• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mounting plastic letters to glass block?

slappy

How? This is going to be outside.... i'm not sure which way to go with this.

Stud or adhesive? Both.....

Anyone ever do this before?

slappy

i'm sorry... i should have said something on that..

maybe mount them in the grout lines?? The glass block is stacked 4 tall. Just regular 6x6" blocks....

Circleville Signs

Drilling into glass would make me SUPER nervous. I think I'd pad mount with silicone, and make the client aware that I may need to come out every year or two to re-mount letters :)

CanuckSigns

Drilling into glass would make me SUPER nervous. I think I'd pad mount with silicone, and make the client aware that I may need to come out every year or two to re-mount letters :)

I'm curious why you think mounting with silicone would fail after only 2 years? we have had many successful installations this way that have lasted much longer than that, the only reason we have to redo them is due to theft.

MikePro

hogwash, VHB tape plus silicone is plenty.

only issue i've ever had with silicone is trying to flush-mount.... you need a good 1/8" gap between or the silicone will spread too thin. which is why i love VHB tape, its pretty thick and allows for such a gap AND it holds pretty darn well on its own anyways.

Circleville Signs

I was simply referring to the bonding to the glass....And if it's the type of glass block I'm thinking it is, there is not a smooth surface...

slappy

what about temperature change with the VHB tape and silicone. It could reach high of 95 and down to -15 here.....

slappy

so i got a quote today from Gemini for 1/2" thick acrylic letters with d/f tape, what kind of silicone/adhesive???

Also, is the d/f tape that they use safe for glass block? Where does the silicone go since there is d/f tape on them?

Sorry, but this is my first experience with sign letters and installing them....

Last edited:

slappy

so gemini referrred me to IPS Corp (IPS® Corporation is a leading manufacturer of solvent cements, primers, assembly adhesives, structural adhesives, and numerous components and supplies for ...)

and they do not make a silicone or adhesive to cure to glass.....

so:help:help:help:help

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

J Hill Designs

IPS makes weld-on -- an acrylic to acrylic cement...just get some GE1200 silicone (gemini sells it, but so do most paint/hardware stores

slappy

IPS makes weld-on -- an acrylic to acrylic cement...just get some GE1200 silicone (gemini sells it, but so do most paint/hardware stores

the lady from IPS told me that they have nothing to work with glass though ... or is this GE1200 silicone from someone else??

MikePro

tabs of thick double-sided tape (thickness is KEY), VHB thickness being a minimum. And smears/dabs of 100% silicone caulk between the tabs.
If you use thin double-sided tape, you spread the silicone too thin and its worthless.

Custom_Grafx

tabs of thick double-sided tape (thickness is KEY), VHB thickness being a minimum. And smears/dabs of 100% silicone caulk between the tabs.
If you use thin double-sided tape, you spread the silicone too thin and its worthless.

+1 to this... to all of it.

VHB is good. And use the real $tuff.

visual800

silicone is best answer! and will last as long as no one messes with them. I would be drilling into any glass and your chances of hiting a groutline is ZERO! pad mount with silicome and clean glass with alcohol before attahing