• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question minimum temperature for installing window perf?

netsol

one of our major clients wants us to start installing perf at client locations
(bear in mind i have never installed any & would be doing a wet install & although i learn quickly i will not be terribly good at it)
what is the minimum temp that we should be doing this at?
PERHAPS WE WILL LOOK TO HIRE A PART TIME INSTALLER

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just applied some Oracal 751 during a "heatwave" of 32 last week...appears to be doing OK a week later.

rjssigns

Window perf without laminate is the easiest material to install. It has built in air egress holes.;)
Laminated is more difficult and requires consistency of application.

And like UncleBun said, do not install wet.

As far as install temp I recently wrote about cold weather installs. Personally I like at least 50 degrees F. If that isn't an option then I heat the glass either from the back(single pane) or front(IG panels)

Dan360

If it's below 50, we make sure to add a disclaimer that we cannot guarantee it will adhere properly. That being said, I installed our storefront windows at around -3c (26f) and they were up for 4 years without issue before we decided to change them out. I've only ever had 1 window perf install fail due to what I think was temperature too low.

ProSignTN

JBurton, tell us about the beast. Seriously!, I'm getting calls from several schools about window perf. I've done a few, non-lam, and a few auto glass with lam. I sense a big difference in install enemies. Please elaborate.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I did a job in 25 F a few years back and some of the edges in the corners started lifting up... but it also could of been the glass felt oily.

MichelleK

one of our major clients wants us to start installing perf at client locations
(bear in mind i have never installed any & would be doing a wet install & although i learn quickly i will not be terribly good at it)
what is the minimum temp that we should be doing this at?
PERHAPS WE WILL LOOK TO HIRE A PART TIME INSTALLER
For best results, you'll need 50 degree temperatures for most window perf, however Continental Grafix has the the only window perf with specialty adhesive that can be installed in temperatures as low as 5 degrees. The face film is outdoor durable for 2+ years, no lamination. Echoing Unclebun and Rjssigns, definitely do not do a wet install and if not laminated, window perf is relatively easy to install. Be sure to leave an 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the window edge or frame and the material to allow for the natural expansion and contraction of the glass.

Attachments

• TDS_panoRama Innova Ice.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 112

DeadDoc

I've done printed perf both wet and dry, zero differences noticed other than liquid running down the window. One wet example is less than 500ft away so its easy to monitor it. I try and avoid going below 50F (for most applications) myself but I am also in a coastal region so moisture is also fun but 45 is my cutoff for quality sake. I'll be doing about 13 more windows with perf in the coming month or two.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Keep in mind if you stick it wet, make sure the temps are going to stay above freezing. Around here we can have 50° days, but it might drop to 20° at night. If there's still moisture trapped under the vinyl, you can have trouble.

20 years ago we stuck everything wet. We did a vehicle in the dead of winter in our nice warm heated shop. Had the vehicle in the bay overnight so it was nice and warm when stuck the vinyl. Customer drove it home that evening and it got below freezing. He came back the next day with little holes popped out of the vinyl from where the water still trapped underneath had frozen and broke thru the vinyl.