• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monitor?

Colin

I'm going to be purchasing an entire new computer sometime soon.
What might be the best "bang-for-the-buck" monitor out there?
(not the cheapest, but best value). 19"

*Any other advice for other components are welcome too, like video cards, RAM......whatever. Would like it to be fairly kick-ass in order to have it not be antiquated too soon. Dual core I would imagine(?)

I don't even know what the latest CPU speeds might be.

(no gaming; Sign business only).

Thanks

2NinerNiner2

Colin - When I bought my new system in Nov. 2004 to run the SP-300 I ended up getting the best deal on a 19" LCD at, of all places, the Radio Shack store just down the street from me in Old Quebec City! An Acer AL1912 that has performed flawlessly since and is very easy on the eyes with excellent focus and colour. I haven't been following the prices of late, but back then, 649.99 with a 75.00 rebate was a good deal!

However, if I were to be looking for a new system or major components now, after the announcement and availability made public this past Wed. by Apple regarding 'Boot Camp', their dual-boot application for the new Intel Core Duo Macs, I would be getting the new 20" Intel-based iMac! I was looking at the 20" iMac that Nov. and was planning to run ColoRIP in Virtual PC on it. I did by a 14" iBook at that time (I NEEDED my Mac "fix"! :) and successfully ran the VersaCAMM through ColoRIP running in VPC on it, but it was too slow for a production environment. Now, with this 'surprise' development, you are able to run Win XP natively on the Intel Macs! That's the setup I'm saving up for! :)

Here is the link: http://www.apple.com/ca/macosx/bootcamp/

Last edited:

Chad.

newegg.com ... they have just about any monitor under the sun. Read the reviews ... and the prices in most cases are way less than buying in a local store ...

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
My trusted 21" finally tanked on me last week. I had to rush out and replace it quickly. I ended up getting a 19" widescreen from walmart for $250. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but was very surprised at the quality. The widescreen is great too.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If you get a 19" monitor, get a CRT based unit. Nearly all 19" LCD flat panel monitors are limited to a 1280 X 1024 native resolution. That's a non starter for me. I completely refuse to use a 4:3 ratio monitor that displays anything less than 1600 X 1200 natively. In the LCD camp, you have to choose a 20" model to support that resolution.

Widescreen monitors have also seen serious price drops. Dell's 24" widescreen monitor (1920 X 1200) runs about $1000. Their 20" widescreen model (1680 X 1050) sells for under $600. Their 20" 4:3 ratio unit (1600 X 1200) sells for under $500. Those are prices from just one vendor. There's lots of other deals out there.

EndlessOptions

www.deals2buy.com

Check Dell Deals. This one has a free 19" LCD flat panel. I bought mine here with the same monitor and love it. I don't think you will be able to beat this deal.

Dell Dimension E310 Pentium 4 HT, 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB, 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability , 19" Flat Panel (LCD), Dell A215 Speakers, 1yr At-Home Warranty » for $611.40 at Dell.com

List Price: NA Exp: 04/13/2006 6am CST
The Dimension E310 is an entry-level multimedia PC that balances price and performance, delivering the power you need to help stay productive and stay connected, without a heavy impact on your wallet.
Click here to go to Dell Home & Home Office
Price shows $499 after instant discounts
Select Memory to "1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -2DIMMs [add $33"
Select Hard Drive to "160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) [add $33"
Select CD or DVD Drive to "Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability [add $26"
Select Monitor to "19 inch E196FP Analog Flat Panel [add $79"
then keep continue and add to cart for $1019
At Checkout apply 40% off $999 or more Coupon Code : BXPLJ0WM7JBD2W (Exp 04/13/2006 6am CST or 4k uses)
Final Price : $1019- 40% = $611.40 + Free Shipping + No Tax in most states

Cadmn

tiger had dual core AMD 643200 with SATA 160 HD &1 gig ram the other dayfor $399
I'd go for it wife has ghans 19"LCD & its NICE I got 21"crt

2NinerNiner2

Colin ... picture it ... 2006 ... Saanich Peninsula... Colin at his gorgeous 20" iMac running Adobe CS in Win Xp ... :)

Last edited:

jayhawksigns

Cadmn said:
tiger had dual core AMD 643200 with SATA 160 HD &1 gig ram the other dayfor $399
I'd go for it wife has ghans 19"LCD & its NICE I got 21"crt

You might of mistyped but AMD doesn't make a Dual Core 3200 model.

Colin

Bobby H said:
If you get a 19" monitor, get a CRT based unit. Nearly all 19" LCD flat panel monitors are limited to a 1280 X 1024 native resolution. That's a non starter for me. I completely refuse to use a 4:3 ratio monitor that displays anything less than 1600 X 1200 natively. In the LCD camp, you have to choose a 20" model to support that resolution.

