• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV2- 130- any opinions?

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I'd appreciate opinions on the Mimaki JV2- 130 - problems, positives, value etc, from anyone.
I did a search here and came up with nothing, which I thought was odd.
Thanks!

iSign

yeah, I think you'll get a lot more hits searching JV3

I have the JV3 160sp I love it. I think I looked at the 30" machine first to get my brain talked into that price tag & use of shop space first... then once I had mentally committed that investment, I started working on myself to justify all the awesome printed bang out 36" wide banners I wouldn't be able to do... as well as all the seams I would have in large signs that I could just do on the edge if I didn't mind seams.

When you search I guarantee you will find the majority of inkjet printer owners who didn't get 54" or better width end up regretting the choice of a smaller printer.

As far as drawbacks, the Mimaki requires 5 - 10 minutes of maintenance every other day or so. I've been slacking since my employee left & that's not a good thing.

thewood

We have the JV3-160S. I believe the 130 is a 54" machine. As far as the 160 goes, it is a workhorse--a fantastic printer. We love it, and it has completely revolutionized the workflow in our shop and the manner in which we produce certain types of signs.

Urban Image

Great printer but I don't like Mild solvent. It's weaker than real solvent but it should still be ventilated (they'll swear otherwise). I don't really see any benefit in it. I always suggest either solvent or eco-solvent.

Also, the inks are more expensive per liter than most other manufacturers. I think they actually cost over $100 more per liter than Mutoh. I'm not sure about Roland.

The Mimaki also leaves something to be desired in speed.

I've also had customers that said it was a bit of a high maintenance machine and not very user friendly. Pick a good vendor who will service it themselves, too. Mimaki isn't good about service.

It has great image quality, though.

It all depends on what is most important to you. I would suggest comparing it to the 64" ValueJet (Around $20,995) and the Roland SolJet 3 (Around $29,995). Both of those printers are very well balanced machines.

thewood

Great printer but I don't like Mild solvent.

Our JV3 runs full solvent inks

Also, the inks are more expensive per liter than most other manufacturers. I think they actually cost over $100 more per liter than Mutoh. I'm not sure about Roland.

We run Triangle inks that cost less than $100 liter total!

I've also had customers that said it was a bit of a high maintenance machine and not very user friendly. Pick a good vendor who will service it themselves, too. Mimaki isn't good about service.

It's not a desktop printer by any means! It does require 5-10 minutes or so daily maintenance and an additional 15 minutes or so on Mondays. But don't we all move a bit slower on Mondays?

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Thanks very much- but Doug, it IS the JV2-130 I was enquiring about! One's for sale here in Oz. All I could find on the net was that it was a 7-colour printer- the usual 6, CMYK, LC, LM, plus a pigmented black=7. It also seems obsolete I'd guess, as there are drivers for it on the mimaki website, but no data about it.

Maybe it was a short-lived run?

Urban Image

If you're considering buying it from the owner be sure to ask why they are "getting rid of it". If you are buying it from a dealer, ask why the original owner got rid of it and don't be afraid to ask for their contact information. The previous owner is the best source of information available to you.

The only specifications I could find were in German and I don't know German but specifications can be misleading. Never judge a printer by its max speed. The "max speed" has, generally speaking, turned into nothing more than a marketing tool. I see printers claiming 600 sfph all the time but the next print mode, "Production Mode", is only 140-160 sfph. Keep that in mind. Also, the opinion of an honest salesman who genuinely wants your business after you get the printer will be far more valuable than a stat sheet.

That's just my 2 cents. Happy shopping.

ChicagoGraphics

Ian........
The mimaki JV2 is a water based pigment or dye printer, printed only on coated stock that gets to be expensive.
And for the JV3-160sp great machine, a true money$$$$ maker!!
good luck to you..........

Wongdoe

I may be a little late, but being new to the board, I just found this thread!

I have 2 Mimaki JV2 - 130's. I use them for sublimation. Good machines but these are a little older (maybe 5 - 10 yrs). It all depends what you intend to do with it - I don't think it can be a solvent printer (you would need a JV3).