• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MORE networking issues

Flame

So had to replace my RIP 'puter today, and start from scratch on my networking again. Can't do it. They won't connect, they won't talk. 3 hours down and nothing. I have both computers plugged into a router, I set up a network, they have the same subnet mask and similiar IP addresses. BUT THEY WON'T TALK.

ANY clues guys? I'm getting peeved.

SignsRus

I'll assume everything is on Windows XP

Check what 'workgroup' all the computers are setup on

- Right click on 'My Computer'
- Goto 'Properties'
- Goto 'Computer Name' tab

Here you can view the 'workgroup', and also edit the computer name/workgroup.

Setup all the computers on the same 'workgroup' to begin.

If after doing so your still having issues (be sure to reboot before you complain of more issues =p)

Then try turning off the windows firewall on each computer. Yes you will be able to use the exception for file sharing on the firewall, but this is just to find the problem for now

Also are all the PC's setup to obtain ip's automatically, or are you putting them in?

TresL

Check for a firewall on the PC's.
Can you 'PING' each PC?

To shut down the standard windows firewall type the following from a DOS prompt: net stop sharedaccess

Flame

Firewalls are off. On one computer I have 2 choices, Local Area Connectio and Local Area Connection 2. WTH? Which one do I choose?

And the other computer (RIP station) I have 2 to choose from as well. Local Area Connection 4 (WHAT? 4???) and 1394 connection (never heard of that?).

I guess for starters, which connection is the one I want????

Flame

No clue what I did... but I got my RIP station to talk to my Design station, and one folder up and running, talking back and forth etc.

By golly do I HATE networks.

SignsRus

Firewalls are off. On one computer I have 2 choices, Local Area Connectio and Local Area Connection 2. WTH? Which one do I choose?

And the other computer (RIP station) I have 2 to choose from as well. Local Area Connection 4 (WHAT? 4???) and 1394 connection (never heard of that?).

I guess for starters, which connection is the one I want????

1394 is a firewire connection. Do not worry about this connection!

If you have more then 1 local area connection it could be because you have more then 1 ethernet port on your PC, or you've created an additional LAC by adding a new network.

If you do this

- Click 'Start'
- Click 'Run'
- Type 'cmd'
- Hit Enter
*NEW WINDOW OPENS*
- Type 'ipconfig'
- Hit Enter

This will tell you which area connection is getting what information. Will display ip address/subnet/gateway/etc

SignsRus

Next time your having an issue like this just pm me or something. Could have easily logged in via remote desktop or www.logmein.com and taken care of the problem in a few mins while you enjoyed a cold one =P

Glad you got it working

<3

Flame

I don't connect my work computers to the internet, so couldn't have done that, but I'll try PMing you next time. Thanks for your help, no clue what I did but I got it working. :p

Jakob77

I don't connect my work computers to the internet, so couldn't have done that, but I'll try PMing you next time. Thanks for your help, no clue what I did but I got it working. :p

Okay, say someone emails you a piece of artwork or you download a font. How exactly do you move that stuff from your internet computer to your 'work' computers? USB stick for everything?

Just curious how you deal with that.:help:

Mark

Flame

Okay, say someone emails you a piece of artwork or you download a font. How exactly do you move that stuff from your internet computer to your 'work' computers? USB stick for everything?

Just curious how you deal with that.:help:

Mark

High speed USB stick. Will download any file that comes through an e-mail within a second. Just plug in , download, then unplug, move over 1 foot and plug into my USB hub and I'm good to go.

I've had to wipe my laptop clean a few times from viruses, don't want that to happen with my work computers.

weaselboogie

Man, I hate networking too. You can get everything set up correctly and things wont work until you PING them. My biggest pet peeve is when they just lose connection for the hell of it. I ended up buying Network magic and it will sync up everything for you. I'm somewhat computer savy except when it comes to networking. There's so many things that can go wrong especially when you're running firewalls on all comps.

cdiesel

I feel ya Flamey.. I'm pretty computer savvy, but when it comes to networking, I gotta call someone like Techman! Luckily, I was referred to a local guy by one of my customers who was able to solve all of our networking issues in literally ten minutes.
We're moving into our new shop in about a month, and thank god I don't have to mess with any of that stuff!

Service Sign Co

Networking is simple map network drive \\computer name\folder,printer
its the backslash key above the enter key. of course they have to be the same workgroup & client for microsoft network and have a computer name

weaselboogie

Networking is simple map network drive \\computer name\folder,printer
its the backslash key above the enter key. of course they have to be the same workgroup & client for microsoft network and have a computer name

Of course MAPPING a network drive is a piece of cake. But, we're not talking about that. That's not the subject.