• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Must be copyright issue day!

CES020

We took a pdf file for our plotter to Kinkos to have printed and bound. They provide the file in pdf format, no hard copies available.

The guy at Kinko's opened the file and would not print it without my guy signing a "hold harmless" agreement. He didn't sign it because he didn't know enough about it to sign it. He did explain to the guy it was for a piece of equipment we purchased and that they supplied the file with the machine.

Nope, not having it.

Went to the next Kinko's up the street, they opened it, said "come back in 15 minutes, it'll be done".

I've had plenty of manuals printed at Kinko's over the years. Never once have I been asked to sign a "hold harmless" agreement.

If suppliers are going to stop printing manuals or offering hard copies, what choice do we have, but to have it printed ourselves.

So, okay to print manuals for machinery we bought, or have we clearly crossed into the dark underbelly of thievery?

Pat Whatley

Kinko's is just covering their ass. They'll print it for you...they just want to make sure that you're accepting responsibility for acquiring permission to have the file printed.

Sign it (heck, sign it with a fake name if you want) and get it printed.

MikePro

We've recently adapted Hold Harmless Agreements, as well.
Nothing against any clients or their files, but you never know what might come to bite you in the ass.

its like having "no lifeguard on duty" signs installed at a hotel hot tub. Chances are no one is going to drown in 3ft of water, but the hotel needs to cover themselves legally just in case something does happen.

WildWestDesigns

My mom did a digital painting for one of her friends and he was going to have it printed even bigger for his wife's bday present. Well this was when my mom started signing her work and Kinkos here actually had to talk to her to get it done and show identification. I think that was a little overboard, but that's what happens when things get sue happy.

CES020

Sign it (heck, sign it with a fake name if you want) and get it printed.

Didn't have to, took it to another Kinko's and no questions asked, they took it and printed it. In fact, he's on the way to pick it up now.

I thought "hold harmless" agreements didn't mean anything in court. It's been discussed many times here. People come on asking for the wording so they can remove their liability. In general, people that ask for that are torn apart and told they can't do anything to stop from being liable, other than to do their research and make sure the people that are asking for things have the authority to have the product printed.

So if I print Harley Davidson signs galore and I have the moron that orders it sign a "hold harmless" agreement, then I'm good, right? (I don't think that's the case)