• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MY LITTLE DOG ATE A BAG OF CHOCOLATE CANDY!!!!! i'm terrified!

GypsyGraphics

it's sunday night at 11pm... ellie, my miniature schnauzer has eaten a bag of m&m's!!!

she's 16 lbs... ate what amounts to about one of those king size (i guess single serving) bags of peanut m&m's.

everything i'm reading is scaring the heck of me!

but if she's not she's not vomiting or acting hyperactive, does that mean she's ok???

GypsyGraphics

crap... why do all you dog lovers have to live on the east coast????

husband and sons playing back to back hockey games tonight and won't be home for at least an hour!

how can you guys sleep at time like this?

noregrets

I am not sure where you are, but most vets around here have an after hours number to call.....hopefully the same for you. Hope it all goes well!!

GypsyGraphics

just called my vet, their message gave the number to a 24 emergency vet.

they said it's been too long to try and make her throw it up. but considering she ate a 6oz bag and a lot of that is peanut... she'll probably be ok. but if she starts throwing up or get diarrhea, to bring her in.

i sure hope they're right... ellie's been my constant companion for 5 years... i don't know what i do without her :(

i hate being alone when something goes wrong. my youngest is home but sick and already asleep.

thanks for your help guys!

i feel so dumb not knowing there were 24 hour vets

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good luck with this,
I had no idea chocolate was that bad for dogs.

wayne k
guam usa

phototec

Learn how much of each kind of chocolate can harm your best friend.

Here is a chart to determine how much is bad for your doggie:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive.html

I think I would take her to the Vet in the morning for a checkup, I have read It takes about 7 1/2 hours for half of the theobromine to be removed from the body and another 7 1/2 hours for half of what is left to be removed and so on.

I hope all goes well, she is ok!

GypsyGraphics

Here is a chart to determine how much is bad for your doggie:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive.html

I think I would take her to the Vet in the morning for a checkup, I have read It takes about 7 1/2 hours for half of the theobromine to be removed from the body and another 7 1/2 hours for half of what is left to be removed and so on.

I hope all goes well, she is ok!

wow... that's a great way to check to the amount of chocolate against the weight of your dog for the level of danger. other sites had similar info, but you had to do the calculations yourself... i'm not even good at math when i not stressed.

16 lb dog / milk chocolate

2.28 oz. Vomiting and Diarrhea
4.57 oz. Rapid Heartbeat
6.86 oz. Tremors and Seizures
11.43 oz. Potential Death

scary... but important to know!

been at least 2 hours now... so far so good.

shakey0818

Thats good hes ok . probably no worries then.But i could have used that formula last night when i ate 20 mini packs of skittles.

GypsyGraphics

it was like a series of unfortunate events...

it all started yesterday, when my husband and i ate my youngest son's little bag of m&m's.

while i was out today, i bought him a big bag to replace the one we ate. turned out he wasn't feeling well and set it on the coffee table while he watched tv, but then fell asleep.

ellie never leaves my side unless someone in the house is sick... she always cuddles up to whoever isn't feeling well.

a little before 9 pm my son got up and wanted some soup. i think it was around 9:30 that he went to bed and i was doing dishes, that ellie pulled off the candy heist.... the little punk.

is the lesson...
a) don't steal your kid's candy
b) don't give candy to sick kids
c) don't leave candy on the coffee table
d) don't do dishes

i'm going with all of the above, except don't steal your kid's candy.... everything would have been fine if the story ended there.

1:15 am, she still seems okay. don't think i'll be sleeping tonight though.

shakey0818

I fell asleep for 1/2 hr tonight with the window open i woke up to something hitting my foot.the dam raccoon i just fed an hour b4 that came in ate the cats roof and had the balls to wake me up and feed him again.Im really glad ya dogs gonna be ok. I cant stand it to see animals in danger or hurt especially when they are such good companions.

GypsyGraphics

thanks shakey... she truly is a great companion!

is that raccoon your pet, or the little guy just comes in because he knows you'll feed him?

Last edited:

shakey0818

He is wild theres 4 coming around now 2 come in a little and i can pet and hand feed them.The others are still hibernating.but at the peak last year i was sitting outside surrounded by 8-12 of them while they ate.Not to mention the 3 possum that im scared of and the 4 skunks that are a little temperamental.Costs more than $100 a month to feed but its well worth it.

shakey0818

Ty,Yeah i am it started out just throwing leftovers and food outside and trying to get close to these 2 raccoons,they became so comfortable when they each had 4 babies they brought them around too.It still amazes me how gentle wild animals can till i forget who is who and get bit.Have a good night GG and try to get some sleep.:Sleeping:

artbot

my maltipoo ate a whole box of dark chocolate zone bars once. no problem. although chocolate is bad for dogs, from what i've heard, it's long term exposure to chocolate that is truly bad.