• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting acrylic to brick wall options

K Chez

I have a project where I need to mount a routed shape (in this case a paw print about 15" x 14") to a brick wall. The obvious choice is to drill into the brick but was wondering if there is an adhesive solution that would be durable long term.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You mention acrylic and that it's 15"x14" but you don't mention how thick it is - that's going to influence what you use.

Stud-mounting would be the best option.

If they don't want a lot of penetrations, drill and tap for one stud at the top and use tape and Lexel on the rest.

Not sure what 'sign grade silicone' is, but silicone doesn't adhere well to bare acrylic. Spend the few extra bucks for Lexel (available at Lowe's).

bannertime

Not sure what 'sign grade silicone' is, but silicone doesn't adhere well to bare acrylic. Spend the few extra bucks for Lexel (available at Lowe's).

I was going to assume they meant GE Silicone II because I've never seen a tube of silicone say anything about signs. I just Googled for the heck of it, and there is a "sign supply" that sells their own branded silicone. o_O

rossmosh

acrylicmounting.jpg

Robbie Moore

I have a project where I need to mount a routed shape (in this case a paw print about 15" x 14") to a brick wall. The obvious choice is to drill into the brick but was wondering if there is an adhesive solution that would be durable long term.
2 sided vhb tape and globs of silicone.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I wish people would stop recommending silicone for acrylic. It's adhesion to bare acrylic is nothing to write home about.

DerbyCitySignGuy

It'll fail

No, it won't. The right adhesive plus VHB will work just fine and last for years. Moze is right about silicone, but even silicone will work for interior installations.

Lexel, PowerGrab, Gripfill, and most other construction adhesives will work just fine as long as they're rated for plastics and concrete.

ams

No, it won't. The right adhesive plus VHB will work just fine and last for years. Moze is right about silicone, but even silicone will work for interior installations.

Lexel, PowerGrab, Gripfill, and most other construction adhesives will work just fine as long as they're rated for plastics and concrete.

You think Acrylic is going to sit perfectly flat on this brick?

R10961_image1.jpg

DerbyCitySignGuy

You think Acrylic is going to sit perfectly flat on this brick?

View attachment 136421

Is that the only type of brick wall that exists?

You don't own a level?

[Edit: I'd bet dollars to donuts it's going on a flat brick wall, probably in a school or university.]

[Edit 2: Will stand offs look better? Yes. Is it the only solution, or even the most cost effective solution? No.]

ams

Is that the only type of brick wall that exists?

You don't own a level?

[Edit: I'd bet dollars to donuts it's going on a flat brick wall, probably in a school or university.]

[Edit 2: Will stand offs look better? Yes. Is it the only solution, or even the most cost effective solution? No.]

I am just suggesting not to do it that way, if they want to and it falls off later that's on them. I would rather turn down the job than to do that.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I am just suggesting not to do it that way, if they want to and it falls off later that's on them. I would rather turn down the job than to do that.

That's your prerogative, but if you honestly think that construction adhesive and VHB won't hold a tiny piece of acrylic to a brick wall, I'm not sure what to you tell you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is/are no replacements for physical fasteners........ hidden, stand-off or whatever. Any adhesive or double sided tape can come loose for any number of reasons. Other than a hurricane or earthquake, the physical fasteners have a far better chance of not having something land on some unsuspecting pedestrian.

The question isn't whether something will hold OR not, but if it doesn't, the consequences you'll pay for not making sure no one is ever hurt from YOUR installation.

Santimus

Signmart here in Southern California sells "HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE FOR THE SIGN INDUSTRY" and we have never had a problem with it adhering to acrylic.
I would still try to convince my customer against it though since it is being mounted onto bricks.

Attachments

• 20180905_100859[1].jpg
    20180905_100859[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 267

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Signmart here in Southern California sells "HIGH PERFORMANCE SILICONE FOR THE SIGN INDUSTRY" and we have never had a problem with it adhering to acrylic.
I would still try to convince my customer against it though since it is being mounted onto bricks.

I'm curious what additive that has that makes it adhere to plastics/acrylic. Your typical neutral-cure or acid (acetoxy)-cure silicones on smooth, unfinished acrylic can usually be peeled off pretty easily. It doesn't mean a sign installed with it will fall down, but it doesn't guarantee that it won't. If his sign is 1/2" thick, there's no way I'd trust silicone. I'd even be leery if it was 1/4". Lexel welds/etches itself into acrylic and is well worth the peace of mind.