• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon 48 Potential purchase

MachServTech

If you guys dont want to believe ProWraps, fine.....but He is correct. Take it from a technician that has worked on Mutoh Falcon Outdoor series printers. They are pop rivet junk.
I like to rehab solvent and UV machines and turn them for a profit. I wont touch one of those because they are unreliable (in so many ways!) I dont want a customer coming back week after week complaining I sold him a lemon.
I can give you a short list of machines I would recommend buying used. (if you want to do this yourself) All of those machines I would recommend you understand how to properly:
Install, tune and calibrate a solvent printhead
Replace the x and Y axis motors
Replace Pumps, Caps and Dampers
Understand the print alignment procedures
Be able to troubleshoot error codes

The falcon outdoor series didnt even print well when they were new. ...sorry

integritysigns

Mach,

I'm very interested in a short list of machines (any brand). I'm not afraid to replace physical parts, or troubleshoot codes. As long as I have a service manual or a writeup on head calibration/alignment, I don't fear that aspect either.

MachServTech

Ok, Here's a list of what I like:

Seiko Colorpainter 64
HP 9000s
These both need a printhead alignment tool. (more of a jig than a tool)

Roland SolJet Pro II 645ex
Roland SolJet Pro III
Not bad to work on....very predictable and reliable

Mutoh 1604 and 1614
good print quality...some flaky main board issues.

Mimaki JV33 or JV3 (in good condition)
not the most reliable....but very easy to get parts for.

IF you can get your hands on one....new machines worth buying are the Epson GS6000 (best image quality and easy to take car of) and the HP Latex L25500.(the easiest printer to deal with.....no cleaning, no fumes AT ALL...never any banding, but grainier print quality than the Epson.....oh and the HP Latex has user replaceable print heads...ala waterbased printers! )

Good Luck!

http://www.digitsmith.com/roland-soljet-pro-ii-v-sj-645-ex-sale-10703.html

http://www.digitsmith.com/roland-soljet-pro-ii-v-sj-645-ex-sale-10703.html

Jackpine

I've had a Falcon for since they came out and they print very good. A little slow maybe but that too has not been an issue. I have replaced parts as you would repair a car. I even use what some think is a not so good rip in Ciberprint. My printer is in excellent condition and prints like it. I have printed from Flexi and I would select Ciberprint everytime. There are a lot of variables in printing. The problem is as randa said, learn the rip and the capabilities of the printer and you will do well. Maybe the issue is the same as in the rest of the trade....knowledge or the lack of.
While these are not as fast and easy as a ValueJet nor as forgiving in set up.
In the hands of a skilled operator, these printers print very well.

Stealth Ryder

I've had a Falcon for since they came out and they print very good. A little slow maybe but that too has not been an issue. I have replaced parts as you would repair a car. I even use what some think is a not so good rip in Ciberprint. My printer is in excellent condition and prints like it. I have printed from Flexi and I would select Ciberprint everytime. There are a lot of variables in printing. The problem is as randa said, learn the rip and the capabilities of the printer and you will do well. Maybe the issue is the same as in the rest of the trade....knowledge or the lack of.

Very Good Advice Sir...

MachServTech

While these are not as fast and easy as a ValueJet nor as forgiving in set up.
In the hands of a skilled operator, these printers print very well.

Ok, sure....they print just great. But why would an operator want to fight with a unit like that? Media lever assembled with pop rivets. Poor quality heater components, no usb support, not to mention a box full of broken spindle components i still have in my garage! Come on...it was a dog 5 years ago.....I mean I like Mutoh and all, but that one was a pain!

Let me be clear.....Im talking about the Mutoh Falcon Outdoor II.......$2000 is a waste of money.

if integritysigns was speaking about a Falcon II......that's a different story....ts more of a workhorse machine...$2000 is a fair price for a working machine.

Border

If you have the time to mess with it and all-out production is not an issue for you right now, then I think there is a good value in getting an old printer cheap and gaining the knowledge it takes to get it back up and running well.

With that knowledge, you will be leaps ahead when you are able to upgrade to a new or newer printer and will be much less likely to mess up a perfectly good printer with rookie mistakes!

Especially if you don't have the money right now for a more expensive/newer printer.
But I agree that $2000 is too much for that one when it needs new print heads (at least).

Stealth Ryder

If you have the time to mess with it and all-out production is not an issue for you right now, then I think there is a good value in getting an old printer cheap and gaining the knowledge it takes to get it back up and running well.

With that knowledge, you will be leaps ahead when you are able to upgrade to a new or newer printer and will be much less likely to mess up a perfectly good printer with rookie mistakes!

Especially if you don't have the money right now for a more expensive/newer printer.
But I agree that $2000 is too much for that one when it needs new print heads (at least).

My sentiments as well Sir...

SE SignSupply

Ok, sure....they print just great. But why would an operator want to fight with a unit like that? Media lever assembled with pop rivets. Poor quality heater components, no usb support, not to mention a box full of broken spindle components i still have in my garage! Come on...it was a dog 5 years ago.....I mean I like Mutoh and all, but that one was a pain!

Let me be clear.....Im talking about the Mutoh Falcon Outdoor II.......$2000 is a waste of money.

if integritysigns was speaking about a Falcon II......that's a different story....ts more of a workhorse machine...$2000 is a fair price for a working machine.

I think you're confused on the Mutoh models. There is a Falcon Outdoor (JR., 48", 62"). Mutoh also made a Falcon II Outdoor (F2O), which was the same as a rockhopper.

MachServTech

I think you're confused on the Mutoh models. There is a Falcon Outdoor (JR., 48", 62"). Mutoh also made a Falcon II Outdoor (F2O), which was the same as a rockhopper.

I stand corrected "Falcon Outdoor JR." is the one I was calling out as bad. and since my brain can only process images and cannot get my facts straight...
printer I was referring to attached

Attachments

• bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 92