• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Modified Acrylic faces..................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We did two 48" x 48" modified acrylic faces for a customer about a year ago using flatbed UV inks. We cleaned all the dirt off and then washed it down with 91% alcohol. Prints turned out great and the customer was happy..... up until about a week ago. Seems the ink is peeling and it looks like it's peeling in patches, like the size of a 50¢ piece. Also, much more on one side than the other. Other than contaminant, we're not sure what's causing this, but the customer is bringing the faces in Thursday for us to re-do.

We're gonna scrap off the rest of the ink, turn them over and re-print them. We generally don't have problems with acrylic or poly-carb peeling. Is there anything anyone can suggest to use as adhesive promoter ?? We have some promoter here, but it was bought for Cor-X products and we're not sure if it will do any good on acrylic, let alone possible do it harm. Any ideas ??

Other than printing onto translucent, we're 50/50 on doing it direct again.

:Oops:, but sorry, I don't have any pictures at this point for any reference.

:thankyou: Gino

Mosh

Print them on trans, you will at least sleep better at night. Re-doing something sucks, doing it a third time REALLY sucks.

skyhigh

That sucks when you can't put your finger on the cause of the problem. Good luck with the redo, and hope other jobs don't start popping up.

Typestries

Common problem with UV ink on acrylic actually. Good news is the ink scrapes right off!

Lam them after printing-just run the sheets through your laminator.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Common problem with UV ink on acrylic actually. Good news is the ink scrapes right off!

Lam them after printing-just run the sheets through your laminator.

Wow..... really ?? This is only the second one I can think of that we had this problem with in almost 5 years. The other one was customer supplied faces and we think it had some problems we didn't know about. Laminate it ?? hmmmm.... Jeremy mentioned that, but I was thinking of playing it safe and just printing to translucent and be done with it.

Asuma01

I would be skeched out printing on a used polycarb face. I mean if the customer insisted sure. But I dont think I would warranty it.