• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Minority Business Enterprise a factor in evaluating bids for city projects?

SignProPlus-Chip

OK, maybe someone else here can educate me a bit on this. We saw this while reading through the requirements for bidding on a job with the city. Does this mean if our bid is the same as a Woman or minority owed business they will favor them over us?

Attachments

• wtf.png
    wtf.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 98

WildWestDesigns

OK, maybe someone else here can educate me a bit on this. We saw this while reading through the requirements for bidding on a job with the city. Does this mean if our bid is the same as a Woman or minority owed business they will favor them over us?

It depends on if they meet the other criteria as well, but on it's face, if all is equal it certainly looks that way.

That's being hopeful though that they will look at the other criteria after they notice the women/minority is met.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also - someone can even have a HIGHER price than yours and still get the job over you simply because of their skin color or gender. We have lost jobs due to this also. :frustrated:

showcase 66

I have a couple of friends that have their wives as the owner of the company as they are also minorities according to the government just for these reasons.

Flame

I know people who have flat gotten RICH from this. Being a minority or a woman, or even better...BOTH, will land you government jobs very easily.

Pat Whatley

So you're saying that if I marry a black woman, with a child, who is a veteran injured in combat, we live in a housing project and she owns the business we're almost guaranteed to have Bill Gates kind of money in the next five years?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I know many do this. This can also backfire badly if they happen to get divorced and things are not amicable......

I have a couple of friends that have their wives as the owner of the company as they are also minorities according to the government just for these reasons.

SD&F

You must still meet all required criteria and if all is equal(or not) they will be looked at first and considered first. This is also for vetran owned businesses as well.

Big time. This happens to us all the time. We big on jobs come in at the best pricing. Get the job and then they decide that since were not minority or women owned they give the job to somebody else. Not just sign jobs. Construction, Traffic Control, etc. This is the biggest piece of BS I've have ever seen. Stupid. But if you are a white owned business your in luck. For 2012 they have predicted that the whites will have a lower birth rate then almost all minorities in the states. Thus making white people the minority. We are going to try and run as a minority owned business.
Especially because other companies not naming names. Are man owned for 20 years and then when a special contract goes out for bid they put their wives name as the owner of the company and get the job. I can't stand this ahhhhhhhh.....

So in other words if you see that on a bid sheet or something don't even bother bidding on the job.

Pat Whatley

It happens all the time, too. I've got a construction group I do work for that's made up of six companies all operating under the same umbrella. There's a woman owned company, an Indian owned company, a black owned company...whatever they need to get federal contracts. They've gone as far as paying part of the mortgage for one of their employees to buy a house in an impoverished district because they needed so show they were hiring from that district to get a contract with the local Air Force base. They've got a guy working there who's job is to figure out how to bid on jobs to their best advantage.

FatCat

It happens all the time, too. I've got a construction group I do work for that's made up of six companies all operating under the same umbrella. There's a woman owned company, an Indian owned company, a black owned company...whatever they need to get federal contracts. They've gone as far as paying part of the mortgage for one of their employees to buy a house in an impoverished district because they needed so show they were hiring from that district to get a contract with the local Air Force base. They've got a guy working there who's job is to figure out how to bid on jobs to their best advantage.

Sickening, and sad. I feel there was a time when this was necessary to level the playing field for women and minorities. However, I feel that time has looong passed.

SD&F

Pat, that is absolutely illegal and they are operating in a manner which would put them in prison and have extensive fines. You must submit your corporate paperwork to be certifed as one of these businesses. If they are doing that, then they must have a set of paperwork that is geared toward each particular minority. They must also provide tax imformation that should be getting checked. That is wrong and quite diasppointing for those of us who are ethical and try to do things the right way.

ucmj22

reverse racism

no such thing. I hate that phrase. if its racism, its racism. No such thing as "reverse" racism. And this really has nothing to do with racism anyway, not even bigotry. Its a simple Prejudice (and this situation barely fits that description).
P.S. I am against this preferential treatment, just hate the way "Racism" is thrown out there for everything.