• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multi layered lamination = better UV protection?

TXFB.INS

it is Friday and with nothing better to do at the moment need some input for the current shop debate.

improving UV protection for printed vinyls.

the proposed theory is if you take the print and add multiple layers of UV lamination, in this case Oracal 290, that will improve the longevity of the prints as you are adding more UV layers on protection as compared to just using thicker lamination material, say the motocross/ATV 10 mil.

anyone tried this theory before and/or what were the results?

Christian @ 2CT Media

It just sounds like more failure points.... There are some super long UV lams out there, if you are truly concerned there are UV Epoxys that are 15+ years.

Last edited:

Salmoneye

I would think that the extra thickness would and layer of adhesive would cause more failure from expansion/contraction etc. Might not fade but it would probably be more likely to fail.

rjssigns

For the best UV/overall protection use one of the latest automotive clear coats. I have "buried" laminated prints in automotive clear with great results. Even converted vinyl with a multi-stage process using high image clear.