• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Ink Cartridge problems

Signs Excetra

Is anyone having problems with Mutoh ink cartridges? In the last six months I have had at least ten cartridges where the plastic disc inside the cartridge has come loose (while in the machine) so will not pop out to tell the machine when cartridge is out of ink so machine will continue printing, ruining the print and causing havoc with the machine. Mutoh claims no one else is having this problem which I find really hard to believe.:frustrated:

Sign Eagle

We have had several problems, the tab broke free I think twice, but we have had a problem with the cartridge running dry with no indication many time. We use an average of 8 -10 cartidges per month and buy from Fellers. We have sent a number of the bad units back to Fellers who have sent them back to Mutoh. We have been told the problem was solved and any thing made after Aug 2010 should be ok, but we have had problems with ink made in Sept also. What is the date stamped on the most recent cartridge you have had a problem with? Just Friday we started discussing trying a 3rd party ink.

SlightlyChilled

Yep just like the capping stations that were swelling.. OOO no they said but we had like 20 people here. And to top it off we cant seem to make it happen in our labs. Well how about you stop on buy my lab and I can show you. I still have not got my replacements or the little mesh things

Signs Excetra

Mine were swelling also, of course it wasn't Mutoh's fault. We bought a new one replaced it, not more than a couple of days later we started having problems again, swelling up, etc... had to take it apart and put it inside a phone book to dry out until I could get one of the new ones. Finally got the one with the mesh screen, only waited about eight weeks. Seems to be working okay now. Funny how there wasn't a problem but they found a fix??? The ink problem is really getting to me, I spent most the day on the phone with Mutoh Friday. After much discussion they will be replacing my unopened ink cartridges, I don't even want to use them as recently almost every one I have used the plastic thing has de-laminated from the bag so the machine does not know the cartridge is empty. Hopefully the new ones will not do this. Mutoh wants me to send the faulty cartridges to them. I'm not real willing to do that and told them so. They don't understand saying that they only want to help me. My thinking is if I send them in then they can pretend like it never happened. I think they should look at the ones I have returned to Fellers and also to one of their reps when I attended Sign Plus and Banners open house two weekends ago. Also funny thing on my cartridges, one has a double label, if you peel the label up you can see there was a different p/n number on it originally and another one the manufacture date has had a sticker put over it with another date on it. Just a thought but since there aren't that many of us Mutoh Falcon Outdoor users anymore do they have alot of old ink that they are re-labeling just to get rid of it and putting there problems onto us? I asked Mutoh the same thing and they said they can't imagine why there are double labels on mine, that's why they want to see them. The people I am speaking with seem very nice, but somebody there knows what's going on and just won't fess up. When I first called Mutoh on the delamination problem I was told that we were inserting the cartridges too roughly. Imagine that, we've had this printer for six years and never had this problem but now within the last year we all of a sudden are being too rough? They then said they aren't blaming us just that accidents happen especially when you are in a hurry. I love how they blame us! Like we don't know how to change a cartridge after six years! Now as of Friday the story has changed and Mutoh said there must be something broken in the cartridge support assembly. Mutoh told us to take the inks out and then the back off and they were absolutely sure there was something broken back there that was breaking the cartridges. Well we did, there's nothing in there that can make those tabs break. Nice try but not going to work, they need to figure out what is wrong with their cartridges. Nice to know someone else is having the problems with the cartridges also since they said I was absolutely the only one!

CheapVehicleWrap

Congratulations for finding a use for phone books! I'll start saving mine from now on. Here's ANOTHER possibility for the MANY Mutoh ink problems.....counterfeit inks! Yes, possibly Fellers and other distributors got a deal on what was supposed to be OEM cartridges and EVERYONE got burned. The mere accusation should warrant a full blown investigation involving nearly every government agency ever created. And the introduction of holographic stickers (I love those).

Joy_Colorwen

I have a customer who also have the same problem, Mutoh cartridges getting loose and all that. He showed me the cartrdiges and i was like...what...these are OEM???... :omg2:...and the cartridges are so expansive
Good 3rd party inks FTW lol

Signs Excetra

Not sure what the dates have been as I have either recycled them at Staples or sent them back. I believe the most recent one was Oct 2010. The ones I have here that went bad last Friday are, May 2010, August 2010 and then the best one of all is June 2010 but that one has a sticker put over the original date and stamp. Underneath sticker is hard to read but looks like it says manufacture date Nov 2011. So what the heck is that all about? Also the Aug 2010 cartridge has a double label, label underneath has a different p/n#. That's why I'm uncomfortable about sending these back.

Signs Excetra

That's probably what I will do although it will be hard to see in pictures. I know I sound bitchy but these problems have been very very frustrating. Not to mention the waste of time, materials, labor. I could go on and on. We now have to limit the amount and type of jobs we take in as we can not trust our printer. We can't get a consistent print, the colors change, the ink runs out and the printer doesn't tell you. Many many times we have had to re-do a job 3-4 times just to get it right. We've had to reprint entire wrap jobs, you can't make a profit doing business this way, not to mention the customers you're losing. They understand at first, but then it just starts to sound like excuses to them.

Signs Excetra

I received my new cartridges from Mutoh. These are different from the ones I have been having problems with. So Mutoh says there is no problems with the cartridges, then why have they been changed???? My problematic cartridges are flimsy and have different openings in them, almost like they are generic cartridges. I really hope these new ones work better.

Signs Excetra

Dear Mutoh, Please please please admit when you are having a problem. Then us Falcon Outdoor users won't spend our money on useless repairs and our time on tons of frustration!!! Most of us are just little guys and you have really hurt us!

randya

Of course there has been issues with cartridges.
They have not caused problems for most of our users.
Sorry, if they have for you.
We have gone back to the original cartridges, that should be what you are seeing now.

CheapVehicleWrap

Of course there has been issues with cartridges.
They have not caused problems for most of our users.
Sorry, if they have for you.
We have gone back to the original cartridges, that should be what you are seeing now.

Randy, How about ink formulation?

Signs Excetra

I will soon have all the new cartridges and I am really looking forward to installing all of them and seeing how my prints look.

Signs Excetra

Amongst many other problems...I am not aware that Mutoh has even admitted the ink issue as of yet.

Wow, I assumed they had already done that. I'm new to this forum so not up to date on everything but I thought since everyone had problems and everyone knows they changed....... I guess I shouldn't assume!