offer a discount and have your own business. I still feel great about protecting your freedoms!

David Wright

Going on Pat's last point the same goes here in the Detroit area. Restaurants and auto repair to eyeglass stores offering discounts to union members. You mean the vast numbers of overpaid and underworked rabble are getting better prices than me?

When you are in a union you become part of anonymous mass with no distinctions between good and efficient worker to the dead beats at the bottom. Most here agree that is not something we want to be part of.

So why is the military club punk card always getting played. Most didn't join for any great or honorable reason, or did anything resembling protecting me or freedom. Those that did have their reward already and would probably be ashamed at taking any special discount or honor for what they did. I know some of them.

Just like the handicapped parking passes that are given to anyone who applies for them if they are of a given age. They play them like a badge of honor or a status parking pass. Then you see the truly hobbled and elderly that park with the rest of us and don't take the pass.