• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving an SP-540 with bulk ink system

ChiknNutz

Looks like we'll be moving to a new place at the end of next month. Anyone ever have to move their printer like this, when you have a bulk ink system attached? Just wondering what all I need to do to minimze downtime and to ensure I don't mess up anything in the process. Thank you!

SignManiac

I moved mine six months ago. We just rolled it onto the trailer with everything else and drove carefully 6 miles to the new location. Plugged it in and everything was fine. I didn't have a bulk ink system though. Not sure why that would make a difference.

ChiknNutz

It just might prove challenging to physically move with the bulk ink system attached...it's on a stand and the lines go from the ink tanks over to dummy carts in the printer. Could be done I s'pose, just have to do it very gingerly. There are clamps on the lines to pinch them off at the tanks, but I'm concerned about introducing air into the lines...that's my main worry here, though maybe not a big issue, I dunno?

Flame

Try putting it into a covered trailer, and having someone ride in the trailer with it, to make sure it's ok. That is if you're only moving a short distance. If you're moving a long ways.... well......... pack it with a LOT of foam padding!!!

high impact

Congrats on moving - I hope this is good as I know you've been working out of a shop on your property. Is this a 5,000 square foot retail space on a busy corner and your also now thinking of franchising? ;-)

When we moved my sp300v about 15 miles my dealer told me to drain and flush the lines...so we did. No big deal and refilled and started printing with no problem. I also am running mld triangle ink with bulk system but my bulk tanks are attached to my printer.

As already mentioned and I'm sure you know - don't forget to lock the head down with the clamp.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

high impact

IMO - If you have someone ride with that thing in a trailer AND it does move or fall over be ready for a heck of a hospital bill as well as repair bill...

ChiknNutz

Congrats on moving - I hope this is good as I know you've been working out of a shop on your property. Is this a 5,000 square foot retail space on a busy corner and your also now thinking of franchising? ;-)

When we moved my sp300v about 15 miles my dealer told me to drain and flush the lines...so we did. No big deal and refilled and started printing with no problem. I also am running mld triangle ink with bulk system but my bulk tanks are attached to my printer.

As already mentioned and I'm sure you know - don't forget to lock the head down with the clamp.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

Not quite...but moving to another home-based location with almost 2X our current shop space with large roll-up doors and on 5 acres. Franchising is just around the corner :tongue:

The manufacturer prescribed method is to flush the inks and lock the head or carriage. Short distances should not be a problem if the head is locked and the inks secured well.

javila

I've heard that in the service manuals there's a procedure to move the printer without flushing the lines. Targeted for show expo distributors.

cdiesel

When we sold our sp300, we just locked the head into place and sent it on its way. It wasn't turned on for about 2 weeks, and when they did, I walked them through a head cleaning over the phone and they were on their way. Of course, it didn't have the bulk ink system. Here's what I would do:

Remove the dummy carts and insert cleaning carts. When you're moved, power everything back up and run a few cleanings or use a syrenge on the drain bottle line to pull some ink through.

D

DARLAK

throw it in the trailer and get on down the road.... everything will be fine...i just moved three printers, didn't do anything except make sure they didn't fall over!

high impact

Getting ready to move mine to my new shop and I don't know what a clamp thing is. Could someone please enlighten me?

There is a blue clamp that comes with the printer to lock the head. On the versacamm you attach it onto the rear of the printer for safekeeping. When you move the printer your reuse it to lock the head to keep it from moving.

Charlie J

oh by the way...in case anyone else is moving their printer, i didnt worry about locking the print head I just did what darklak said to do in post 15