• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1204 missing black nozzles only

djbracing

We have a Mutoh VJ1204, we are running OEM inks except for the black which is a 440ml after market cartridge. We have been running it for around a year without issue, until now!

It started to band on the black, so I did some head soaks, and the usual routine. It recovered them mostly, but we were still having issues, so I replaced the black dampers (what a mistake that was now looking back!). The o-rings were damaged in the process so replaced those, and now have the dampers sealed. The problem is the black nozzles are around 97% blocked. So I cannot get the capping station to pull any ink through into the dampers, I have used a syringe to pull through the bottom of the damper, but I would like to pull through the bottom of the capping station so I can get all the air out and good vacuum on the dampers, but I cannot seem to get a good enough connection to force the ink through the blocked nozzles.

Does anyone have any tips for this scenario? I have been head soaking, re-wetting every 10 mins for the last few hours, and have recovered some nozzles. But the problem is there is no ink being pulled into the dampers, so after a few nozzle tests it just runs our of ink and wont pull any more.

Our printer has been down for 3 days now so getting really anxious about getting it back online! Any help greatly appreciated, and please let me know if you need any further details.

goforit14

We have a Mutoh VJ1204, we are running OEM inks except for the black which is a 440ml after market cartridge. We have been running it for around a year without issue, until now!

It started to band on the black, so I did some head soaks, and the usual routine. It recovered them mostly, but we were still having issues, so I replaced the black dampers (what a mistake that was now looking back!). The o-rings were damaged in the process so replaced those, and now have the dampers sealed. The problem is the black nozzles are around 97% blocked. So I cannot get the capping station to pull any ink through into the dampers, I have used a syringe to pull through the bottom of the damper, but I would like to pull through the bottom of the capping station so I can get all the air out and good vacuum on the dampers, but I cannot seem to get a good enough connection to force the ink through the blocked nozzles.

Does anyone have any tips for this scenario? I have been head soaking, re-wetting every 10 mins for the last few hours, and have recovered some nozzles. But the problem is there is no ink being pulled into the dampers, so after a few nozzle tests it just runs our of ink and wont pull any more.

Our printer has been down for 3 days now so getting really anxious about getting it back online! Any help greatly appreciated, and please let me know if you need any further details.

Take the right cover off , (the also need to take the orange lever off) then do a cleaning cycle. watch under the capping station for ink to flow downwards towards the waste tray, if the ink doesnt flow check for dried ink in the lines . you can clean this by taking them off and using cleaning solution push the dried ink with a bobby pin , also check the capping station itself.

djbracing

Take the right cover off , (the also need to take the orange lever off) then do a cleaning cycle. watch under the capping station for ink to flow downwards towards the waste tray, if the ink doesnt flow check for dried ink in the lines . you can clean this by taking them off and using cleaning solution push the dried ink with a bobby pin , also check the capping station itself.

Hi goforit14, thanks for the reply. I have all the covers off currently and when I do a charge or clean no ink moves in the black lines. I can still see the air bubbles and they do not move. Also if I pull directly from the bottom of the capping station with a syringe I get some cyan coming through but no black. They are really blocked. I have the head soaking overnight, so I will see if there is any improvement in the morning I guess.

heyskull

Your pump/maintenance station is blocked.
It is possible to clear it but it is a bit hit and miss and a really messy job.
Personally if it were me I would buy a complete maintenance station with new pump etc.

If you want to try and clear the pump I would fill the capping station with cleaning fluid and try to soften the hardened ink in the pipework.
Also their is a joining piece from the cap to the pump which reduces the size of the pipe these block very easily and need cleaned in cleaning solution.
After a while you should be able to squeeze the slightly softened dried ink out of the tubes. This should come out like pencil lead!
I would keep filling the cap with solution and run small cleans until you are getting ink through both lines of the pump.

SC

djbracing

Your pump/maintenance station is blocked.
It is possible to clear it but it is a bit hit and miss and a really messy job.
Personally if it were me I would buy a complete maintenance station with new pump etc.

If you want to try and clear the pump I would fill the capping station with cleaning fluid and try to soften the hardened ink in the pipework.
Also their is a joining piece from the cap to the pump which reduces the size of the pipe these block very easily and need cleaned in cleaning solution.
After a while you should be able to squeeze the slightly softened dried ink out of the tubes. This should come out like pencil lead!
I would keep filling the cap with solution and run small cleans until you are getting ink through both lines of the pump.

SC

Hi thanks for the reply. I have also filled the capping station with fluid many times. It seems to be flowing through the pump fine. I have also pulled the solution through the lines at the bottom of the pump without any issues that I can see. Also the other 3 colors are still working fine, and seem to be pulling in for those, it just wont pull the black ink. I guess its blocked because of the ink we have been using, so I am switching back to OEM, but need to get the nozzles unblocked first.

goforit14

Mine had the same problem, you will get it to work im sure just do maintenance on it, the pump still needs to be replaced later on so start saving up for than but for now you're good just get everything nice and clean. there's a small piece by the capping station that might get clogged just take a look its has a small spring mechanism and that's what helps the vacuum action. thumbs up for the above replier , let me know if you need help i can send you a picture later on but im sure you can figure all out not biggie here

FatCat

Hi thanks for the reply. I have also filled the capping station with fluid many times. It seems to be flowing through the pump fine. I have also pulled the solution through the lines at the bottom of the pump without any issues that I can see. Also the other 3 colors are still working fine, and seem to be pulling in for those, it just wont pull the black ink. I guess its blocked because of the ink we have been using, so I am switching back to OEM, but need to get the nozzles unblocked first.

Realize that there are 2 drain lines on a 1204 MS. Fluid can still drain through one side or the other if one tube is blocked. Typically, what experiences blockage first is the black/blue line - probably because the density of the ink of those 2 colors vs Magenta/Yellow. An easy way to test to see if your line is blocked is use a syringe to pull ink through each of the drain lines with the head removed off the cap. *You have to pinch off the other line while doing this or it defeats the purpose.

I would bet you find your black line plugged. Getting it clear can be a bit of a pain. You will have to gently push/pull solvent through the line, sometimes you have to unhook the line and use something thin and long to push out dried ink plugs. However, once you get it clear, your pump should have the power to pull the plugs out of your head. Regardless, you need to see ink pumping through both lines when doing a cleaning cycle.

As I keep telling everyone with a VJ machine, the critical part of these machines is the MS itself. Keeping the lines clear, the pump functioning and a good seal between the head and cap will usually remedy most of the common problems you see posted on this forum.

**The one thing I can't say for sure about is your choice of 3rd party black ink. Black seems to be the achilles heel of most 3rd party inks for these machines. Especially with the 1204 series because the drain lines are so small. If you're looking for a good quality 3rd party ink, I have been running one in my 1204 for nearly 3 years with not 1 problem. PM me if you want more info.

Good luck.