• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV-400 Latex

Is the Mimaki JV-400 latex printer shipping to end users yet?

If so, can anyone that is using the JV-400 latex offer any comments on your experinces to date with the machine?

toodark

At $31,000 they can keep that printer. Stopped in at my local printer dist and they could not get it to print without banding and they said stay away from the white. Guess they are not looking at selling any of these printers.

MIMO

I recently had a 'full' demo of the printer at ND Graphics in Toronto with a rep from Mimaki and a local gent.

I went into it wanting this machine to make up for some of the deficiencies in the L25500 but came away generally unimpressed with the Mimaki.

PROS
-output was indeed beautiful...machine was running slow and at 1440 or something similar, but very nice on some adhesive vinyl
-machine runs about 15 Celsius cooler which should help with some of the media issues, but in the testing they had done, they still needed to get temps up to 70C or more so I don't know if this will fix all the temperature grievances we've all had
-this thing is as quiet as an aqueous printer, very quiet

CONS
-machine costs about $35K plus more for the white ink option
-if you choose the white ink option you will have a slow machine
-both the Mimaki rep and the local rep were discouraging people from choosing the white ink option
-Mimaki rep admitted they were still getting their ink 'right' even up to the launch date
-rep claimed 'huge' cost savings in ink, printheads (they are 'permanent' in the Mimaki), and electricity to justify the higher up front cost, but his numbers were based on a lot of messed up assumptions
-the guy couldn't stop slamming the HP machines which got tiresome after a while

I came away from it feeling like they were still figuring this thing out and I wasn't interested in being part of their real world beta (remember that HP had latex ink in use for a number of years in their larger machines before coming out with the DesignJet). Like I said, I do applaud Mimaki for getting into the market, but for our company, we're not ready to be a testing ground...I feel like we've been that for the L25500 ...we need machines now that can run and run until we break them and need new ones.
One last thing. I'm not sure where they came up with their pricing, but they are totally out to lunch on that IMHO.
That's my take. Go check one out if you get a chance. Pretty cool to see something other than HP in this space but I wouldn't touch it as a production machine.

rjssigns

Interesting. So this means the "Ricoh" unit will have the exact same issues. Seems like the same issue I went over in my post regarding the new Epson. Certain people took exception with that post, but I was vindicated as the truth came out. A manufacturer wants to capture a percentage of a specific market so it dives in head first without proper testing. Speed to market is only good if your product is "locked down" and ready to rock. Period.

cptcorn

adad
I recently had a 'full' demo of the printer at ND Graphics in Toronto with a rep from Mimaki and a local gent.

I went into it wanting this machine to make up for some of the deficiencies in the L25500 but came away generally unimpressed with the Mimaki.

PROS
-output was indeed beautiful...machine was running slow and at 1440 or something similar, but very nice on some adhesive vinyl
-machine runs about 15 Celsius cooler which should help with some of the media issues, but in the testing they had done, they still needed to get temps up to 70C or more so I don't know if this will fix all the temperature grievances we've all had
-this thing is as quiet as an aqueous printer, very quiet

CONS
-machine costs about $35K plus more for the white ink option
-if you choose the white ink option you will have a slow machine
-both the Mimaki rep and the local rep were discouraging people from choosing the white ink option
-Mimaki rep admitted they were still getting their ink 'right' even up to the launch date
-rep claimed 'huge' cost savings in ink, printheads (they are 'permanent' in the Mimaki), and electricity to justify the higher up front cost, but his numbers were based on a lot of messed up assumptions
-the guy couldn't stop slamming the HP machines which got tiresome after a while

I came away from it feeling like they were still figuring this thing out and I wasn't interested in being part of their real world beta (remember that HP had latex ink in use for a number of years in their larger machines before coming out with the DesignJet). Like I said, I do applaud Mimaki for getting into the market, but for our company, we're not ready to be a testing ground...I feel like we've been that for the L25500 ...we need machines now that can run and run until we break them and need new ones.
One last thing. I'm not sure where they came up with their pricing, but they are totally out to lunch on that IMHO.
That's my take. Go check one out if you get a chance. Pretty cool to see something other than HP in this space but I wouldn't touch it as a production machine.

I would like to see this same report, just reversed for your L25500. Thanks for the input!

jhanson

Interesting. So this means the "Ricoh" unit will have the exact same issues. Seems like the same issue I went over in my post regarding the new Epson. Certain people took exception with that post, but I was vindicated as the truth came out. A manufacturer wants to capture a percentage of a specific market so it dives in head first without proper testing. Speed to market is only good if your product is "locked down" and ready to rock. Period.

It's not the first time Mimaki has done a headfirst dive into a market with untested equipment. There are plenty of early JV5 adopters who will attest to that.

However, they do have perseverance. We recently got a JV5-320DS that works beautifully. But it took them until mid 2009 to resolve most of the issues -- considering that the JV5 was introduced in 2006, that's 3 years of buggy products...

jhanson

Hopefully they've learned their lessons this time. A lot of the "issues" with new machines like this is simply lack of experience -- operators will apply what they already know, and when you have an ink that reacts differently from most other inks on the market, it makes for a steep learning curve.

Price point I would expect to drop somewhat as time goes on, however the Ricoh heads are more industrial than most Epson head based printers, so I'm not really surprised it's as high as it is. In fact, most big printers based on Ricoh heads are at least twice as expensive...

rjssigns

Interesting. Did not realize Ricoh heads were that expensive. Well that pretty much makes up my mind. I look at repair costs and if it is gonna cost several thousand to replace a head forget it. Found Gen3's from China @ $1800. Can't imagine what the Gen5's go for.

toodark

The Mimaki dealer kept saying you will save all this $$$$ on eletric compaired to the HP. The HP can not be using that much more enery than the Mimaki. The temp was still jack up on their machine. I would think the HP ruinning on 220 would be more efficent than the 110 Mimaki.

sandraF

Any more inputs from these 2 printers (HP or mimaki)... I'm looking into latex printers as well.
I currently go towards the HP as a safer bet.
What are really the maintenance cost, ink cost on these?
Thanks

edgegraphics

Mimaki JV160LX

Just curious what everyone thinks about this printer now. I understand they have fixed many of the problems they have been having. Any first hand experience with them. Thanks in advance.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Would love to hear from ANYONE who actually has one of these machiines, Im starting to think of this machine as the Bigfoot of our industry lol.