• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting PVC to glass... what adhesives should I use?

Aklaim

We have a monument project that requires us to mount some PVC pieces to a glass panel, and I've never had to do that before so I'm at a complete loss on what to use to adhere it with. They are exterior panels mounted with locking standoffs, that need to be able to withstand the elements. Any suggestions on what I should be using? You can't see behind them, so whatever it looks like behind doesn't matter, just need something that will hold and last. Thanks in advance!

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
My first thought would be to use 3M VHB tape, but you'd need to get the right one since some are made for different applications. I would contact Thomco https://www.thomco.biz/ or a 3M industrial products dealer in your area. Thomco has been great for advice about what adhesive to use when I have questions. Good Luck

MikePro

acrylic to glass? best surfaces you could hope-for.

I'm a big fan of the 3M 5952VHB tape for large pieces, but if I want smaller fine-detailed letters/logos to not have the thick grey foam pad showing then I go with a thinner clear tape like the 9473.

also consider for glassmounting, some vinyl to cover the backside of the glass if your adhesives would be visible after install.

J Hill Designs

acrylic to glass? best surfaces you could hope-for.

I'm a big fan of the 3M 5952VHB tape for large pieces, but if I want smaller fine-detailed letters/logos to not have the thick grey foam pad showing then I go with a thinner clear tape like the 9473.

also consider for glassmounting, some vinyl to cover the backside of the glass if your adhesives would be visible after install.

PVC to glass, so the expansion coefficients will be a bit different

MikePro

whoops, acrylic on the brain.
the 5952 will do for PVC/glass, which I'll usually supplement with 100% silicone & add vinyl backer to reverse-side of glass to hide my gobbly-goobers from sight.

Aklaim

Thanks for all of the input everyone. We ended up going with 5952 VHB and Lexel. I'll post pics of the finished monuments after they are up.

Brink

Why instead of letting the pvc panels fall in the floor of course. :) Silicone will adhere very well to both glass and pvc. Unless I didn't understand what was being asked. I though he was talking about mounting small PVC panels on standoffs to a glass monument.

J Hill Designs

Why instead of letting the pvc panels fall in the floor of course. :) Silicone will adhere very well to both glass and pvc. Unless I didn't understand what was being asked. I though he was talking about mounting small PVC panels on standoffs to a glass monument.

I will assume, then, that you meant silicone adhesive.
Lexel is better :thumb:

MikePro

lexel vs. silicone rubber, in this case, doesn't really matter when paired with vhb tape.
lexel is stronger, silicone is cheaper. VHB will hold it up just fine on its own, but paired with a flexible adhesive/caulk just makes it that much better & long-lasting.