• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

motorhome graphics..any tips?

Velocity955

I have a customer that wants me to remove and replace the graphics on his 35' fiberglass motorhome. The manufacturer does not offer replacement graphics, so I plan on cutting new graphics the same shape as the old (just slightly larger to cover ghost lines). I have never done a job this large before, so was looking for any advise on the best solvent and technique to remove this quantity of vinyl, what material would work best and any tips on installing. I was thinking orocal 651 or 751. any thoughts? thanks to all!!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Questionable hours of vinyl removal, paint pull up, Adhesive removal nightmare, ghosting, chalked paint that won't prep properly, New graphic that may not match even if you make them larger. Grumpy old fart looking for a bubble? ...

SolitaryT

Seems scary to me, too, buddy, unless by "motorhome" you mean "VW bus" owned by some hippie kid who wants a dead-head or a pot leaf or something...

Velocity955

C'mon guys wheres your confidence? Bare your sword and charge into the face of battle!!! o.k, maybe i've been watching to many Mel Gibson movies. how about suggestions on the best vinyl removing solvent you have used?

Rydaddy

Only possible way to do this is to have him agree to being charged by the hour for removal. Also a sign-off on the potential problems stated above. So essentially your customer would have to decide how badly they want their graphics changed. Maybe he really wants it done. Treat it as two different transactions all-together.

For what you will end up charging him for this, use premium vinyl.

Jillbeans

Do try to avoid this job. It's a thankless task.
The only way the client will "get" the amount of work you will have to do is to charge him by the hour.
He will probably indeed be a picky old fart.
I think, if forced, and if the graphics were removed (use Rapid Remover) I would use the ghost lines and tape the sucka off, then paint it by hand.
Love....Jill

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
As above. Charge by the hour for removal. Remove with a heat gun and torch.
Rapid Remover or Glue Off on the adhesive.

Take your best guess on the time to remove, increase by 50%-100%, because that is what it WILL take, give him / her the estimate for removal alone. Do not stand between them and the door or you will be run over.

visual800

DO NOT DO THIS JOB, do not accept this job. I have done a partial and never again! and that was WITH replacement striping! getting the old off was worse than reflective. i dont know what the hell happened but I wont touch another one

Velocity955

wow, o.k, I think I am convinced now. Great idea on painting the graphics in tho Jill, about 80% of my business is auto paint. But that still leaves the problem of removal and that is the unknown. i estimated 16 hours of removal time. i thought I was leaving some room, but know that these kinds of things can go "south" easily. I was going to enlist some "cheap" labor to help with removal, but maybe I will re think this thing. Thanks to all on your advise. MUCH appreciated!!!

CheapVehicleWrap

Questionable hours of vinyl removal, paint pull up, Adhesive removal nightmare, ghosting, chalked paint that won't prep properly, New graphic that may not match even if you make them larger. Grumpy old fart looking for a bubble? ...

AND.. these ^ are the PLUSES.

ucmj22

I actually did this before. It took me about an hour - 90 min to take pictures and measurements, another 2 to create all of the shapes and swoops to size, and the customer wanted to save money by doing the removal and application themself, so I just printed on Arlon wrap with over-lam and netted about $500

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
do not do this job, do not accept this job. I have done a partial and never again! And that was with replacement striping! Getting the old off was worse than reflective. I dont know what the hell happened but i wont touch another one

x100

BobM

Patience, heat gun, $50 Walmart wallpaper steamer, a gross of plastic razor blades, rolls and rolls of the cheapest paper towels (not printed ones), Rapid Remove to get the glue off, Rapid Prep to clean the surface with and Rapid Tac II to help with the application, a shady spot and endless hours of sucking it up and just doing it. Understand that a motorhome owner is one fussy bastard and the littlest bubble or speck of dust will make him crazy. Other than that, no problem and best of luck with the one job you will probably never forget, or want to remember.

Border

I would first take photos & measurements to duplicate the old stripes as best as possible.
Make him sign off that it may not be "exact" but you will do your very best to line them all up.
Convince the owner to bring the RV to a trucking/body shop to handle the removal and buffing/clean up work and then they bring it back to you all prepped for installation of the new stuff.
Let the body shop argue with him about the removal & clean-up bill.

PS...DON'T hire cheap labor to remove it! They will end up doing more damage which will cost YOU!

smdgrfx

I do shuttle bus graphics all the time. Just charge accordingly. If you use the right equipment for removal. It is not easy. I'm guessing that is why so many people are telling you to run. It takes my and my production guy maybe 3-5 hours to get a complete RV/Bus cleaned off (6-10 man hours - depends on graphics really). Takes maybe 3-4 hours to print/laminate/cut and usually about 3-4 hours for complete installation. I did one last week from beginning to end - about 12 hours. We usually charge about the same for removal as we do for the graphics package/installation. It all works out.

For removal - heat gun /patience/lil chizler
For adhesive removal/cleanup - adhesive remover/lil chizler/blue shop towels
Final clean with application fluid

We usually print with IJ35 or IJ180 and laminate with Oracal 210 or 215 or 3M 8519. Depends on application. It would be quicker with just Oracal 751, but we like the grey backer on printed vinyl. And customers like the "thick" vinyl. They think it is better.

Velocity955

Thanks SMDGRFX, I think I am in the ballpark with removal/ cleanup time, but actually liking the idea of painting the graphics on now. BTW, are you a sportbike/ track guy or just liked the pic?