• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh 1304

Ppcwilly

IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3514.JPG
I recently got a used 1304 to upgrade from my 1204 in order to print 54" media.
I have replaced the T-fence ,Printhead, MS . Also have thoroughly cleaned the encoder and raceway bearings.
I am getting lines in the print that show up on all colors but are more evident when printing black.
Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks
Bill

Ppcwilly

The nozzle checks look good on all colors. I have the service manual can you give me the specific section you are referring to for head alignments. Just want to make sure. Thanks
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It almost looks like a material issues when the ink gets more saturated. Have you tried other materials? Does this same material print fine on your 1204?

Ppcwilly

It almost looks like a material issues when the ink gets more saturated. Have you tried other materials? Does this same material print fine on your 1204?
I tried some 3651 and Some fellers vinyl, same results. These substrates printed on my 1204. After the alignment of the head it printed a little better. Printing at 720x720 8 pass with high ink flow it looks better, but you can still see the vertical lines or shapes? Could it be the board or the belt? I thought about putting my working boards from the 1204 in to see if that would work? My 1204 came with an extra board that works, could it be reprogrammed to work in the 1304 if the board is bad? Thanks a lot for your input.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I tried some 3651 and Some fellers vinyl, same results. These substrates printed on my 1204. After the alignment of the head it printed a little better. Printing at 720x720 8 pass with high ink flow it looks better, but you can still see the vertical lines or shapes? Could it be the board or the belt? I thought about putting my working boards from the 1204 in to see if that would work? My 1204 came with an extra board that works, could it be reprogrammed to work in the 1304 if the board is bad? Thanks a lot for your input.

I know it sounds stupid but, did you take the protective liner off the encoder strip before installing it? If you did or used a generic one that didn't have the protective liner, I would start thinking about the encoder sensor. You can air dust it to get rid of all the dust build up and that could fix the issue but it may need to be replaced as well. But that's just a guess. It looks similar to encoder issues but I have never seen this pattern before and I work on a lot of machines!

Ppcwilly

I know it sounds stupid but, did you take the protective liner off the encoder strip before installing it? If you did you used a generic one that didn't have the protective liner, I would start thinking about the encoder sensor. You can air dust it to get rid of all the dust build up and that could fix the issue but it may need to be replaced as well. But that's just a guess. It looks similar to encoder issues but I have never seen this pattern before and I work on a lot of machines!
I had ordered a generic one awhile back for my 1204 and never needed it, The 1304 T-fence had some spots that would not clean off, so I put the generic encoder in. That made no difference in the print. The printer was really dirty, took it apart and clean everything. Recently I purchased a couple of Mutoh 900 sublimation printers from a guy who just wanted to get rid of them. They were very clean but the heads were bad, but I got spare pinch rollers which I needed and a lot of spare parts. I took one of the encoder wheels from the 900 and put it on the 1304, could that be the problem?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Try adjusting the media feed. Depending upon the printing pattern you are using, the Mutoh printers will give you vertical banding if the media feed is off, especially in the wave pattern.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The encoder disc for the RJ900 and VJ1304 are the same so you should be good there. You might clean it with alcohol to be sure there is no grease or dust build up on it. Air dust the sensor for that one too!

Ppcwilly

The encoder disc for the RJ900 and VJ1304 are the same so you should be good there. You might clean it with alcohol to be sure there is no grease or dust build up on it. Air dust the sensor for that one too!
I cleaned both the pf and cr sensor and encoder wheel, no change. Thanks for your input!

Ppcwilly

Try adjusting the media feed. Depending upon the printing pattern you are using, the Mutoh printers will give you vertical banding if the media feed is off, especially in the wave pattern.
Hey Jim, Thanks adjusting my media feed seems to have worked.

Ppcwilly

Question do I need to input my head rank info from the new head. Some have said it does not matter, will that have an impact on my print quality? Thanks

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You're welcome on the media feed tip!

Absolutely you should input the head rank! Will it hurt the head if you don't? Maybe, maybe not, depends upon who you ask. But!!! If it wasn't important, why would the manufacturer go to the trouble of putting it on the head? I do know some of the code has to do with the fine tuning of how the head fires. Don't know what else...

But I ran into a situation once where a solvent printer had a water based head rank input and it oversprayed like crazy. Changed it to the correct head rank and the overspray disappeared. So, it is important.

Last edited: