• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki type of ink

Andrea febrian

hi guys i'm new here, i want to buy mimaki JV150, but i get confuse with the ink types, can you explain to what is the differences between these type of ink?
-SS21
-ES3
-BS3
-BS4

Thank you :)

dale911

President
What do you plan to use the printer for? That will dictate what type of ink you should run in it. Generally, I would say the ss21 for regular sign work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea febrian

Mostly i'm going to use it for photography printing, poster and wallpaper.

The dealer recommend BS4 ink, but when i ask for other type of ink, they seems not quite understand the differences.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
SS21 - Most Common Ink Type, Used For Making Outdoor Durable Signage, Good Scratch Resistance, Mild Solvent Based

ES3 - Less Common, Less Outdoor Durability, Less Scratch Resistance, More Environmentally Friendly, Used For Making Outdoor Signage but Lamination is recommended, Light Solvent Based

BS3 & BS4 - Mysterious solvent based ink that doesn't get sold in America. I know nothing of this ink other than it is a solvent based one.

You may want to check into a brand that is more known for photography and fine art prints. Solvent based inks are made for durability and do not have the same color gamut and quality as water based pigmented ink that you should be using for photography type stuff. Mimaki is a great brand but this is not their specialty. Epson, Cannon and HP are the brands I see most when it comes to photography.

Andrea febrian

SS21 - Most Common Ink Type, Used For Making Outdoor Durable Signage, Good Scratch Resistance, Mild Solvent Based

ES3 - Less Common, Less Outdoor Durability, Less Scratch Resistance, More Environmentally Friendly, Used For Making Outdoor Signage but Lamination is recommended, Light Solvent Based

BS3 & BS4 - Mysterious solvent based ink that doesn't get sold in America. I know nothing of this ink other than it is a solvent based one.

You may want to check into a brand that is more known for photography and fine art prints. Solvent based inks are made for durability and do not have the same color gamut and quality as water based pigmented ink that you should be using for photography type stuff. Mimaki is a great brand but this is not their specialty. Epson, Cannon and HP are the brands I see most when it comes to photography.

Thank you for your info.. really help me a lot.. and also in the future i will also invest on brand like Epson, canon or HP.
i also aware of solvent ink that its color quality and detail are below water based pigmented ink, but for now , because financial issue, i'll stick for mimaki, because it can handle 50:50 job for both indoor and outdoor print.

MikePro

ecosolvent ink is garbage. I mean, it works, BUT you're limiting yourself to materials available to print on.

dale911

President
I'm not sure what he is talking about. I run latex and eco-solvent and both have good and bad qualities but they both produce fantastic prints that are good for indoor and outdoor. I also have a UV printer that is broke more than it is operational and the print quality is decent but slow and can't be used on surfaces that have any stretch or much contour. There are a lot of options out there and each type tends to have a niche market that works well for it. To say it's garbage without backing up that statement is a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forty One

to revive a legacy thread....
Benefit over BS4 and ES3 inks?

All I can really tell is that the BS4 ink is available in bulk (600ml & 2 litre bottles) direct from mimaki.
Both come with the same quality specs

OSSrev1

Anyone willing to share knowledge, this is what I have so far.

Difference between Mimaki BS3 & BS4 Printer Inks

BS3

1. Solvent
2. Smell (high)
3. Drying (slow)
4. Ink head Warranty (3 year)
5. Premium Ink (claimed)

BS4.

1. Ecosolvent
2. Smell (low)
3. Drying (fast)
4. Ink head Warranty (none)