Widescreen monitors have also seen serious price drops. Dell's 24" widescreen monitor (1920 X 1200) runs about $1000. Their 20" widescreen model (1680 X 1050) sells for under $600. Their 20" 4:3 ratio unit (1600 X 1200) sells for under $500. Those are prices from just one vendor. There's lots of other deals out there.

Thanks all. Bobby: I do have a 19" CRT (Panasonic SL90) that's about 7 years old and I'll be retiring it into the house for my wife. (no computer in house right now).

Could you explain for me what is the down side of 1280x1024 native?
Could you clarify "native" for us all? I kinda know what it means, but pretend that I just fell off a potato truck.

WIDESCREEN: I know nothing about this. How does software like my sign program, CorelDraw, the web, etc, appear on a widescreen format?

(Due to a scanner on one side, and a laser printer on the other, I have limited desk space; can't move 'em).

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Colin said:
Could you explain for me what is the down side of 1280x1024 native?
Could you clarify "native" for us all?
Sure.

First, the downside to using 1280 X 1024 or lower resolution settings is you run out of workspace quickly with some applications. Toolbars, palettes and other user interface stuff require a fixed number of pixels to display. When you work at lower resolution workspaces like 1280 X 1024 or 1024 X 768 those toolbars and palettes will use up a higher percentage of your screen real estate. At resolutions of 1600 X 1200 or better, the toolbars and such appear smaller, use up a lower percentage of screen real estate and leave you with more room to see your artwork.

Next, the term "native" is critical for any flat panel display, whether it is a computer monitor or even a HDTV set. All such displays have a fixed pixel grid. It does not scale at all, unlike a CRT-based display.

A CRT monitor can adjust its settings for many different screen settings and still look great since the CRT gun itself is painting the pixels onto the screen.

LCD and plasma monitors have pixels that are physically constructed into the display. You can try to run a 19" LCD monitor at 1600 X 1200, but you will really never see anymore than 1280 X 1024 pixels displayed on it. On top of that, running the monitor at a non-native setting will show all sorts of odd, bad looking problems. Type and photo imagery will look wierd and you may not even be able to read the type on some toolbars, such as the intricate ones in Photoshop and InDesign.

Onto Widescreen monitors.

CorelDRAW, various sign making applications and just about anything else will run fine on a wide aspect ratio screen. Some widescreen monitors have the ability to rotate into "portrait" mode. That can be very cool. On a 24" Dell monitor, you could display a legal sized paper layout and see every detail clearly.

The only areas where you can run into trouble with widescreen monitors is with some older video games. Some of them may not support wide aspect ratio views very well.

Multiple monitors is another issue. That's where some programs may or may not play nicely with your computer system.

Colin

Woah, thanks Bobby.....you da man!

I don't know if I'm stuck in a rut, but I'seem to be happy with 1024x768 on my 19" CRT. 800x600 sure looks lame, but maybe I'd feel the same about 1024 if I tried a higher res for a while. ???

I guess I'll just see what's what when I get to the stores.

Thanks a bunch!

jayhawksigns

I have progressed to higher resolutions over the years, and it was somewhat tied to the size of the monitor we had at the time.

Back in '96 we were using a 15" CRT and I know I was running at 800x600. Now I run 1280x1024 at work on 2 19" CRTs. The higher resolution doesn't gain me anything, other than giving me smaller icons for my already bad eyesight to have to make out. Looking forward to nabbing 2 widescreen LCDs later this year, interesting to see what that brings.

2NinerNiner2

Haven't tried this on the PC yet, but the best setup I ever used was a dual monitor installation I got for my Mac II, back in 1988!!! A 21" CRT (damn, that thing was HEAVY!) for the main view - the working area only displayed - and a 13" Apple Colour monitor off to the side where I set up all the tool palettes. Sure was nice not to have to peek around or continually move the palettes to see the work. Anyone here use a multiple monitor installation on Win XP?

jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns said:
Now I run 1280x1024 at work on 2 19" CRTs.
Dual monitors are great, I think that expression on customers faces when they realize I am actually using both monitors is almost better then the enjoyment I get from using both of them.

Colin

BTW: My present CRT is starting to do something funny. Every once in a while it will give an audible "click" sound and the image will get squished a bit and the sides will go black (1"). Is this a classic sign that it's on it's way out?

cdsgraphic

Dual monitors are the best... I have my work station set up with two 21" crt's that run at 1600x1200. but I also have one of the crt's (and mouse and kb) hooked in to a 4-way kvm for the three pc's that sit under my desk.